• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

New tech could have a huge impact on NFL fan viewership...

CounterTrey

The Team Captain
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nbc-to-make-viewing-experience-more-like-madden-for-titans-steelers-game/

"We are excited to present a game with the majority of live-action coverage coming from SkyCam," Gaudelli said, adding: "After pivoting out of necessity to Skycam in the New England fog, we've been aggressively planning and testing with the intent of utilizing the system for a full game. ...

"We'll still have our full complement of cameras and will revert to traditional coverage when situations dictate, but the primary viewing experience of the game will come from the Skycam angle."

Consider me a huge critic of it. I absolutely HATE this view. Took me about 15 minutes to tire of it and turn it off. The vantage point totally blows and you can't see the ball at all when it's passed. EPIC fail and if it becomes ubiquitous that's that much less NFL I'll be watching. It's as if they've enacted a coordinated, deeply detailed plan to drive off most of their fanbase and just about anyone over age 20 with all the crap that's been turning fans off of late. To me it's a gimmick worth cutting to in rare instances at best. A full broadcast? Buh-bye.

BOOOOO!!!

Interesting post... Couple thoughts... first of all - if they thought making players play without pants would improve Thursday Night Football ratings they'd go with it :)

Secondly - I think innovative use of technology in terms of camera use is both inevitable and likely a positive in terms of giving fans as up close and personal a view of the on the field experience as possible. In other words, we probably will see more of the 'skycam' view in the future. I'm not skeered.

Thirdly - I can't foresee the NFL dispensing with 50 years of traditional football camera angles in order to attract the gaming crowd because CBS Sports thinks it's awesome.

On a side note, I liked the glowing trail puck in NHL hockey. But it didn't destroy hockey and it isn't coming back any way so I can still sleep soundly tonight. But please do bring it back NHL!!!

For what it's worth (and on a more serious note), agree with Counter Trey here - boo, hiss, etc... this sounds a lot like an idea some hotshot 23 year old Public Relations intern is pushing...

Last edited:
I'm a big Formula 1 fan as well as Football and for a number of years now they've been offering their feeds of the races with the 'Red Button' option.

You can press the red button on your TV remote and access other views of the race, including just watching the feed from the Drivers in car cameras if that's what you want. Or seeing a computer generated view of the circuit mapping out where all the racers currently are etc.

I guess it's easier to do for them as it's just one event they're streaming live, rather than a dozen games on different networks every week, but I'd love to see a future where I can view a game and pick and choose or flit between the views I want.

The sky cam is right up there with Thursday Night football, playing in other countries, and not being able to have your entire roster active on gameday.

They all suck eggs.

I'm a big Formula 1 fan as well as Football and for a number of years now they've been offering their feeds of the races with the 'Red Button' option.

You can press the red button on your TV remote and access other views of the race, including just watching the feed from the Drivers in car cameras if that's what you want. Or seeing a computer generated view of the circuit mapping out where all the racers currently are etc.

I guess it's easier to do for them as it's just one event they're streaming live, rather than a dozen games on different networks every week, but I'd love to see a future where I can view a game and pick and choose or flit between the views I want.

I USED to be a big Nascar fan and this technology popped up there too. You could log on and pick a stream of either a specific driver, or a split screen with up to 4 drivers. I don't see why this isn't possible with the NFL, but make I don't think it should be a primary camera angle on the TV broadcast. If I was able to log into my computer and have the Skycam stream going via NFL.com or some other outlet, but have the normal broadcast on my TV, it could be fun to see.... it could give different perspectives, but I would want it to be voluntary.

I like it as a side dish, especially on replays of deep plays but not for the whole meal.

Worst part of Thursday's game was I couldn't get the color adjusted right. Kept showing the Seahawks in neon puke green uniforms.
Additionally there should be only 1 Thursday for football and that's Thanksgiving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.