• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Skins Quotes Skins vs. Giants 2017: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:
“Injury wise, we don't have really anything to note. Morgan [Moses] just got banged up in the rib and then tweaked his knee a little bit but he came back in and finished.”

On how the guys felt in the locker room after the win:
“Everybody was good. It's always really pretty when you win. It doesn't matter statistically or what happened. I think our defense played outstanding. They played a great game of football – stopped the run, played great against the pass and held them without a touchdown.”

On the fourth down delay of game play:
“Yeah, it's a football-folly accident right there. We had a fourth down and one – we were going to go for it. We had our personnel group out there and we had to run the play and one of our guys was missing. He had his shoes off on the sideline. We weren't aware he had something wrong with his foot. We didn't get the memo that he was not in the huddle so we had to let the clock run out, which was fine. We took a delay of game, punted, backing them up and the defense got a stop.”

On the importance of sticking with the running game in the second half:
“We needed to stick with it. We couldn't throw the ball every down against these guys. They gave you multiple fronts. They've got [Jason] Pierre-Paul, Olivier Vernon – they've got a good pass-rush, a good blitz scheme. We had to get the running game going. We were kind of shuffling some linemen with Morgan coming out. [Tyler] Catalina had to play right tackle and we had a new center, so we had to get the running game going. We had some big hits and Samaje [Perine] ran the ball outstanding today. The line and tight ends blocked very well, so it was a big help for us.”

On the field:
“No, I don't know what happened. Did somebody trip or something? I didn't notice that.”

On RB Samaje Perine's performance:
“His vision was really good today. He had some outside zone hits. He stuck his foot in the ground. He was very decisive with his cuts today. They're not all going to be there. Not all pretty. I tell you what, he ran hard today and had great vision, exception of a couple loss-of-yardage plays and a holding call. He had a great game. Great game.”

On OL Tony Bergstrom's performance:
“I think he did good. He's been here a bit longer now. We kind of knew it was going to happen. He was going to start. He did good. Arie [Kouandjio] battled at left guard and did some good things. Zach Vigil stepped in at linebacker and did an excellent job playing linebacker. Josh Harvey-Clemons came in and played some pretty good linebacker play. I was impressed with the newcomers that stepped in there and played along with the veteran guys who had to carry the load. Ryan Kerrigan had a couple sacks. Kirk [Cousins] played well. Jamison Crowder stepped his game up. Josh [Doctson] had a big catch. Josh Norman, D.J. Swearinger, you know, the usual suspects played well. They had to.”

On the offense tonight:
“I think the way our defense way playing, I think you have to understand the NFC East and what it's all about and the way your defense is playing. It was probably a more conservative game plan approach for us with the new center and left guard. For the most part, we wanted to get our running game going. If you had to punt in a game like this and play field position, it's not the end of the world because our defense was playing so good. We're not interested in stats here. We're interested in wins. Thankfully, the defense played a great game and that was kind of the gauge if you could watch the game you could see the offense wasn't moving the ball very well for the Giants and field position was important.”

On maintaining offensive efficiency despite injuries:
“I mean, it could affect it, not to mention Chris [Thompson]. People don't understand how important Chris is too. So you want to stay in the second down and try to grind the ball out and [take] a pretty conservative approach sometimes on third-and-12. But moving forward, we'll have more time to get ready for the next game, which is great. We'll have a full week for Dallas and 10 or 11 days for the next game after that.”

On LB Pete Robertson's touchback:
“Yes, that was a head-scratcher. I've never seen that one done before. Pete [Robertson] I think got a bit anxious and thought the play was dead and just kept running for some reason. We'll correct that. This was his first game as a Redskin, he was excited. I liked his energy though. He had a great tackle in the first kickoff. We'll teach him.”

On QB Kirk Cousins' performance:
“I thought it was another gutsy performance by Kirk. It's not easy. Every week it seems like we're shuffling guys around and I think he played great. He handled the game and handled the command of the huddle. There [were] a couple of sacks there we have to look at that I'd like to avoid, but otherwise I've been impressed with Kirk since I got here. I just see him gradually improving week in and week out. The touchdown he had to [Jamison] Crowder was one of his best touchdown passes that I've seen since I've been here. He stepped up in the pocket, two hands on the ball—Crowder did a great job moving in off-scheduled plays that we've been looking for. He was huge.”

On LB Ryan Kerrigan's performance:
“He's just a consistent guy. You're just so impressed with not only what he is as a football player but as a person and how he conducts himself on and off the field. He's always available, he's practicing every day, he's playing hard every day, he consistently has a high motor every week and, you know, he's just a great captain, great leader – not a captain, but a great role model for these young guys coming up and preparing themselves to be great NFL players – you can't have enough Ryan Kerrigans on your team.”

On what the team needs to do to qualify for the playoffs:
“We have to take one game at a time, ‘coach speak' obviously, but there's no way you can even look forward to the playoffs right now. We have a great game against the Dallas Cowboys who came in here and beat us last time so we take one game at a time and after the season we'll see where we stand.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the fourth down delay of game play:
“Yeah, it's a football-folly accident right there. We had a fourth down and one – we were going to go for it. We had our personnel group out there and we had to run the play and one of our guys was missing. He had his shoes off on the sideline...

Shoeless Joe Jackson?

No new injuries? That's amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.