• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Our 2018 starting QB will be....

Six days ago Cousins said he's “fully invested” in being the quarterback for the Redskins “in 2018 or beyond”, that he thinks the team is “all in” on re-signing him, and that Dan Snyder has been “phenomenal” in expressing the team's interest in him.

Yesterday it's reported that he would “seriously consider” signing with the Browns.

Sounds like a concerted effort between the player and his representatives to drive the market price and I have no problem with anyone trying to maximize their potential future earnings. I do have a problem with the way it's being played. Spare me the Saint Kirk act. If you are a mercenary, be a mercenary, and stop with the acting job. He's not fooling anyone.

Well, almost no one.

When you are open to being with a team that is 1-31 in the last two seasons, it's about the money.

I can respect someone more for being honest, even if it's an opinion or behavior I don't like. Just be honest and drop the "God is telling me to this, that and the other" routine.

God wouldn't tell anyone to go to Cleveland.

I didn't say it wasn't deceptive, and I'm not endorsing Kirks religious beliefs.. He's working the system to produce the best scenario for himself long term. I don't personally think it's all about the money. Money is a factor, absolutely. I think the ability to win football games is his biggest factor. He has the ability to win football game here, so he 'want's' to be here. He also may have a better situation in Denver, which opens the door for his consideration. If Denver were to come calling with an equal payday as the Redskins, then the situation for him might be better. To use the contract @ $50 mil a year is unfair because that is literally not ever even a possibility. Of course everyone has a price, but those numbers, with the current cap / pay structure in place, are not going to happen... yet. I do think it's coming. I do believe that he may take a lesser contract if he has the option to go to a better situation. Multiple factors can play into that situation.. Location, team talent, HC / OC, FO, etc. Money matters, of course it does, but I don't think it's the ONLY thing that matters. To respond to your statement... anyone would sign at 10 years / $50 mil per.... just like nobody would sign 5 years / $5mil per, regardless of the other circumstances. Extreme measures can be too much to overcome, but if it came down to $5 mil difference over a 3 year contract, I could see him opting more for the better scenario with the other factors, and the bottom line $ amount is not the end all. That is what he means by the $$ is not everything.

He's not Saint Kirk. I never said he was.... I'm just saying that the dude is doing what he needs to do, and it's no different than any other 'coach speak' or 'pc' response we've been fed for a LOOONG time with people in his position. If he was to come out and say "yeah I'd NEVER sign with Cleveland" than he's not only burning a bridge, he's also painting himself as a malcontent and a problem.

While I agree with a lot of your comments (ST) and it's good to have some folks on the other side of the discussion, I have moved 180 degrees in how I view the situation.

I particularly agree with 'destination of choice' - even beyond the franchise stuff. The DC metro area *could be* viewed as an overcrowded, expensive, congested area with high taxes and bad weather (too damn hot in the summer, cold in the winter). I love the area myself, but comparing it to a lot of other NFL destinations, it can be hard to 'compete'. But then people are arguing he's going to go to Cleveland - so I'm not sure that's really in play here :) One factor in player decisions that NFL fans almost never think about, but should, is what a player's wife and family want. Wanting to go to a certain geographic place to be closer to family, or for lots of other reasons, it's not just being decided by a player in many cases.

I haven't heard anyone argue Kirk doesn't 'have the right' to do whatever he wants. But I'm not an HR rep. I'm a fan. Fans are always going to respond negatively when a player demonstrates (or is suspected of) not caring as much about a team as we do. I'll tell you guys a secret...NONE of these players cares about the Redskins as a franchise in terms anywhere near how a fan might. It just doesn't work that way. It's their JOB, they treat it as such, and that's perfectly normal.

Before I tell you why I'm really irked with Cousins, I'll deflate one other argument - the 'taking care of my family' stance. If Cousins were a kicker or long-snapper, I'd give him a pass on the 'NFL careers are short. I need to make as much as I can while I can' argument. But Cousins is a rich man. He's been a rich man for quite awhile now. The evil and incompetent Redskins organization that won't pay the man guaranteed he will never want for money for the rest of his life. He (and his extended family) will never have to worry about money again. Right now. He could retire and live a life of luxury. Right. This. Minute. All because the Washington Redskins valued him enough to tag him several times as their most precious commodity.

I have turned on Kirk because he's full of shit brother. Again - I'm not on an interview team, and I don't work for HR. Yes - 'saying the right things' (if you think that's what he is doing) is smart. Kirk is super-duper smart. But that doesn't change the fact that he's not being honest or sincere. No one can argue that he's being honest or sincere. He claims the Redskins have made him a very worthwhile offer. He claims that he is 'committed to being a Redskin'. He acknowledges that the Redskins have made him a rich man, but states that he is not all about the money. But not only has he not signed a LTD, he and his agent have not even been willing to negotiate in good faith, make counter offers, etc.. He's a slick, articulate, smart guy. But he's flat out lying to this fanbase when he says he really, really wants to remain a Redskin. He's not compelled to lie. He's not compelled to call his own press events where he spouts the same bullshit. He's not even compelled to speak about his plans or his contract. But he does all that, and what he says is a bunch of bullshit.

And when someone does that, I'm going to lose respect for him. As I have for Kirk Cousins.

No problem from me if Cousins doesn't want to be here (for any reason). My problem lies with him pretending he does want to be - when he clearly doesn't. And honestly - fans deserve better from a guy they've supported for years.

I also think a factor that creates a lot of resentment for fans (you see this galore on Twitter) is the *uncertainty* that the Cousins situation has represented for Skins fans, and which seemingly goes on and on. Even Gruden has expressed fatigue with it. Meanwhile, Cousins puts it out there that they want to extend the uncertainty as long as possible by entering free agency and exploring every option. Again - an approach that flies in the face of 90% of the rest of what he's said, and which just compounds and extends the uncertainty.

He's also screwing his current team over. Because instead of being able to nail down QB plans, and be able to plan for FA and the draft with knowables, they have to work along numerous fronts, possibilities, and scenarios. That hurts this team immensely - and it's 100% the result of Cousins being unwilling or interested in getting a deal done now.

No problem from me if Cousins doesn't want to be here (for any reason). My problem lies with him pretending he does want to be - when he clearly doesn't. And honestly - fans deserve better from a guy they've supported for years.

I'll respond with this, and it makes sense in my head, but let me see if I can put it into text. I'm not trying to 'right a wrong' here, or make some sort of an argument on one side of 'pro kirk / anti kirk' argument. My personal stance on the situation is that I'm over the drama. I'm over the back and forth, and I'm over the nonsense of wondering. I'm squarely on the fence of this whole thing and I can't commit one way or the other. I bounce back and forth about what I 'want' to happen. In doing so, I'm constantly trying to see ALL sides of the arguments on both sides. At my core I do want Kirk back. I think he's the best QB we've had for a long time. All things the same, if he leaves today, the level of our football team drops. Now things can be done to try to compensate, but the minute he walks way, we're not as good as we were when he was here. Thus adding to the list of things we need to do, to continue to get better. That all being said, I'm not naive enough to know that the guy's market value has exceeded what his true value is. He's going to cost us an inflated amount, because demand has exceeded supply at this point. At some point cost outweighs residual effect.... we'd spend more than we can afford because of the fact that we need other pieces.

To get back to your point, I ask you this. Is it possible that a person can be perfectly happy in their current job, but still be open to opportunity? Is it unacceptable for them to at least CONSIDER another opportunity if it's presented to them, even thought they are fulfilled and happy in their current one? In daily life, people are presented with career adjustments, that they aren't necessarily looking for. They honestly COULD want to stay in their current position, but they always keep their options open? Just like a team can be committed to a player, they can love that player, they can support him, put him on posters, banners, tickets, then as soon as the new hot shot comes along... guess what?

And yes, I understand that fans are allowed to have a bias toward their own franchise. That also means that fans can take a few minutes to look at their opinions and asked themselves whether they would be talking about said player in the same light, if they were the team that player was going toward, instead of walking away from.....

While I agree with a lot of your comments (ST) and it's good to have some folks on the other side of the discussion, I have moved 180 degrees in how I view the situation.

I particularly agree with 'destination of choice' - even beyond the franchise stuff. The DC metro area *could be* viewed as an overcrowded, expensive, congested area with high taxes and bad weather (too damn hot in the summer, cold in the winter). I love the area myself, but comparing it to a lot of other NFL destinations, it can be hard to 'compete'. But then people are arguing he's going to go to Cleveland - so I'm not sure that's really in play here :) One factor in player decisions that NFL fans almost never think about, but should, is what a player's wife and family want. Wanting to go to a certain geographic place to be closer to family, or for lots of other reasons, it's not just being decided by a player in many cases.

I haven't heard anyone argue Kirk doesn't 'have the right' to do whatever he wants. But I'm not an HR rep. I'm a fan. Fans are always going to respond negatively when a player demonstrates (or is suspected of) not caring as much about a team as we do. I'll tell you guys a secret...NONE of these players cares about the Redskins as a franchise in terms anywhere near how a fan might. It just doesn't work that way. It's their JOB, they treat it as such, and that's perfectly normal.

Before I tell you why I'm really irked with Cousins, I'll deflate one other argument - the 'taking care of my family' stance. If Cousins were a kicker or long-snapper, I'd give him a pass on the 'NFL careers are short. I need to make as much as I can while I can' argument. But Cousins is a rich man. He's been a rich man for quite awhile now. The evil and incompetent Redskins organization that won't pay the man guaranteed he will never want for money for the rest of his life. He (and his extended family) will never have to worry about money again. Right now. He could retire and live a life of luxury. Right. This. Minute. All because the Washington Redskins valued him enough to tag him several times as their most precious commodity.

I have turned on Kirk because he's full of shit brother. Again - I'm not on an interview team, and I don't work for HR. Yes - 'saying the right things' (if you think that's what he is doing) is smart. Kirk is super-duper smart. But that doesn't change the fact that he's not being honest or sincere. No one can argue that he's being honest or sincere. He claims the Redskins have made him a very worthwhile offer. He claims that he is 'committed to being a Redskin'. He acknowledges that the Redskins have made him a rich man, but states that he is not all about the money. But not only has he not signed a LTD, he and his agent have not even been willing to negotiate in good faith, make counter offers, etc.. He's a slick, articulate, smart guy. But he's flat out lying to this fanbase when he says he really, really wants to remain a Redskin. He's not compelled to lie. He's not compelled to call his own press events where he spouts the same bullshit. He's not even compelled to speak about his plans or his contract. But he does all that, and what he says is a bunch of bullshit.

And when someone does that, I'm going to lose respect for him. As I have for Kirk Cousins.

I have to admit, I've been turned maybe about 90 degrees for a lot of the same reasons.

Yeah - we're not as far apart as it might appear on the whole thing ST. It's absolutely possible. Again, I don't begrudge Kirk the right to consider all his options, whatever his reasons. I just don't like the bullshit, dishonest, politically correct manner in which he's doing it. Media types like to condescendingly treat fans like they are a bunch of nitwits on Twitter and elsewhere (and of course, there are some nitwits). But most fans are pretty smart. They know when a player, coach, or franchise is speaking truth, and when they are spouting a bunch of total bullshit. The 'event' Kirk and some of his media ass-kissers organized to 'get the truth out there' - it really turned me and irritated me.

And as much as the politically correct 'say something and mean none of it' Cousins speak irritates me, it's also the implication that it's 100% on the Redskins organization that we may lose the best QB we've had in a long while. It really does take two to tango, and there's almost zero evidence that Cousins has been willing to talk turkey about keeping him in Washington long-term. And yet, according to the media - this is ALL on the Redskins and Bruce Allen.

Cousins seems determined to leave - because he's literally put the Redskins in an unworkable and untenable situation. They can't pay him a record-breaking, bar-setting salary even if he is open to a mega-deal (I'm not convinced he is). It would be irresponsible to do so and might cripple us just as badly as the 'move up to pick RG3' deal did in 2012.

The only thing left for the Redskins is to make the best of losing Cousins. And to do that - you playing freaking hardball. Franchise him and force some other team to overpay for him and cripple their franchise. You don't do it out of spite. You do it because if losing Cousins is a foregone conclusion, it's critical you get as much for him as possible.

In the real world the average employee would most definitely consider outside offers for their services if presented, even if they are satisfied by their current situation. It never hurts to listen. But the smart ones would do so covertly, not have a representative plant a story as a source to a media member.

Rubbing that opportunity into the face of the organization that has compensated you handsomely and the fans that have, for the most part, supported you isn't it.

There is a right way and a wrong way to conduct such business.

The 'event' Kirk and some of his media ass-kissers organized to 'get the truth out there' - it really turned me and irritated me.

And they hid it behind the guise of charity.

In the real world the average employee would most definitely consider outside offers for their services if presented, even if they are satisfied by their current situation. It never hurts to listen. But the smart ones would do so covertly, not have a representative plant a story as a source to a media member.

Rubbing that opportunity into the face of the organization that has compensated you handsomely and the fans that have, for the most part, supported you isn't it.

There is a right way and a wrong way to conduct such business.

THIS!

I also think the supposed tension being created because your current boss, known as the Head Coach, isn't willing to heap superlatives on your performance when you have underperformed is disrespectful. Failing to rise to the expectations for which you demand exorbitant compensation while simultaneously being reportedly 'upset' that your coach is giving a reasonable assessment of your performance - it speaks to an underlying immaturity and/or disconnect with reality that bothers me.

It's not all that complicated.

Cousins has performed very well, at times, under center for the Redskins.
He's an NFL starter.
He's also failed to be a difference maker when we needed one in critical games. Repeatedly.

And he wants to be recognized as one of the best QBs in the league.

Grant and Danny have been the most giant Cousins ass-kissers in the media ever since their show started a personal relationship with him over the last few years. It goes beyond the borders of sycophant or fanaticism and is downright irrational. Why? I honestly have zero clue.

And they hid it behind the guise of charity.

If you want to be really cynical...

dead-zone-ending-greg-stillson-holds-baby-as-shield-brooke-adams-charlie-sheen.jpg

I guess I'm trying to remain numb to a lot of the 'speak' coming not only from Kirk, but also from be Redskins, because in all honesty, NOBODY shows loyalty in the NFL anymore. Yes, the Redskins have compensated Kirk very well, but Art Monk and Brian Mitchell set records and won superbowls, yet both played for the Eagles. Alfred Morris set records here and was the backbone for a team that is part of the most exciting run we've experienced as fans in 20 years... yet he's lined up across from us twice and essentially ended our season, all while being everything a fan could ever root for, at a bargain cost. I can't hate a player for playing the game, when a team is just as ready to cast them aside, regardless of the accomplishments or desired loyalty that's gone in the other direction.

Honest question to you all... if Kirk signs a deal this offseason with us to remain with the Redskins.... what then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.