• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DC For A First-Timer. Suggestions Please.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
So I just booked a trip up to see the Redskins play Arizona, and to spend a few extra days in my favorite city in the country.

I grew up in Springfield, so I've personally been on most of the tours already. But I'm bringing my gf who has never been to DC before. We arrive Thursday at noon, and we leave Monday afternoon. That gives us Thursday and Friday to book any tours that might not be open on a Saturday.

What are the 10 best things for a tourist to see in DC? Help me BGO!

It's been decades since I was in DC, like 1986 ish. Our class took a trip to the Smithsonian and it was pretty bad ass. Granted we were kids and not sure what they have on display nowadays tho.

If you guys like museums I'd say that's a great place to spend an afternoon at minimum.

Mike, I strongly recommend a trip to Arlington National Cemetery. When I have guests in town, I always take them to Arlington to spend some time on that hallowed ground. Almost everyone comes away moved.

I assume you'll be flying into DCA or Dulles, so have dinner in Old Towne Alexandria down by the water, and/or just across the river in Maryland they've opened the National Harbor. The Gaylord is gorgeous, unless the MGM Grand is your cup of tea, both are beautiful places and lots of nice restaurants in the Harbor.

Is she a Florida girl? If so, take her ice skating at the Smithsonian.

I love DC! There is so much to do in such a concentrated area.

Too bad you didn't come during baseball season, Nats stadium is a good time.

Great suggestions so far. Thank you. Here's the list of things we are definitely doing:

1. Ford's Theater
2. Lincoln Memorial
3. Having drinks at the W. The hotel that overlooks the snipers on top of the White House. One of my favorite views in the world.
4. Arlington National Cemetery.

Does anyone have an opinion on either the FBI or CIA tours? I remember one of them being great. We're also trying to get into the White House tour.

I'm pretty sure you can't get into the WH without going through your state Senator or maybe Congressman. Those have to be arranged months in advance so that you can be checked out and approved. No more just showing up and getting in line.

The Capitol Tour is nice. Great view of the city from the top of the Washington Monument.

I'm pretty sure you can't get into the WH without going through your state Senator or maybe Congressman. Those have to be arranged months in advance so that you can be checked out and approved. No more just showing up and getting in line.

The Capitol Tour is nice. Great view of the city from the top of the Washington Monument.

We just had some friends up this past April. If I recall correctly, the process was only weeks long for them, not months.

Both of you are right about the White House tour.

You have to contact your state representative. They suggest 3 months notice, with the final deadline being three weeks before your desired date. We applied two days past the deadline so I'm not holding my breath.

You should spend some time in Oltown Alexandria. Lots to keep a GF happy. Lots of great places to eat, shopping, and pretty good ghost tours.

We're having a blast so far. One more question for Caps fans--what are the best seats in the Verizon Center? I've read great things about sections 105 and 106.

Best to be against the glass? Or up a bit higher?

Mount Vernon perhaps? Admittedly I am biased. While I am not nor have I ever been a DC or it's surroundings resident, I did meet Sam Huff there while visiting my Dad in the mid 80's. Whoa - did I just date myself? Dangit.

Mount Vernon perhaps? Admittedly I am biased. While I am not nor have I ever been a DC or it's surroundings resident, I did meet Sam Huff there while visiting my Dad in the mid 80's. Whoa - did I just date myself? Dangit.

Hey, just FYI, we got another member here who I think is in your geographical area - JohnsBass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.