• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Joe Gibbs: A Football Life

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I watched the special on coach the other day and I have to say I expected better. It was refreshing to see how they did have some of the former players like Green and Bostic discuss how great he was, but there was a lot left unsaid. I am not as disappointed as DP44 was over in the Random Thought thread, but I did expect a little more.

I enjoyed seeing them use Bill Walsh and Bill Parcell discuss him. Walsh called him the greatest game planner, and Parcells flat out called him the best coach he'd ever coached against.

I did not enjoy seeing the producers gloss over his achievements, they only gave brief mention to the critical factors, 3 SB's with 3 different QB's, and the 91 team was perhaps one of the best overall teams ever assembled.

I did not enjoy watching them make Gibbs look stupid on the sideline with Greg Williams instructing him on the current logistics of the game in his 2nd comeback, i.e., throwing a challenge flag in a critical situation, though they did mention he took the team to 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. He got blood from turnips with Todd Collins as the QB!!!

(Side Note: Dan Snyder was a ****ing idiot for not handing the team over to Williams instead of giving it to Zorn)

And I am not as upset about the emphasis on Coach's success in NASCAR, it shows how adaptable the man is.

Overall, I think the poroducers did just an average job on this one, the Sean Taylor and John Riggins specials were much better. But how do you really capture the best coach of all time in one 60 minute segment?

I just finished this too and I agree with most of your points above.

One thing that I had forgotten--in that Doug Williams SB year our average margin of victory was 16 points per game. Incredible.

I guess I'm confused. I looked up what I thought was this episode on YouTube and there was no NASCAR focus. I think there may be an earlier ‘football life' as the one I watched mostly focused on him winning championships with 3 different QBs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found it to just be "bland" almost like they said "hey let's just throw this one out there" with minimal effort. I've watched it twice and still think they did a lackluster job.

I found it to just be "bland" almost like they said "hey let's just throw this one out there" with minimal effort. I've watched it twice and still think they did a lackluster job.

Thought the same thing.

The Parcells clip was an old interview from the late 90's/early 2000s. They didn't even put forth the effort to go interview him or Belichick, who's a great football history buff and gameplanned defenses against Gibbs.

NFL Films gave him the same treatment most of the media has given Gibbs over the years,which is very disappointing.

They view Gibbs as milquetoast. Basically, they think he's boring and they do not give him enough credit because they think he had it easy in strike shortened seasons....even though every team had to go through that.

It's just a damn shame that they didn't put forth the effort like they did in Taylor's or Riggins' Football Life documentaries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.