• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

How Long?

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
How long will it take for the Redskins to get back 'on top'?

Well, if on top means contending for a title then I think looking back to the Johnson years in Dallas can be instructive.

Johnson went 1-15, 7-9 and then 11-5 before breaking through in 1992.

He inherited a team that finished 3-13 which needed to find a quarterback and had to rebuild the lines. He also inherited a high draft pick WR in Michael Irvin who had been injured his first couple of seasons in the NFL.

Sound familiar?

Johnson had a phenomenal draft record from 1989-92 which vaulted Dallas forward from the picks off the Walker trade.

The Redskins don'( have those extra picks but we now have veteran free agency which allows teams to target improvement in specific areas more quickly.

Based on that and the fact this team has some talent already here, I would think the 1-15 year would be correlated to the Zorn year at 4-12, where Davis, Orakpo, Thomas and others started to emerge from the carnage.

I think 7-9 in 2010 is very likely, followed by a better year in 2011 where the wildcard may be in the offing.

But as with Dallas I don't see this team truly contending until 2011.

This is based on the view that Shanahan will draft a quarterback abd develop him over that period.

If the Redskins trade for a veteran the team may be better sooner, but the question will then be what the upside will be with a player another team believed was dispensible?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Two years.

Best case scenario is we pick up a QB and OT and C/G at the minimum. In 2011, we fill the remaining holes we may have (OL, DL, ILB - if we go 3-4, RB), and if our QB pans out, we're golden.

If we get the right QB in this draft, and add some o-line pieces around him, and tweak the D to start the shift to a 3-4, it can be fairly quick

Fairly quick in this case meaning the 2012 season when the Redskins are ready to compete for a playoff spot

Depending on what Shanahan does, I predict a 6-10 to 8-8 season. This team, while bad, was not 4-12 bad and a decent coach could have gotten 8-8 out of this schedule

I predict this

2010: 6-10, with some growing pains for a rookie QB and a young o-line gelling, but signs of life towards the end of the season

2011: Slow start, up and down QB play, but a terrific November and December with a team on the cusp of the wild card. 9-7

2012: 3rd year with the QB (which is also a break through year for Shanahan's offenses), D has been re-tooled to play the 3-4, a division title should be the expectation

Could be faster if Shanahan can use Campbell as more than a place holder, something I think more than possible.

So much depends on what happens in the draft.

I, too, don't think much will happen for the Redskins this coming season.

Consider:

We don't have much of an offensive line. At all.

We don't have much at running back.

We don't have a settled QB position.

But I, at least, want to see some positive movement. Some sort of promise of what Shanahan is capable of.

Next year, maybe. Depend on what happens in the draft.

Super Bowl next year!!!

I'd say 2011. Two uncapped years should speed things up, too.

I'd prefer to think we're more like the Jack Pardee team of 1980. We had a solid defense, but the offense was suspect. Theismann was very streaky...the team had a 4 and 5 game losing streak that year, and lost to the pukes twice.

Riggins had taken the year off over a contract dispute, and the offense was floundering.

Gibbs gets hired, lures Riggins back, decides to keep Theismann after a come-to-Jesus meeting, AND drafts May, Grimm, Manley...oh, and a guy named Monk...and signs Jacoby.

Let's see what kind of draft Shanahan has.

Crap, I was thinking that the 2008 Skins were similar to Pardee's 1978 squad, with the hot start followed by the shaky offense, and was hoping that the 2009 team could repeat 1979, sans the heartbreaker to the Cowboys at the end of the season.

I think this team gets back to the .500 level in 2010, and, if there's not a lockout, mark my words: the Redskins will be in the NFCCG in 2011.

Call me greedy but I want a winning record in 2010, dadgummit. I've seen other team's coaches have success in their first year, when they were supposed to be rebuilding one side of the ball. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same from a guy who has won two Super Bowls and has a bunch of playoff appearances.

Granted, our schedule for next year looks tough on paper but, with the parity the NFL seems to have now, anything is possible.

I'll say 3-4 years. Only reason saying 4 is if there is a lockout in 2011.

You would think the NFL and Players Association would realize the damage a lockout would do to the sport and its popularity.

Can't say how long. I'd be happy with playoff contention talk in mid november at this point as opposed to what we saw this year...lol

I'll be excited if we can stop being a joke, forget the record.

To me 2010 has nothing to do with record.
It has everything to do with improvement.

Is there a culture change on this team?
Is this team adapting to the new scheme?
Are the players that Shanahan drafting and bringing in helping this team?
Are the Redskins addressing needs not/rarely addressed during the Snyder/Cerrato run tenure?

Will Mike Shanahan's scheme work in the NFCE ($1,000,000 question)?
Will Jim Haslett's scheme work?

Will this team start playing like a team?
Will the "drama" of the Redskins come to an end and this team finally start to focus on winning?

If the answer to most of these questions are yes and the Skins are 6-10 then it will be a significant start.

It's hard to tell with this team.....my guess is that we'll either have an immediate turn around (like the Falcons) or slow improvement that will make the Skins a legitimate team in 2011 or 2012.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.