• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/24/17: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
November 24, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

** The following is a transcript of a conference call with local reporters this afternoon.**

On injuries:
“Yeah, we don't have anything really to note from yesterday's game. We came out pretty clean.”
On RB Samaje Perine and if Gruden wants to continue running a similar style of offense:
“Yeah, that'd be ideal, especially when you're playing as good of a defense as we were playing. On the sideline, you just kind of feel how good your defense is playing and how tough of a time they were having moving the football. I think that has to play into how you're calling a game. You don't want to take too many risks, especially when we're playing a field position battle and Samaje is getting going a little bit. You'd love that to be the plan; some plans might be different, depending on how our defense is playing.”
On the biggest areas of Perine's improvement:
“I just think it's hard to gauge because we hadn't given him an opportunity to carry the ball that many times. But I think that you can see that he gets better as the game goes on so far and that's what's been the most impressive. I've liked the fact that after his 10th carry he's better than his first carry, and his 12th carry he's better than his 10th carry. He just continues to get better and better, his vision has been good and his decisiveness has been outstanding.”
On the difference in the offense in the second half:
“I think the ability… moving the ball running the ball, I think. Our physicality, our tight ends blocked extremely well. I think our center, [Tony] Bergstrom did a nice job. I think everybody – Ty Nsekhe – did a nice job. Like I said, Samaje was running the ball very good and that opened up a couple play-actions. The touchdown to Josh [Doctson] was a play-action there in the second half and we had a couple other little RPO-type things that were good because the running game was effective.”
On RB Byron Marshall's performance:
“Yeah, he did OK. We didn't ask him to do a whole lot. I think his role will expand, obviously, the longer he gets here and the more comfortable we are with him and his knowledge of what we're doing, getting out there and practicing so we can actually see it, not just a walkthrough – where we're pointing to the guy you've got to block but actually having to block the guy or make him pick up or run a route on a linebacker… I think he caught a nice screen pass, had a couple good carries, but I think the big thing with him moving forward will be how he can handle the third-down role. And it's such a critical role for this offense and what we do moving forward that he's going to have to be a big part of that. Just the reps that he gets in practice will determine how aggressive we can be and how we'll be on third down.”
On if he has any concern about the playing surface:
“No, I just heard about it today. Kirk [Cousins] I guess was talking about it a little bit, but I didn't notice it. I'm not out there with cleats on. I'm just on the sideline standing there. I'll just leave that up to the grounds crew and the players and let them hash it out.”
On if QB Kirk Cousins foot got caught in the ground on his interception:
“Yeah, it did get caught there a little bit, you could see it slip a little bit there. It very well could have.”

On quarterbacks balancing take sacks and trying to keep plays alive:
“Yeah, that's all play-dependent, series, just depending. You never want to take a sack on first down. Those are the ones we've got to really, really avoid. You want to take shots, those play-action… If our running game's going good, take those play-action shots on first down. If you get pushed in the pocket, you can't see the down the field type throws and that's where we've got to find our throwaway and try to get back to second-and-10, or your check-down or what have you. Those are the ones that are concerning. Sometimes, if you take a sack on third-down-and-seven or eight, you're waiting for nine or you're waiting for something to develop at the second level of the throw and you take a sack and you end up punting, it's not the end of the world. So, there is a fine line there. We'll look at all the sacks from a protection standpoint and make sure we're blocking the right guy, but sometimes, physically, their defense – [Jason] Pierre-Paul, Olivier Vernon – they've got some good pass rushers. They're going to win some battles. The big thing is protecting the ball and trying to avoid them if we can, but also try to keep your eyes downfield and make the play on third down if possible.”

On Cousins protecting himself from hits:
“You never want your quarterback to get hit, but that's just part of the game. You see other great quarterbacks, they take a sack. Tom Brady gets sacked. He's been sacked quite a bit early. So, it happens. When you've got the ball in your hand back there and you're waiting for plays to develop, sometimes you're going to be in harm's way and the big thing is protecting the football and then trying to avoid the big-time hits. I think he does a good job of that. I think he has a great sense of where the pressure's coming from, where he can get his body, protect himself, get his pads down and take the hit and move on.”

On S Deshazor Everett's performance:
“I think Deshazor played good. I think the entire defense played well. The secondary was good. We were in the right spot for the most part and guys were flying around. It starts up front stopping the run, like we did. I think Ziggy Hood and the rest of the gang did a great job against the run, the linebackers, and then forcing those third downs and we were where we were supposed to be in the secondary and guys made plays. So, I was impressed the way Deshazor played.”

On if there would be a challenge in incorporating TE Jordan Reed back into the lineup:
“I don't have any problem. When he comes back, we'll incorporate him back without problem. He's a special athlete – a special tight end – with a great skill set, so that's not the issue. The issue is, when he does come back, we've got to make sure that he's 100 percent so this thing doesn't linger. So I don't know if he'll be back this week, the next week or four weeks. We have no idea right now. I think that's between he and the trainers. He's got to get some work in and when he's ready, we will definitely utilize him. I'm not concerned at all about him missing time. He's the type of guy who's a great athlete and will make plays.”

On the offensive line contributing to the run game despite the lack of continuity among the starters:
“Yeah, that's a great point, man. It is difficult. I think when you have a brand new center and a left guard and left tackle who haven't played together at all, it's not easy. But those guys did a nice job. It starts with [Tony] Bergstrom – being able to come out there and make the calls and get people to the right people. Then [Brandon] Scherff did an excellent job. [Ty] Nsekhe was great on the edge. Our tight ends were very, very good as far as getting their hat placement and then Samaje [Perine] was decisive with his cuts. Once he stuck his foot in the ground, he was rolling downhill, which really we were impressed with. Offensive line, Bill Callahan did a great job with those guys getting them ready despite not being outside practicing so it was good to see. But it is a challenge. Next week hopefully Trent [Williams] comes back, or if not, we will keep the same group going. It would be nice to have the same group one week to the next, but Bill does a great job of getting them ready, whoever is ready.”

On if the short week factored into T Trent Williams not playing and his sense of Williams' availability next week:
“I don't really have a sense, but that was a major part of it with the short week, without a doubt. He lays it all on the line on Sunday afternoon and for him to come back on a short week with no practice and play on a Thursday is very difficult for him. Hopefully with a couple days extra rest, he will be able to play against Dallas, but we will see. He's banged up right now and he's fighting through this season so hopefully we will be able to use him. But it is all on Trent and the trainers.”

On being able to still have something to play for:
“Oh, yeah, we definitely have something to play for. There is no doubt about it. Everybody, that's what we play for. We play for a chance to go to the playoffs and win Super Bowls, but obviously we have put ourselves in a position right now where we are in a game-by-game type scenario. We have to take care of one game at a time, without a doubt. [That's] coach speak, but that's the only way we can approach it. If you start looking ahead you will forget about the team that you're playing. We play a good Dallas Cowboy team that we have had trouble with the last three meetings. I think they have beat us three in a row. We just have got to set our goals high and our goal right now is to only beat the Dallas Cowboys.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a decision is looming in re Jordan Reed in the offseason, or at least should be.

He has consistently failed to play a complete schedule for the team and we continue to tie up significant cap dollars in a guy whose production in 2016 and again in 2017 has been largely pedestrian.

Joe Gibbs used to say that a player's ability included his 'dur-ability'..................

You can't win with guys you can't count on to be on the field on a regular basis.

Other players such as Trent Williams or Josh Norman have suffered their fair share of injury problems, but they always seem to get back out on the field to make a difference, 100% or not.

While we are evaluating our situation at wide receiver in the offseason I think we need to consider TE as well.

Vernon Davis is 33 years old and has been a nice story for Washington, coming back to be as productive as he was in San Francisco.

But if we are going to continue to invest pro bowl money into Jordan Reed he needs to stay healthy and impact the team with that pro bowl ability.

As we consider the cap situation at qb, whether to sign Cousins, trade for another veteran, sign a free agent or draft a blue chip prospect, we have to review our cap commitments.

And TE is one area we are spending top dollar for less than top production.

The Skins only save $5M with a pre-June 1 cut/trade while carrying dead money of $5.5m so I don't see Washington taking on that much debt considering right now they have $11.5m dead $ spread out over 12 players. Post June 1 has nicer numbers; $8.5M savings/$1.8m dead money; but the problem is you can't use those cap savings until after June 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.