• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Behind Enemy Lines - Dear Jay

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Dear Jay,

You don't know me, at least not personally but I guess you could say you know me because I am a Redskins fan and as such, you know a lot of us. Yes, I just used your first name like we are buds, although trust me, right now we are definitely not buds. You see, I'm not buds with thieves and less you think that isn't possible let me explain that you have taken years off my life and stolen my hope. And faith. And trust.

Stop! Don't put this letter down just yet. I didn't write just to berate you although that was as tempting as an unguarded pie fresh out of the oven the day before Thanksgiving. ... Read More...

At season's end, we'll be looking back at a lot of contests vs. strong opponents and lamenting on what could have been.

While the potential is there for this team to be great, we seem to be our own worst enemy at the worst of possible times. That includes Jay Gruden.

Don't know if it was the popular choice, but in my estimation, I thought we should have been more aggressive with the ball in our hands with an 8 point lead. Kirk Cousins had a great game and was making some amazing throws all day long. To me, it seems obvious that he's our best offensive weapon and if you want to prevent a superstar like Drew Brees from having one last crack at it, you put your trust in him, as opposed to a rookie in Samaje Perine and an offensive line that has struggled forever with short yardage run blocking. Three straight runs? Seriously? Not even one attempt to get creative and catch their defense off guard? We gifted them the ball back. Too much emphasis was put on killing clock when all you basically needed were two more first downs (possibly one depending on the clock and how quickly you moved the chains). On Perine's failed 3rd and short, Gruden killed 24 seconds to bring it down to the 2 minute warning. Sorry, but whether you're punting to Drew fricken Brees at the 2 minute mark, or let's say 2:16 or so (assuming one incompletion via the pass on that series), it doesn't really make a difference. Brees is that good that even a minute for sake of argument is PLENTY of time for him to operate with. Ultimately, I think Gruden failed to account for the type of player Brees is, and it cost us the game. There are certain times where moving the chains and playing to your strengths has to trump clock killing late in the game. Gruden blew it in that regard.

There are team wins and there are team losses too. We defined team loss today - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching all had their finger in the pudding.

Last edited:
At season's end, we'll be looking back at a lot of contests vs. strong opponents and lamenting on what could have been.

While the potential is there for this team to be great, we seem to be our own worst enemy at the worst of possible times. That includes Jay Gruden.

Don't know if it was the popular choice, but in my estimation, I thought we should have been more aggressive with the ball in our hands with an 8 point lead. Kirk Cousins had a great game and was making some amazing throws all day long. To me, it seems obvious that he's our best offensive weapon and if you want to prevent a superstar like Drew Brees from having one last crack at it, you put your trust in him, as opposed to a rookie in Samaje Perine and an offensive line that has struggled forever with short yardage run blocking. Three straight runs? Seriously? Not even one attempt to get creative and catch their defense off guard? We gifted them the ball back. Too much emphasis was put on killing clock when all you basically needed were two more first downs (possibly one depending on the clock and how quickly you moved the chains). On Perine's failed 3rd and short, Gruden killed 24 seconds to bring it down to the 2 minute warning. Sorry, but whether you're punting to Drew fricken Brees at the 2 minute mark, or let's say 2:16 or so (assuming one incompletion via the pass on that series), it doesn't really make a difference. Brees is that good that even a minute for sake of argument is PLENTY of time for him to operate with. Ultimately, I think Gruden failed to account for the type of player Brees is, and it cost us the game. There are certain times where moving the chains and playing to your strengths has to trump clock killing late in the game. Gruden blew it in that regard.

There are team wins and there are team losses too. We defined team loss today - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching all had their finger in the pudding.

Completely agree with all of this. Very well said.

Yesterday's performance made me think of this, for some reason...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.