• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Proposed Changes : Both for Remaining 2017 regular season, and for offseason

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I know people have already started to discuss this in other threads, but for an easy-to-read consolidated thread, here are the multi-part questions :

1) What changes to make for the 3 remaining games ?
a) Who to sit, or have surgery, in order to rest/recover/preserve for 2018 ?
b) Which backups/youngsters should get extended playing time, in order to gain experience, and/or
evaluate for 2018 ?

2) What changes to make this offseason ?
a) By order of priority - which Redskins to re-sign ? Who should we let walk ? Which ones to conditionally bring back ?
b) Specifically, which FA players from other teams to target ?
c) And more generally speaking, and by order of priority - which positions to upgrade through both draft and FA ?
d) Coaching changes ; and be realistic. In other words, even if you really want to see someone fired or replaced, only discuss it if you really believe it's a realistic possibility that it will happen.

1a) If Nsekhe is healthy, let him take Trent's place. He's good enough to keep Cousins standing. Let J-Allen take the rest of the year off, regardless of condition. Consider giving Kerrigan time off. As noted below, replace Kwan-Jo with Kalis. Give Moses' ankles a break.
b) I'd like to see more of Sprinkle, Anderson, Moreau, Daniels, R-Davis, Holsey, Harvey-Clemons, Harris, Kalis, Quick.....maybe : some Kling, Smithson, Pipkins.
And how about more of this young prospect TE named Reed. I've heard a lot about his potential. But let's put him on the field and see how he does ? Or not.

2a) No brainers - re-sign Cousins and Brown.
Conditionally or make an honest effort at these guys : Murphy, Foster, Gallette, Long, Breeland, Grant, Hopkins.
2b) need more time to research this one.
2c) Position upgrades by order of priority, IMO
- WR
- DL
- OL DEPTH
- RB
- TE
- PR/KR
- CB, depending on if Moreau/Holsey impress this year, and if Breeland leaves.
- ST guys
2d) none, IMO

Last edited:
I haven't had much time to digest the pending free agents that we have or from other teams. I do have a partial list here, but after the regular season ends early next year, I will be firing up the new 2018 BBQ blog for free agency and the draft.

Running Back:
Carlos Hyde

Wide Receiver:
Allen Robinson
Terrelle Pryor
Jarvis Landry
Davante Adams
Donte Moncrief

Left Guard:
Andrew Norwell
Senio Kelemete
Luke Joeckel
Xavier Su'a-Filo

It seems the options are limited at running back and left guard. I believe there are better options in the draft. Knowing that Pryor was playing injured since week two leads me to think we can bring him back with a very reasonable contract. I think he would still have a good impact when healthy. Keep an eye on Landry and Moncrief.

I haven't had much time to digest the pending free agents that we have or from other teams.

Hey BB.
I didn't mean to step on your toes, since you usually start a similar thread to this.
I guess part of it, is I didn't know when your circumstances would allow you to return to the site full-time, and perform your usual site projects and tasks.
At any rate, it is great to see you back, in any capacity.
If you want to start an official thread, and merge this, that's totally cool.

It's fine. I simply have been pressed for time and this is a good (and timely) discussion. Wish I had more for you, but that will change.

I think we need to insist on moving beyond mediocrity.
We need dominant players to do that.
Sometimes things like sentimentality keep us stuck and satisfied with mediocre players.
So we need to look at players and ask ourselves, is their talent cap more on the side of mediocrity, or can they be dominant ?

Last edited:
I'd love to see the draft go something like....

1-QB
2-NT
3-G
4-TE
5-NT
6-OLB (pass rusher)
7-ST returner

Whether Kirk stays or goes we needs better plan B instead of Colt. If we cannot sign Brown an ilb is gonna jump up to the 2nd round or so.

This is just a good a draft as any to trade down like a muhfuh and fill as much as we can.

Slightly off topic, but in regards to proposed changes - league-wide.
For obvious reasons, I really wish the Skins and other teams would lobby this offseason, for the league to increase roster size above 53, and/or do away with game-day Inactive Lists. In this brutal league, entering a game with only 46 active players is truly ridiculous.

Slightly off topic, but in regards to proposed changes - league-wide.
For obvious reasons, I really wish the Skins and other teams would lobby this offseason, for the league to increase roster size above 53, and/or do away with game-day Inactive Lists. In this brutal league, entering a game with only 46 active players is truly ridiculous.

Yeah, I would say that at the very least guys in concussion protocol shouldn't count. Make a move, if you want, after that player clears. It's just such an unknown when that dude will be cleared and with so many concussions to be evaluated a team could wind up with more than 53 to chose from , albeit only 51 at a time. With the amount of gambling that goes on - don't count on the Inactive list going away. Don't care what Goodell say's.

Which of the late-season fill-ins (or players IR'd before season began) at RB has the best chance at returning AND making an impact next year ?

Bibbs
Daniels
B Marshall
K Marshall
Hilliard
Ogunbowale

I don't see any of these guys being a long term impact RB. Perine is a decent back but think we'll draft a starter this draft or the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably true. The mid-season pickups were available for a reason.
Although I'm curious about Bibbs. He had a couple good outings in a row for us, both rushing and receiving.
And last year with Denver, he had a 4.4 yard average on 29 rush attempts. In addition, he had a 69 yard catch and run for a TD last year. It looked similar to his Redskin TD catch and run, only a lot better.

Probably true. The mid-season pickups were available for a reason.
Although I'm curious about Bibbs. He had a couple good outings in a row for us, both rushing and receiving.
And last year with Denver, he had a 4.4 yard average on 29 rush attempts. In addition, he had a 69 yard catch and run for a TD last year. It looked similar to his Redskin TD catch and run, only a lot better.

Skins have agreed with me on Bibbs.

Last edited:
The Redskins backs outside of Chris Thompson are all ones that other teams worked out and ultimately passed on.

We picked up guys off the street or off another team's practice squad.

If you are looking for that #3 or #4 back from depth I think that's fine. A guy like Kapri Bibbs or Byron Marshall may be the answer there.

But we need a back in FRONT of Thompson who can set the table with consistent rushing to set up Chris for his role as a change of pace runner and receiver who in space can make the big plays.

You would really see how effective Thompson was if we had a Fournette or Elliott or even a back like McCoy in front of him to set the table so to speak.

But the Redskins can't simply go into camp in 2018 with Robert Kelley, Perine, and Bibbs/other as the everydown back and hope they can be productive enough to set up Thompson for his second and long or third down role.

There simply isn't enough talent among those players to pull it off.

To me, the Redskins are being as 'Pollyanna-ish' about the running back position as we were for several years at safety.

We assumed we could just pick up a safety on waivers or the street and put them in uniform and we would be OK.

We weren't . We were one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Guys like Ryan Clark at 35, DeShon Goldson at 34 were over the hill and couldn't play any longer. Younger guys like DeShazor Everett and Evans simply never had the talent to begin with.

We finally broke through that in 2017 by picking up Swearinger and drafting Nicholson.

We admitted we had a problem and took some active steps to help remedy it.

Nicholson has to overcome the injury bug - he seems to be the defensive version of Jordan Reed. But he has the physical size and talent to cover and be a presence in the run game as well.

I think we still need more depth there as Everett is a special teamer but not a serious #3 and top backup off the bench.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.