• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's the Priority the Rest of the Way?

What should the Redskins approach be the rest of the way in 2017?

• Whatever it takes to win - we can still make the playoffs!

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Rest the injured and key players - the season is lost.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Its tryout time. Play as many younger players as possible and find out what you have there.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Lose out. All that matters now is draft position.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Forfeit the rest of the games. I can't take anymore.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
With just 4 games left in the Redskins 2017 season, coming off a soul-crushing defeat in Dallas, how should the Burgundy and Gold approach things the rest of the way?

At this point if they rush back any of our young prospects just to have them play in a couple of meaningless games toward the end of the season, that would be standard operating procedure for this organization over the last 25 years, stupidity at it's finest!

At this point if they rush back any of our young prospects just to have them play in a couple of meaningless games toward the end of the season, that would be standard operating procedure for this organization over the last 25 years, stupidity at it's finest!

Probably right - but technically we have not been eliminated. Until we are, shouldn't this team continue to do everything it can to win?

Probably right - but technically we have not been eliminated. Until we are, shouldn't this team continue to do everything it can to win?

The one player I was referring to most was Jonathan Allen, and he's not eligible for at least a couple more weeks, right? Look, if they can run the table and make the playoffs, of course you play to that. But I would only do it with the players who are healthy. What's the point of a playoff appearance if you lose the best DL you've had in uniform on this team since Dana Stubbll...I mean Dave Butz.

Gotcha. Key words are ‘rush back'. Actually I never in favor of that, no matter what the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't break any guys that are marginally healthy like Moses.

I say it is time to tank the season. Mara's Midgets are doing just that and everyone knows it. In all honesty, we should do the same. Assuming we have one more win (against those same Midgets), that will put the record at 6-10. It is enough for a top ten pick and it gives us options.

An impact player. Trading down for multiple picks. Possibly a chance to trade down a bit with an extra high in the second round to grab even more picks.

There is nothing else to gain from this season. Nothing. Pride, shmide.

I'm not sure I believe NFL teams (and by inference, coaching staffs) intentionally 'tank'. I just think it goes against everything the game of football stands for. I think bad teams have bad records and lose. When the games mean nothing, it just makes losing more likely.

To intentionally tank, the ownership has to tell the coaching staff 'Lose'. Can you imagine how a coaching staff would react to being told that they are not to try to win the rest of their games? And what about the players - how do you communicate this without entirely losing a lockerroom?

We throw accusations like this at teams like this year's Giants squad - but I don't think it's really true. They're a bad, bad team and they may well lose out. But I don't believe any NFL team decides to tank an entire season and gets the players on board with that. Of course I guess it's possible I'm wrong. I choose not to believe it though, because if it were true it would just bring my own personal level of cynicism to a new record level :)

None of that is to argue against the notion that losing out might, in fact, be the best thing that could happen to this team. Maybe that's true in terms of draft positioning. I'm only commenting on the *intentionality* aspect of it.

Last edited:
It's not an outright given that teams take a flyer on any season, but some things are probably understood. By "tanking" (I'll put in quotations as well) a team can do several things as you suggested in the poll. Evaluate veterans. Evaluate younger players. Rest the injured. Sign a few players off of various practice squads and see what they can do.

It's actually a unique time to begin the process of truly upgrading a roster.

Regardless of how competitive the healthier players want to be down the stretch (and the organization as a whole) the one thing we need to do is shut down guys like Trent Williams and Jordan Reed and ensure they are going to healthy for the offseason work in 2018.

There's no sense grinding down a knee and shortening a career trying to get to 7-9 or 8-8 instead of 6-10.

Trent may want to play, but here is where the GM, Head Coach and others need to step in and look at the BIG PICTURE.

I would still like to see what Ioannidis, Nicholson, Allen (if he can come back) and some of the other younger guys like Fuller and Byron Marshall can do.

I vote for both 2 & 3. If you want to try and sign Kirk next year but lose one or both your starting tackles beforehand - pretty pointless. What? You'll just sign some FA's to replace them? No money left over for that. At least if you save these dinged up guys you'll have them next season - irregardless of who the QB may be. There's other dude's on both sides of the ball that it makes no sense to kill just to say they didn't have a losing record. For some guys coming back from injury - let 'em get some rep's (like they did with Doctson) to see where they're at but don't over do it.

Let's try some of those new players; it's the only way to see what you got. Never would've seen Roullier this year but he's been pretty good. 6th round draft pick that didn't play until after the season started - when's the last time they had an OL guy drafted that deep that panned out to any degree let alone his 1st year? If nothing else you find out which guy's probably aren't gonna cut it and free up that roster space.

Give up on the thoughts of playoff's. Today Chargers won - KC lost. Now they're tied record wise for 1st (with KC having the tie-breaker at the moment) and they play KC after Washington so all they have to do is beat the Skins and at worst they'll be playing the Chiefs with a tied record and be able to take the lead in their division with a Win. So they're playing for a title and Washington is playing for - pride? Go watch the Dallas game over & over until you realize pride has left the building. Some ludicrous idea that if 6 or 7 teams completely fail maybe you make the playoffs? At 9-7; for a team that's never won a playoff game in a 9-7 season & I don't see Washington being able to field a team to break that streak this year.

SOS (Save Our Skins) - don't kill our hobbled players. Forfeit the next game & hope they still don't get any injuries. OK, the last part kind of a joke but not an awful idea. :wink:

Kind of a combination pick for me between resting the injured starters & playing the younglings. Ended up with seeing what you got in the new guys as it because this season is done. Too many losses and even though a few were winnable it's practically ensured.

Playing the youngers will give us a tighter grocery list heading into the off-season.

Last edited:
Regardless of how competitive the healthier players want to be down the stretch (and the organization as a whole) the one thing we need to do is shut down guys like Trent Williams and Jordan Reed and ensure they are going to healthy for the offseason work in 2018.

There's no sense grinding down a knee and shortening a career trying to get to 7-9 or 8-8 instead of 6-10.

Trent may want to play, but here is where the GM, Head Coach and others need to step in and look at the BIG PICTURE.

I would still like to see what Ioannidis, Nicholson, Allen (if he can come back) and some of the other younger guys like Fuller and Byron Marshall can do.

Completely agree with this. Especially the veteran guys who are banged up, let them rest and get healthy so the younger guys can get experience. As for Allen, I'm not sure the extent of his injury and how much risk there is of re-injury or doing more damage. If there is any of that, just shut him down.

Only losers want to lose.

Arguments for tanking are, well, better not say it.

Shutting Trent down would be in his best interest.

The only guy I'd shelve, healthy or not, would be Jason "Rice Paper" Reed. He needs to be 100% healthy so we can get more for him in a draft day trade.

You play...to win...the game.

Period.

Actually the 2nd and 3rd options on the poll are essentially the same, because they would happen simultaneously.
You can't do one of them, without the other.
At any rate, they should never be done until we're eliminated from contention.

Last edited:
Play to win the game? Like keep putting a guy with 3 fumbles back in to fumble punts? Not playing to win there.

Crowder has a total of 6 fumbles on the year so far (that's 1 every other game) and 12 in 3 years. So if anything he's getting worse. Nobody with 6 fumbles during a season should be out there too much if at all. 5 interceptions (of 8) have been when he was targeted. Teams that play to win do not tolerate that that level of play, they don't give him more opportunities than anyone else on the team and hope things work out. He shoulda been pulled and find somebody - anybody - who could at least hold on to the rock on punts. If an RB, who touches the ball a heck of a lot more often a WR/PR, had that many fumbles he'd be on the street.

I think Jay might be more of a players guy than what's good for him and the team. He want's guy's to succeed and gives some of them way more leeway than they deserve. It's not playing to win - it's playing to appease.

Only losers want to lose.

Arguments for tanking are, well, better not say it.

Shutting Trent down would be in his best interest.

The only guy I'd shelve, healthy or not, would be Jason "Rice Paper" Reed. He needs to be 100% healthy so we can get more for him in a draft day trade.

You play...to win...the game.

Period.

Don't have to worry about a thing.

If there's one thing the Redskins are good at, it's finding ways to lose just enough to be on the treadmill of mediocrity.

There's not a surer bet in all the NFL.

Now if they get rid of Gruden and Kirk- the spawn of Satan -Cousins(as you make him out to be)...maybe they start bottoming out and hanging with the Browns.

You still have the big problem that is Bruce Allen and Doug Williams, picking players.

Don't know how you get around that as I wouldn't trust either of them to assemble a pack n play,much less an NFL team.

Last edited:
It's a tough one.

I would like to see the team try and win out, but not at all costs.

I wouldn't rush back Allen, wait till he's ready or we make that miracle playoff berth. I'd seriously think about shutting down Trent, at least temporarily.

The Skins really need to effect a culture change of expecting to win. I think we're close to that, but we're just not consistent enough for it to stick. We need success to change that and tanking for the draft isn't the way to do it.
Plus if we DID tank for the draft and finish the season 6-10, you can guarantee that as a fan base we'd bring it up when looking at W/L records and conveniently forget the reason why.

I think you try to win out, but you try and be smart about it. Don't put players that are hurt at unnecessary risk, and try and see what you've got in the youngsters heading into the post season and draft.

It's a fine line to tread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.