A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

B Behind Enemy Lines - Dear Jay

Dear Jay,

You don’t know me, at least not personally but I guess you could say you know me because I am a Redskins fan and as such, you know a lot of us. Yes, I just used your first name like we are buds, although trust me, right now we are definitely not buds. You see, I’m not buds with thieves and less you think that isn’t possible let me explain that you have taken years off my life and stolen my hope. And faith. And trust.

Stop! Don’t put this letter down just yet. I didn’t write just to berate you although that was as tempting as an unguarded pie fresh out of the oven the day before Thanksgiving. ... Read More...
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

hailus redskinus
    COYS

BGO Survivor Champ 2015

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Re: Behind Enemy Lines - Dear Jay

At season's end, we'll be looking back at a lot of contests vs. strong opponents and lamenting on what could have been.

While the potential is there for this team to be great, we seem to be our own worst enemy at the worst of possible times. That includes Jay Gruden.

Don't know if it was the popular choice, but in my estimation, I thought we should have been more aggressive with the ball in our hands with an 8 point lead. Kirk Cousins had a great game and was making some amazing throws all day long. To me, it seems obvious that he's our best offensive weapon and if you want to prevent a superstar like Drew Brees from having one last crack at it, you put your trust in him, as opposed to a rookie in Samaje Perine and an offensive line that has struggled forever with short yardage run blocking. Three straight runs? Seriously? Not even one attempt to get creative and catch their defense off guard? We gifted them the ball back. Too much emphasis was put on killing clock when all you basically needed were two more first downs (possibly one depending on the clock and how quickly you moved the chains). On Perine's failed 3rd and short, Gruden killed 24 seconds to bring it down to the 2 minute warning. Sorry, but whether you're punting to Drew fricken Brees at the 2 minute mark, or let's say 2:16 or so (assuming one incompletion via the pass on that series), it doesn't really make a difference. Brees is that good that even a minute for sake of argument is PLENTY of time for him to operate with. Ultimately, I think Gruden failed to account for the type of player Brees is, and it cost us the game. There are certain times where moving the chains and playing to your strengths has to trump clock killing late in the game. Gruden blew it in that regard.

There are team wins and there are team losses too. We defined team loss today - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching all had their finger in the pudding.
    Last edited by Canadian Hog; 11-19-17 at 08:21 PM.
    0 2 0 0

NFL Pickem Champion 2017 BGO Ballers Champion 2018
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    High Point

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Hog View Post
    At season's end, we'll be looking back at a lot of contests vs. strong opponents and lamenting on what could have been.

While the potential is there for this team to be great, we seem to be our own worst enemy at the worst of possible times. That includes Jay Gruden.

Don't know if it was the popular choice, but in my estimation, I thought we should have been more aggressive with the ball in our hands with an 8 point lead. Kirk Cousins had a great game and was making some amazing throws all day long. To me, it seems obvious that he's our best offensive weapon and if you want to prevent a superstar like Drew Brees from having one last crack at it, you put your trust in him, as opposed to a rookie in Samaje Perine and an offensive line that has struggled forever with short yardage run blocking. Three straight runs? Seriously? Not even one attempt to get creative and catch their defense off guard? We gifted them the ball back. Too much emphasis was put on killing clock when all you basically needed were two more first downs (possibly one depending on the clock and how quickly you moved the chains). On Perine's failed 3rd and short, Gruden killed 24 seconds to bring it down to the 2 minute warning. Sorry, but whether you're punting to Drew fricken Brees at the 2 minute mark, or let's say 2:16 or so (assuming one incompletion via the pass on that series), it doesn't really make a difference. Brees is that good that even a minute for sake of argument is PLENTY of time for him to operate with. Ultimately, I think Gruden failed to account for the type of player Brees is, and it cost us the game. There are certain times where moving the chains and playing to your strengths has to trump clock killing late in the game. Gruden blew it in that regard.

There are team wins and there are team losses too. We defined team loss today - offense, defense, special teams, and coaching all had their finger in the pudding.
    Completely agree with all of this. Very well said.
    0 0 0 0

NFL Pickem Champion 2015

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yesterday's performance made me think of this, for some reason...

0 0 0 0