• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Behind Enemy Lines: It's The Line, Stupid

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The QB stat line for the game read 22 of 35 for 198 with no Touchdowns, one INT, three Fumbles (two lost) and six Sacks.

If I showed you that line in a vacuum, where you didn’t already have a clue where I got it from, my guess is you, as a Redskin fan, would have no problem believing that it belonged to Jason Campbell. We have sure seen his stat line look like that often enough.

In this case it belongs to Tony Romo...

Click HERE to read more.

Nice write up.

A lot of us have been saying this for years now. How the offensive line is addressed and corrected, more than any other aspect of the switch over, will have more direct impact on how well the team does moving forward.

The Jets have a great offensive line (and they play defense). I think the dream ends for them next weekend because they don't have enough other pieces on offense but it goes to show you how far good line play on offense can take you. You don't game plan for anyone on that offense. Past the O-line that offense is average at best.

Nice piece, and couldn't be more on target. Without blocking, you don't have squat. All the people who want a qb, safety or anyone other than an OL, are in their infinite wisdom dooming this team to eternal mediocrity.

As the man says, "It's the line, Stupid".

Nice piece, and couldn't be more on target. Without blocking, you don't have squat. All the people who want a qb, safety or anyone other than an OL, are in their infinite wisdom dooming this team to eternal mediocrity.

As the man says, "It's the line, Stupid".
...or else as usual we'll end up saying "It's the stupid line!" :furious:
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I've been on board with this train of thought for the last five years or so.........

Commented in the blog. Because we can. :)

It's always baffled me how much the offensive line has been neglected here over the years considering Snyder's obsession with the franchise's past glory. And you had Joe effing Bugel here for the last six years! Boss Hog, for christ's sake. I see no reason the OL won't be a major priority for the next two or three offseasons. At least, let's hope that's the case.

Maybe it is just me but I think were I a GM it would be something of a priority every offseason. By that, I mean at least one draft pick in the first 3 rounds would go for a lineman every single year.

I’ve made that argument before as well. Line play, both offensive and defensive, dictate the game more than any other factor, even over QBs.

We took Jarmon in the supplemental draft so we did our part for the defensive line this year. If we would have adopted that kind of dedication in using the draft to address the offensive line we wouldn’t be in the current mess we’re in.

It’s a lot easier to add a QB, WR, RB or DB on the defensive side of the ball into a situation where the line is stable. The only example in recent memory where a QB was able to overcome crappy offensive line play to win a Super Bowl was last year’s Steelers. That line was below average but somehow Big Ben was able to get it done. almost by himself. I can’t think of another example.

I’d much rather see the team draft lineman rather than going after them on the free agent market. We have to get that pipeline of young talent started because the benefits of doing so are so great. Free agents cost too much money and hamstring the team in other areas. We’ve let the situation deteriorate to the point now where we may have to take a mixed approach of drafting a couple and bringing in at least one.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I do not have the ability to watch many games and perhaps I am naive in this opinion, but, before we give up on Campbell, I would like to see how he does behind a decent offensive line. The first part of 2008 he had a decent line and he did fairly good.

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that an offensive line is more important than a quarterback. However, to use the offensive line as a scapegoat for 2009 is way too simple. The problem was the offensive line and the quarterback. Jason Campbell has already proven that he can't get the job done with or without a line.

Even if quarterbacks were a dime a dozen, they would be the most important single player on a team. However, combine this with their rarity, and you have the reason why the quarterback is considered not only the most important position, but also the most valuable. NFL contracts are not completely efficient yet. For example, left tackles and cornerbacks are way overpaid. Left tackles are arguably the second most important position, but they are not hard to find. Cornerbacks don't rank near the top in terms of most important position, but they are hard to find. However, NFL contracts have got it right with quarterbacks in that they are the most valuable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.