• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/20/17: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
November 20, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
“Only injuries reporting today will be Chris Thompson is going to have surgery. I think it's being scheduled for soon. I' mot sure of the date. [Terrelle] Pryor will have surgery by Dr. Anderson and [Montae] Nicholson is in concussion protocol.”

On re-watching the final six minutes of the game:
“Yeah, it's not fun to go back and watch that last six minutes on either side of the ball. There's a lot of issues defensively, offensively – third-and-1, couldn't convert. Bad calls. Bad coaching calls. Whatever it one might be, just as a group, the Redskins didn't get it done.”

On if he received any clarity in terms of the intentional grounding penalty:
“I don't know, I just… Kirk [Cousins] did what he was coached to do. I told him to throw it out of bounds. We had two receivers right there in the area. He wasn't under duress, so to me that wasn't grounding. But we'll have to ask the league on that one.”

On WR Terrelle Pryor Sr.:
“He'll go to IR.”

On if they will need to get an additional running back to take Chris Thompson's roster spot:
“Yes, we will do that. Obviously we have [Byron] Marshall in here right now, so we have two for sure. We have a practice squad we can bring up, but we'll have to wait and see where the spots may be and we have to have other positions of need also. The problem that we've had here as of late is with all the offensive lineman injuries, we've been heavy offensive linemen on our roster and practice squad to try to… so we've been light everywhere else. So when other positions get hit, we're trying to draw from places we don't have right now. We'll try to make do.”

On if RB Byron Marshall is capable of handling the third down role:
“We shall find out, John, now won't we? [Smiling] But he's a bright kid. He's bright-eyed and willing to learn. I think he's not going to have much of a choice. He's going to have to.”

On if he was thinking about using a timeout with 30 seconds left:
“We didn't have any timeouts. That's why, you know, I see the blitz and just try to get a hand signal over to throw it away. We'll get to second down, get a run called, spike it and kick a field goal on the last play of the game. But they called grounding and started the clock and then we didn't get it done. We blew the protection, actually, on the second one, so we had a sack.”

On if the end of the game was a function of coverage calls or defensive lapses:
“I think it's a little bit of both. I'm not going to stand up here and blame the calls or blame the players or anything. Let's credit Drew [Brees] and their execution, and our execution wasn't good enough against a heck of a quarterback – Hall of Fame type quarterback. Pressure wasn't good enough. When we tried to bring pressure, he escaped effortlessly and found open receivers. When we didn't pressure him, we didn't get any pressure and the coverage wasn't tight enough. So, combination of a lot of things.”

On if they will add another safety given S Montae Nicholson's injury:
“Well, we have… Fish [Smithson] is here already on the practice squad and we have [Deshazor] Everett and D-Hall [DeAngelo Hall] and D.J. [Swearinger], so we have three for sure that are active and ready to go. [Kendall] Fuller can also play safety, so that may not be a position we have to address right this second, which is good. Looking at the injury report that we have right now, we have other positions that we might have to address here in about 20 minutes.”

On how Nicholson is coming along this season:
“He's coming along great. He can run. He can hit. It's just, he's had issues with his AC joints on both shoulders and now the concussion. So, it's unfortunate because we love him as a prospect without a doubt. I think he's going to be an excellent safety. We just got to try to keep him out of the hot tub and obviously this concussion thing is a concern, so just got to get him well. That's number one. Let's get him well and then get him back on the field when he is well and we'll go from there.”

On the replay challenge:
“I had a couple timeouts left anyway and I got from upstairs that it looked like the ball was loose when it was coming out. They never saw the replay but one of our guys up there said he thought he saw it wobble, bobble a little bit when it came out and they were getting ready to line up and snap it anyways and I waited until the very last second hoping to see a replay but Drew was about to snap it anyway, so I threw it. We needed a blow anyway, so it was worth a shot I thought. Bad challenge. I could have used that timeout later probably.”

On why he didn't call a quarterback sneak on third-and-1:
“Yeah, sneak was an option. They lined up, they covered the center and both guards and we figured they were going to pinch down in there and stop the sneak, which basically they did, it looked like. We tried a little down-down-pull. Our center got picked off by the three-technique to his right, so he couldn't get the linebacker – was the main culprit – and then Niles [Paul] saw two free players in the hole and he kind of got flustered a little bit and didn't get any of them. It was a great play by them and had it be a chance for a do-over, probably would run it up the middle but those things have also been tough from time to time. Maybe just throw it, but if I throw it and that's not successful, no telling what would have happened. Anyway, you make a call in short yardage based on game plan and based on what you think can work. We had success with that play in the short yardage on the touchdown run to [Samaje] Perine out of a different personnel group, but we have athletic lineman that can pull and, for that front, we thought it'd be a good play. But they made it, we didn't.”

On if it is realistic to have three running backs ready on a short week:
“Yeah, I think we will probably get one of them up. I would think with Chris going on IR, I think we would get our third one up and ready to roll. That's the only option we have. We have to go with three.”

On trying to get the running backs prepared for Thursday without practicing this week:
“Well, you just have got to teach them. Randy Jordan's the greatest running back teacher of all time, man. He is just going to have to get his chalkboard out and get his little markers out and his eraser and teach them. He will, [he's] done it before.”

On losing players to injuries and the cumulative fatigue on other players as a result and if that factors into games:
“Probably, probably a little bit, especially when you're talking about a defensive rotation. When you start out with… first with Jonathan Allen and then Matt Ioannidis and Stacy [McGee] and they are all fresh and playing. Then all of a sudden Jonathan goes out and then Ioannidis goes out and now [Terrell] McClain goes out. Now the rotation becomes thinner and thinner. Those guys are big guys and they are running around. They are playing in base, first and second down, now they are asked to play on third down rushing the passer and it wears on them. Hats off to Ziggy Hood, I mean he's playing his tail off. Stacy McGee is doing a great job of battling and competing. Matt played with a club on his hand and he's walking around. Those guys – you have got to hand it to them for their effort and their tenacity. We could use a little help to spell them from time to time. We just don't have that luxury right now.”

On how the intentional grounding call sits with him:
“It doesn't sit very well with me at all. I can handle non-calls from time to time but I can't handle calls that aren't calls if that's the fact. We have two receivers in the area and he threw it over their heads. It is perfectly legal for a quarterback to overthrow a receiver or a receiver not to be looking and the ball fly over his head. It happens all the time. He wasn't under duress. Maybe I don't understand the rule. We will get clarity on it and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong – costly mistake. And if I'm right, then that's too bad.”

On how the club affected DL Matt Ioannidis' play:
“It probably affected it a little bit. I think it takes some getting used to. He did pretty well in practice using it, but as far as being able to latch… So much of it is locking out and shedding and all that stuff. To only do it with one hand is a little bit more difficult but he played extremely hard. He did the best he could. He had to come out. He had to fix it a couple times but for the most part he probably wasn't as effective as he normally would be but I don't think it was that much of a problem where he was totally ineffective.”

On if there is more of challenge having a short week after a tough loss:
“Yeah, it's a big challenge with the injuries that we have, for sure, then trying to get people ready from our practice squad, we will probably have to promote three or four guys from our practice squad to get them ready for the game, I would think. When it is all said and done, that's the biggest challenge, not knowing who is going to be available. Where's Jordan Reed? How do you game plan if he is in or not in? Is Spencer Long going to be able to be a backup center? Is Trent Williams going to play? Is Shawn Lauvao going to be OK? We have so many question marks. [Montae] Nicholson, [Martrell] Spaight, the list goes on and on and on, McClain. That's the biggest thing, to find out what healthy bodies we actually do have and then finding the ones that are going to play and getting them ready.”

On if he thinks the offensive line is similarly banged up as compared to before the Saints game:
“It's still pretty banged up, quite honestly. But we will get the guys ready. We have some guys in here that can play, you know? If [Tyler] Catalina has to step back in there, he played against Seattle [and] played a couple games. [Arie] Kouandjio has played for us. He will be ready to roll. We have [Tony] Bergstrom in here. He has played center before if we need him. I think one thing Bill [Callahan] has done is he's developed – if you're in the building you are going to know what to do. So he will get them ready to go.”

On RB Samaje Perine's performance:
“Yeah, I thought he ran well, I did. I think he had good contact balance. He was patient on some of the runs. He ran through some tackles. It's really good to see him get more than five or six carries to see how he does in the course of the game. We are going to have to lean on him quite a bit.”

On allowing yards after catches and if it's a mental issue late in games:
“It could be that. It could be the fast pace and guys not getting lined up or communicating the call properly and maybe communicating the wrong call from time to time. It shouldn't be. We have been doing the same thing two-minute-wise all year. We shouldn't be having any miscommunications but we had a couple uncharacteristic miscommunications for some reason and that is something we will address and get fixed up. That's the frustrating part. It's one thing if you play some tight man-to-man and make a great throw and a great catch, I can deal with that. But some of the missed coverages or blown assignments are the ones that are hard to live with. That's on us as coaches. That's something we have got to fix.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've never visited Football Zebras, it's a good site for finding detailed analysis of calls. There's a good article concerning the intentional grounding call and one thing it pointed out was that the call is not reviewable (although the spot is) and that it takes no fewer than TWO officials to verify if the call should be intentional grounding.

Bottom line is that (a) it wasn't grounding & (b) the officials had all the information they needed to make the correct call but failed. Utterly failed.

link: http://www.footballzebras.com/2017/11/20/report-league-admits-error-on-grounding-call-that-stalls-last-minute-drive/

While Washington did have some self-inflicted damage - they don't need help from the ref's.

Last edited:
On the replay challenge:
“I had a couple timeouts left anyway and I got from upstairs that it looked like the ball was loose when it was coming out. They never saw the replay but one of our guys up there said he thought he saw it wobble, bobble a little bit when it came out and they were getting ready to line up and snap it anyways and I waited until the very last second hoping to see a replay but Drew was about to snap it anyway, so I threw it. We needed a blow anyway, so it was worth a shot I thought. Bad challenge. I could have used that timeout later probably.”

Don't believe I'd have admitted that. Not a very smart nor good look.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.