• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

Wow. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Good stuff BB. Of course, I'd feel a bit better if that was Bobby Beathard or even Bill Polian saying that instead of Herd, but I'll take what I can get.

After 24 hours to digest everything...

1. My initial reaction centered on disbelief and complete anger at the front office.
2. I still think we shouldn't have made Fuller a part of the deal.
3. I knew all along that Kirk was not returning (we all knew).
4. I still want a different GM.
5. I would've offered a second rounder and I think KC would've done that deal.
6. Some are suggesting that a tag and trade deal for Kirk could happen - maybe so, but I doubt it.

and...

7. It happened, so I accept the trade and move on. Welcome, Alex Smith.

After 24 hours to digest everything...

1. My initial reaction centered on disbelief and complete anger at the front office.
2. I still think we shouldn't have made Fuller a part of the deal.
3. I knew all along that Kirk was not returning (we all knew).
4. I still want a different GM.
5. I would've offered a second rounder and I think KC would've done that deal.
6. Some are suggesting that a tag and trade deal for Kirk could happen - maybe so, but I doubt it.

and...

7. It happened, so I accept the trade and move on. Welcome, Alex Smith.

Broncos were offering a second and Talib so just a second wouldn't have done it plus Some other teams

I have no problem we said goodbye to Cousins and discussions of what he deserves :)

The issue to me is what we are going to have instead and why the team had to move so quickly for the first guy that came available at age 33/34.

I was hoping we were going to draft a replacement and build solidly from the ground up while at the same time drafting or trading for pro receivers for our young qb to throw to.

If we had to start Colt for a few weeks or even most of the first year, so what?

We have waited 25 years for a team we can be really excited about.

Another 6-12 months is not asking for much.

My main issue with Smith is, his team was ahead 21-3 at halftime of the playoff game against the Bills.

All they had to do was have perhaps TWO good drives in the second half for points and they would have won going away.

Instead they allowed a flawed Buffalo team to steam roll them as if Taylor was Brady and the Bills were suddenly the Patriots.

Imagine Smith going up against the Eagles defense? or Minnesota's? or Jacksonville's?

He seems to have the same limitations that Kirk has.

Talib was nothing more than a window display in the trade. The Browns would've released him as soon as the deal was consummated.

I think we all guessed that Kirk didn't want to come back and the Redskins had decided by mid-season to write him off and make a move in another direction in the offseason.

The issue was what was going to happen and when.

The fact it was this soon (before the Super Bowl) brought out a lot of the teams that need a quarterback to show how desperate they are.

Cleveland is beyond desperate. The NY Jets are in the same boat.

Jacksonville is probably the most attractive place for Cousins to go and if I were him I would go there for LESS money and have a team ready to win something.

Going to Cleveland, NY Jets, Arizona are second-tier destinations.

I have no problem we said goodbye to Cousins and discussions of what he deserves :)

The issue to me is what we are going to have instead and why the team had to move so quickly for the first guy that came available at age 33/34.

I was hoping we were going to draft a replacement and build solidly from the ground up while at the same time drafting or trading for pro receivers for our young qb to throw to.

If we had to start Colt for a few weeks or even most of the first year, so what?

My main issue with Smith is, his team was ahead 21-3 at halftime of the playoff game against the Bills.

All they had to do was have perhaps TWO good drives in the second half for points and they would have won going away.

Instead they allowed a flawed Buffalo team to steam roll them as if Taylor was Brady and the Bills were suddenly the Patriots.

Imagine Smith going up against the Eagles defense? or Minnesota's? or Jacksonville's?

That was the Titans
The bills did beat them in the regular season though that was more on the defense which faded away for awhile

Right about the Titans, not Bills.

But still, playing at home with a 21-3 lead against a team with a limited offense you still don't close them out?

That gives one pause on whether Smith has what it takes to make that 5% difference when it really counts.

The true effect of this deal will not be known until we see what compensation we get for Kirk, and what the future, long term plan is at the position.

What concerns me is losing a quality, young player and a draft pick for a stop gap. If we can get something better than the 4th round pick we spent for Cousins from the NFL, then it won't be such a loss, but that 4th is equivalent to a 5th round pick since those picks come at the end of the round. If that's the case, we got robbed. I like Alex Smith, but is is just a 4 year older version of Cousins, and is not the future of the franchise.

My fear is that we will over reach for a young QB in the 1st round of the draft which means we sill end up spending wayyyyy too much for that position with so many other needs at hand. I will not be a bit surprised to see a trade up into the top 10 for a QB to mold behind Smith. That would make the trade terrible!

Not opposed to the trade in theory, just need to see what the plan is for the long term of the position.

The worst part of the trade is that it means we're stuck with Gruden for likely at least 3 more years. It will be nice when we make the playoffs one more time under his tenure, and 2 other years at 6-10 or 7-9 before we move on to a real head coach.

Your posts might beg to differ.

Flawed. Yes, we have waited that long for a contender, but another 6, 12, or even 24 months is not going to change the narrative. Yet. No matter whether we got fleeced (I don't think we did) or did the best we could with the situation we found ourselves in (no matter that the FO screwed up in putting us there to begin with), we are still a couple of seasons away from making legitimate noise. Best case scenario of course.

Absolutely true. Not Smith's fault though. At least not entirely. Blame his coach first. Reid has struggled in the playoffs for a reason. With the Chiefs and the Eagles. Besides, last I checked it was still a team game...

Again, flawed. He is not an elite QB; as I've said before and no doubt will say again, very few are. I can almost count them on the fingers of one finger. He is. however, more mobile, more experienced, and more savvy when it comes to not giving up stupid, incomprehensible picks or other mind-numbingly bizarre plays that have cost us closely contested games over KC's tenure. Let me be clear on this: I love Cousins' heart, his talent, etc etc; I still do believe he will wind up his career THIS CLOSE to the Hall. He won't, nor should he, get in...but he will win a LOT of games. Thing is, dude wants an awful lot of money that does not correspond to his ability or results. He is simply smart enough to know which way the wind is blowing, when and why, and take advantage of the same. I don't fault him for that. But to say that picking up Smith when Cousins was clearly out the door is foolish, is just incorrect, and I feel reactionary. Smith still has a lot of good football left in him, he seems to want to come here, and I believe the results will bear that out. Period.

The true effect of this deal will not be known until we see what compensation we get for Kirk, and what the future, long term plan is at the position.

What concerns me is losing a quality, young player and a draft pick for a stop gap. If we can get something better than the 4th round pick we spent for Cousins from the NFL, then it won't be such a loss, but that 4th is equivalent to a 5th round pick since those picks come at the end of the round. If that's the case, we got robbed. I like Alex Smith, but is is just a 4 year older version of Cousins, and is not the future of the franchise.

My fear is that we will over reach for a young QB in the 1st round of the draft which means we sill end up spending wayyyyy too much for that position with so many other needs at hand. I will not be a bit surprised to see a trade up into the top 10 for a QB to mold behind Smith. That would make the trade terrible!

Not opposed to the trade in theory, just need to see what the plan is for the long term of the position.

The worst part of the trade is that it means we're stuck with Gruden for likely at least 3 more years. It will be nice when we make the playoffs one more time under his tenure, and 2 other years at 6-10 or 7-9 before we move on to a real head coach.

We are not going to draft a QB in the first round. I'm thinking they go DE or ILB in the first round second round something else

We are not going to draft a QB in the first round. I'm thinking they go DE or ILB in the first round second round something else

I would not put anything past this FO...remember, they traded 3 first and a second round pick to move up and pick RG3.

To find a source of any kind, that actually praises the Redskins' FO for their handling of the Cousins' situation from start to finish, is almost non-existent.
I'm just the messenger...of the messenger.

You pay $120 million for special — not merely good.

Washington was ripped to shreds for its handling of Cousins' contract, but, in hindsight, the front office handled it perfectly. They didn't give into Cousins and overpay for a good-but-not great quarterback, knowing that the 2018 offseason would offer plenty of viable replacement options at a cheaper cost.

The Redskins' patience paid off. As did their urgency in targeting their man and making a deal for him before any of the other interested teams could. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that as many as six teams had inquired about the Smith. Washington had competition.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/nfl-redskins-chiefs-trade-alex-smith-kirk-cousins-contract

Last edited:
Just curious, has there been any Cousins comments since the team told him and his agent to GFYS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.