• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Thread: Week 10 2017 - Vikings @ Redskins

Who do you like - Redskins or Vikings?

• Win

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purple? What is this...a Prince fan club?

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Bullshit. This front office HAS assembled one of the best OL's in the NFL. You can't beat on them because we've been decimated by injury DP.

Not talking about when injured.

When the whole starting unit is healthy, they are average run blockers as a unit.

This team has struggled converting 3rd and short for years on the ground. We have two above average, dominate run blockers on the line at LT and RG. The other three are JAGS.

Think I'm wrong? Why was SMac slobbering all over Ryan Kelly from Alabama 2 yrs ago to the point that everyone knew we wanted him?

The Oline here is the most overrated unit on this team. To think it's complete is just nonsense.

I respect that POV but could not disagree more. Yeah - the defense crapped the bed. But the bottom line is, going back to what I said earlier, it takes a total team effort to beat good teams. The offense gave up points, turned the ball over, and failed to close the deal in key opportunities. I am not going to give them a pass.

I get that Boone, and I agree that the day we are a TOTAL team on both sides of the ball will be the day that we are something special again.

But personally I feel that to blame the Offense in anyway for last night's loss is wrong when you look at the big picture..

Every time a team steps on the field, any team at all.... they leave points on the table and have bad plays. No team ever pitches the complete game (to mix my metaphors!)

Put it this way... against the Vikings who had the number 5 ranked Defense in the league, our offense scored:

More points on them than any other opponent so far this season.
Scored more points in this game than in that win over the Raiders we all loved earlier in the year.
Indeed we scored out highest points total of the year so far
League AVERAGE points scored by teams is 22 points, so we exceeded the league average by 8 points.

Was it a pretty game? No. Did they leave points on the field? Yes, undoubtedly.

But only 2 teams in the league are averaging more than 30 points per game, so are we just being extremely harsh and critical putting blame on an offense that exceeded it's best output from the season so far and kept us in the game after the Defense undoubtedly messed the bed?

I'd love an offense that score 40+ every week but this isn't the 1991 Skins. This is the 2017 Skins and we aren't Championship ready yet. But in reality what we have is an Offense which is beset with injury and a work in progress in many areas. This week flattered to deceive as we had out O-line pretty much active, but I can't imagine any of them are close to 100%.

We're also throwing alot of shade at Kirk lately which is justified in the moment, but I don't think it is in the big picture. I feel like we judge in isolation sometimes without taking a view of what else is going on around the league.

The Viking game is a prime example.

This morning the world and it's wife is proclaiming Keenum the second coming... But lets take a look at his numbers.

He threw for 304 yards.... 100 of which came of 2 throws, where our Secondary looked the worse it's been all season.
He was also passing from behind a generally healthy O-line .
He also had the help of a run game that generated over 100 yards.
And on top of that he threw 2 interceptions.

It was, IMHO, our Defense that made him look good, not vice versa.

On the flip side Kirk had to play one of the top Defenses in the league, that looked like it.
Behind an O-line that might be back, but I'd wager is still a long way from 100%
Pryor disappeared totally, Doctson fell over, Reed and Niles are broken and his two best targets are a guy just off the practice squad and a guy who we'd all written off as the worst WR on the roster six months ago.
Plus our running game is spotty at best and doesn't scare anyone even when Kelly is healthy.

For me it's all a matter of perspective.

Maybe it's an ethos that goes hand in hand with my F1 obsession. There are lots of great drivers capable of winning a championship, but sometimes they're not in the right car at the right time. Hamilton and Alonso are considered two of the best drivers in modern F1. Both are more than capable of raising a car beyond it's limits, but Alonso has been hamstrung this year by a truly terrible car with an engine down on power and prone to breakdowns. Meanwhile Hamilton has been sitting in one of the best cars in the field.

Now I'm not saying Kirk is a world champion, or the best QB in the league. But sometimes I think you need to look at what he's doing with what he has at his disposal. I have never seen a season for injuries across the board like this year. Never. The team is decimated and even when we get players back on the field you get the impression that we're getting them back out of necessity rather than because they're truly ready. We couldn't even dress a full team a couple of weeks ago.

LOL So that's my two cents.

Let's discuss! :D

Not talking about when injured.

When the whole starting unit is healthy, they are average run blockers as a unit.

This team has struggled converting 3rd and short for years on the ground. We have two above average, dominate run blockers on the line at LT and RG. The other three are JAGS.

Think I'm wrong? Why was SMac slobbering all over Ryan Kelly from Alabama 2 yrs ago to the point that everyone knew we wanted him?

The Oline here is the most overrated unit on this team. To think it's complete is just nonsense.

Know what I think?

Williams - Lauvao - Long - Scherff - Moses

I think that's a hell of a line. When they are actually on the field.

'SMac'? Are you referring to our former GM? And if so, is that before, or after 3 or 4 shots of Basil Hayden?

Perfect OL (if there is such a thing)? No. I didn't say it was 'complete'. One of the best OL's in the NFL?

Yep.

As for nonsense - I'll let time determine that.

'SMac'? Are you referring to our former GM? And if so, is that before, or after 3 or 4 shots of Basil Hayden?

Wow...no sense in talking here.

I guess all of Scot's moves are considered bad now too, huh? Because Bruce says so?

I think Scherff is a hell of a piece that was added. I was hoping for more in the same vein.

I guess we'll never know now. It's back to the same old same old with the Front Office.

If you believe the 'Scot McCloughan was an infallible savant who was wronged because Snyder and Allen are the devil' schtick and that the rest of the Redskins organization is populated by idiots - yeah, I'm not buying it.

Sorry.

We've dedicated significant resources to both the O and D lines in the last several drafts. If you want to give specifics on grievances, glad to discuss.

I specifically don't appreciate the BS attack that I'm some kind of Bruce Allen homer. Want me to pull up the 8 gazillion posts where I call him a useless politician? Because I can....

Edit: I'm not averse to the argument that our run blocking could be improved - but honestly - I don't think you can divorce that argument from the injury situation. Continuity - or more accurately the absence of it - is the enemy of great OL play. We haven't had continuity this year. My argument with you is the implication that Snyder/Allen & Company are bumbling fumbling fools who don't care about the OL. I don't think our recent draft history supports that. Nor do I believe our OL is the root of our problems.

Last edited:
Didn't say Scot was infallible but he was a hell of alot better than what's been in the Front Office the last 20 yrs.

If you can't even admit that...

Who do you want picking players on Draft Day:

Scot McCloughan
Doug Williams
Bruce Allen
Vinny Cerrato

Somebody will bring up Scot Campbell...he's been here the last 17 yrs...part of the dysfunction.

If our scouting department is above average, as you seem to imply...where has it shown itself the last 20 yrs?

IMO, I'd like to see it purged and replaced with an actual football GM...Not cobbled together with two guys who are where they are by family name and past gridiron glory.

We haven't won at least 11 games in a season since 1991. You'd think the law of averages would catch up with that.

It just doesn't happen here.

Didn't say Scot was infallible but he was a hell of alot better than what's been in the Front Office the last 20 yrs.

If you can't even admit that...

Who do you want picking players on Draft Day:

Scot McCloughan
Doug Williams
Bruce Allen
Vinny Cerrato

Somebody will bring up Scot Campbell...he's been here the last 17 yrs...part of the dysfunction.

If our scouting department is above average, as you seem to imply...where has it shown itself the last 20 yrs?

IMO, I'd like to see it purged and replaced with an actual football GM...Not cobbled together with two guys who are where they are by family name and past gridiron glory.

We haven't won at least 11 games in a season since 1991. You'd think the law of averages would catch up with that.

It just doesn't happen here.

Your frustration level doesn't give you a free pass to throw inaccurate shit at me. I think what we're seeing, once we strip ourselves of the McLovin man love, is that his draft picks have been hit and miss - like most GM picks are. I never disliked McCloughan. But I also believe the fact that he lost his 3rd consecutive front office job is more indicative of his own issues and not necessarily that the Redskins front office is evil incarnate.

I'm neither a Snyder nor an Allen fan. If you need me to quote my own previous posts as evidence, glad to.

I didn't imply anything. I said our OL - when healthy - is pretty damn good. That's not my assessment - it's a general NFL assessment. Doesn't mean it's 100% correct and if you want to take a contrary view, more power to you.

Guess what? I agree on the GM part. I've been criticizing Allen for years. So we actually agree on that.

I just don't get the hype of this Oline as a unit overall...even when healthy.

Whether that be here, in the media, or "league" consensus.

When you watch this team week in week out struggle to convert short yardage and goal line on the ground.

It's been going on here for years.

They are a decent pass blocking unit I'll give them that.....

BTW...just where am I throwing inaccurate shit at you at?

'Decent'? You mean, #2 in 2016, and even with all the injuries in 2017, we have the 9th ranked passing attack?

Yeah. That's decent.

I'd appreciate if you dialed the snark back a bit. I have never defended Allen nor Snyder. I was a fan of McLovin overall.

Last edited:
Sorry if I offended you.

Thought you were defending the front office.

Still have to disagree on the Oline.

Until I see them able to control the LOS in the run game, I can't buy the hype.

It's all good. We all want the same thing. I still believe we'll get there eventually. In the absence of belief, tough to justify running a Redskins fan site :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.