• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Thread: Week 10 2017 - Vikings @ Redskins

Who do you like - Redskins or Vikings?

• Win

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purple? What is this...a Prince fan club?

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Well, for the foreseeable future, we are in "Must Win" territory.

At home, conference game. Can't lose. No excuses.

Our D should handle their offense just fine.

Whether Gruden can develop a decent offensive gameplan is the question. The last 2 have been stinkers. The defense bailed us out against the Seahawks.

Come on Jay.................KISS.

The Vikings are currently favored by 2 1/2 points.

I'd like to see us get at least 2 OL starters returning, and then hopefully someone like Crowder or Reed. It should be another close one.

Somewhat more worried about this one than the Seahawks.

Vikes are willing to run - Skins def against the run hasn't been real good but Keenum isn't going to run for 70 yd's. Minn run D is much worse. Now, can/will the Skins run it is another story.
Vikes pass D has been good & they have a pile of sacks (#8 in the league). Kirk's been sacked 14 times in the last 3 games (6 yesterday). Granted it's a patchwork OLine but Cousin's needs to unload sooner - he isn't gonna get as much time so he can't take time that isn't there. Getting at least Scherff back would help a lot.
Case isn't going win a shootout with Washington but plays safe. 3 Int's; 5 sacks & no fumbles. Kirk has had 9 fumbles and lost 4 (4 fumbles in the last two games losing 2 of those) but has a much higher ceiling.
Redskins have a very good secondary but TEs are still a problem and Rudolph is a good TE.
Vikes coming off a bye week.
Their kicker probably won't miss 3 FG's if given that many opportunities.

I don't see Jay running much without a substantial lead. Make Keenum try to beat you in the air and keep them from getting a run game going. Keep pressure on the QB although the Skins are going against a better line than Seattle.

For one week can we please have more healthy guys return to the lineup than go down during a game. :yikes: Somebody must have voodoo dolls and lots of needles. Art Jones is already doubtful with a separated shoulder.

Yeah we lost Art Jones and Brian Quick is in Concussion protocol.

Regarding Kirk vs Keenum and the fumbling.

For starters Keenums stats are only coming from 4 games I think. Bradford played before that.

Kirk does need to unload faster in some circumstances ( there were at least a couple during the Seahawks game where he had opportunity to get rid of it) to throw it away under pressure. But... and here's me playing Devil's Advocate, with our swiss cheese O-line sometimes that pressure is coming in so fast (I saw numerous totally unblocked defenders come through our line on Sunday) or from the blindside with Williams out (which must be even worse in Seattle where the crowd noise means you can't hear what's going on behind you) that he has no choice but to cover up and take the sack. To throw it anywhere he's got to **** that arm, and that leads to a elevated risk of fumble compared to pocketing the ball and going to ground.

Unless it can be proven that he was in the act of throwing.... and we all saw how inconsistently that gets called in week 1, which was ruled a fumble but he was definitely throwing and should have been an incompletion. That was run back and pretty much decided that game then and there.

Well, having to face Keenum instead of Sam Bradford - that's got to be good news for the Skins. The Vikings put Bradford on IR to make room for the addition of Teddy Bridgewater to the roster. Bridgewater could be backup this weekend, or they may take a more cautious approach with him.

***Edit: Sounds like Bridgewater will be active on Sunday - so if Keenum goes down or plays poorly, they have the option of trotting out Teddy. Would seem foolhardy given he has rushed back from a big injury, still has to wear a brace, and has had zero live work in 2017?

Did these guys not see what happened to RG3 when they allowed him to return early?

Last edited:
For starters Keenums stats are only coming from 4 games I think. Bradford played before that.

Keenum has played 7 games with 6 starts

I can't wait for this game.

Let's go already!

Okay so did Russia hack our defense today or what? Seems our secondary is getting lit the **** up.

1st n goal on the 3....3 straight incompletions? Seems pretty Jayish

Best part of the game so far... hearing a little snippet of “Sympton of the Universe.”

After getting smothered on 3rd and 1 they try to run again on 4th and 1.

Makes no sense.

Jay and Kirk just don't have "it"...they're mediocre, no matter what the stat book says....

Without seeing 95% of the games, I'm curious if there's some convincing “tells” when we run the ball. Basically are our packages/formations easy to tee off on?

Agree about Jay & Kirk, couldn't find a complete 4qtr rhythm if it slapped em in the face.

I had to work yesterday. Had the game on in an empty patient room but obviously couldn't stand there watching it for extended periods. Couple general thoughts based on the loss and what I've read about it:

1) There IS no home field advantage for us. Short of some kind of resurgence of the franchise where we are competing for multiple SBs (ala the Gibbs era) - there never will be. It has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that Washington DC is not really a typical city. There is an incredible diversity of and influx and exit of population in that area that tends to mean there are always going to be big groups of opposing fans attending games. Sure - huge success of the team would bolster Skins fan attendance at the games. A new and better stadium might also help. But I just tend to think it's the nature of the area that we will always struggle to have a real home field advantage.

2) That being said - the bigger issue is that the Redskins just don't play particularly well at home. Crowd noise is always helpful, but lets face it...most teams prefer to play at home, play better at home, and that's the nature of the 'advantage'. We just don't seem to enjoy that kind of improved performance at home. I can't explain it but I think most if not all would agree - we're no more likely to win at home than we are on the road.

3) Om said it to me on the phone before this game. This loss was such a typical Skins performance. Big, inspired, unexpected win on the road, followed by a lackluster loss at home in a must win situation. I don't know why our guys can't get up for big games at Fed Ex - but they struggle with it. This loss felt a lot like the Green Bay home playoff loss 2 years ago. Evenly matched teams. Back and forth game early, with the B&G making the crucial mistakes down the stretch and letting the game get out of hand in the end.

4) More than any other team I watch, the Redskins seem incapable of having all 3 units show up for the same game. When we win, it's because the defense OR the offense OR ST played a great game. But never do all 3 units excel. Even last week in the Seattle win, our offense was putrid throughout most of the game and it took some late game miracles to come out on top. If our offense and defense both showed up on game days, we'd certainly be better than .500 right now. I have no idea what to attribute that to. Maybe it's this way with all teams, but it seems the Redskins struggle having all 3 units perform well in the same game much more so than other teams do?

I always watch the game - but I think I'm going to pass in re-watching this one. I don't need the pain :) The Redskins 2017 season was likely lost yesterday. Excluding the division leaders, there are currently 6 teams with 5 or more wins competing for wildcard spots (including 2 teams with 6 wins). The Redskins have NO division wins and only 3 conference wins. That sucks. With 7 games to go, even if we won 6 of them, we'd likely have to see major implosions from other conference rivals to have a chance at a wildcard. It might take a sweep of the remaining games to secure a playoff spot.

We're not a bad team. But unless you define .500 as achievement, we have yet to demonstrate that we're a good one. Yes - as Kirk Cousins correctly stated in his post-game comments, the NFL is extremely competitive. It's an 'Any Given Sunday' league. We all know that. But good teams don't put themselves in a position every damn year where they have to win out just to make the playoffs. When we are consistently in the mix and an even bet to make the playoffs every year, then I'll be happy to characterize us as a good team.

Yesterday was our opportunity to show that we will be relevant in 2017. The challenge was to beat an evenly matched team with a good QB and good overall talent on our home field. We couldn't do it. Again. And we're going nowhere this season. Again.

As you all know, I really like Jay Gruden. But these are the games that take the measure of your overall ability. And Gruden is failing these tests over and over again.

If you were watching the game yesterday with a friend that was a sports fan, but not a NFL fan, would they be able to easily identify which qb makes 23.9m and which one makes 1.9m?

When you have a rigid, system coach, unwilling or unable to adjust that system for the many different situations that teams face, this is the result.

Flashes of brilliance, too often followed by incompetence. Shades of Norv.

I see Pryor's failure to contribute, as a failure of the coaching staff. On a supposedly superior team, with a supposedly superior QB, we can't get shit out of him.
I see the piss poor running game as a failure of the staff to teach proper running technique's. Gruden's disdain for the run, regardless of the mouth time he gives it, is why after all this time they have a JV rushing attack.

Add to that an average QB, and here we are, again.

No, we're not out of it. But we clearly entered the "we need a miracle" part of the season. Yeah, there's faith we can pull a couple unexpected wins out. But it's just as likely, if not more likely, that 2017 is another wasted year.

And I know today might not be the best time to judge. But as of today, I think Norv Gruden and Crook Cousins, need to be replaced at the end of the season.
Sooner if we fall of the cliff now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.