• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Let's talk Turkey

How do you cook your Turkey?

• Oven Roast, w/o stuffing

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Oven Roast, w/ Stuffing

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Deep Fry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smoke

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Always been more of a Ham kinda person.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Alright peeps...Thanksgiving is upon us. How do you cook your Turkey? Inquiring minds what to know.

Vote in the poll and give reasons below.

Oven roast with stuffing, slathered in mayo.

If I had the ability to fry a turkey, I would do it, but this year will be roasting.

Got home last night, cooked up a 'lemon butter' style sauce (hopefully, it's in the fridge and has turned back to a solid last night so we'll see how it works out) that will be injected into the turkey as soon as I wake up tomorrow. I'm going by this afternoon to Dizzy Pig to pick up some spicing, the ingredients are very similar to what I do on my own for poultry and it makes it easier. I'll then stick an onion, an apple, and an orange into the cavity of the bird, and roast her in a bag in the oven.... my 1st year of really flyin solo on the turkey (I've never hosted thanksgiving in the past, always traveled between parents / grandparents) so I'm excited to see what I can do.

Slathered in mayo? How does that work?

Combine mayo with the herbs of your choice and slather the bird. It makes it super moist and when cooked you'll never know it was there.

On the skin or between the skin and the meat?

Mayo? Can't say I've heard of that being used before.

Wife roasts it for umpteen hours while basting with a melted butter/herb/chicken broth concoction, like every 20 minutes. I wanted to spare her some work and just use a cooking bag for the damn thing but she wasn't having it.

Worked till late last night so am not cooking this year. Wife bought a fried turkey from Bojangles if you can believe that (had no idea they sold turkeys)?

For the past 5 years I have brined and grilled my turkey. Comes out great.

Worked till late last night so am not cooking this year. Wife bought a fried turkey from Bojangles if you can believe that (had no idea they sold turkeys)?

For the past 5 years I have brined and grilled my turkey. Comes out great.

Hmmmm...guess I left an option out, huh?

For the last 2 years I have smoked mine. This year's bird has been in the smoker with cherry wood since about 4am. Shoild be done in there in about 30 minutes or so then I'll let it stand on the counter for another 30 minutes.

Good eating peeps!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hmmmm...guess I left an option out, huh?

Smoking/Grilling - more or less the same idea :) I like just a touch of smoke - I am a big fan of Kingsford with apple shavings in it. Gives just enough flavor and almost impossible to 'over smoke'. Cherry chunks are nice too. I don't know that I've ever used hickory or mesquite and been happy with the results - just too intense for my liking, but might just be my taste buds.

Brining is key imho.

Smoking/Grilling - more or less the same idea :) I like just a touch of smoke - I am a big fan of Kingsford with apple shavings in it. Gives just enough flavor and almost impossible to 'over smoke'. Cherry chunks are nice too. I don't know that I've ever used hickory or mesquite and been happy with the results - just too intense for my liking, but might just be my taste buds.

Brining is key imho.

Everything I read last year prior to smoking for the first time said not to use hickory or mesquite for just the reason, John. Everyone recommended something lighter like apple, cherry or alder-wood. Last year I used an apple/cheery mix, this year straight cherry cause I'm out of apple.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I don't cook, that's a woman's job, so I just wanted to wish you all a happy day!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I don't cook, that's a woman's job, so I just wanted to wish you all a happy day!

lol.

True. That's why almost all of the best chefs in the world are men. ;)

lol.

True. That's why almost all of the best chefs in the world are men. ;)

Nope...those restaurants are all run by misogynists and they're food is over rated. Haha!

916F4C34-7C3B-48B1-867F-8CED6A70D7CD.jpg
Mayo coated bird. Crispy outside, tender and moist inside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.