• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda - at the trade deadline

JohnssBass

The Team Captain
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Any thoughts about moves the Skins coulda made?

Overall I'd say not really. Washington's in a tough spot. To add a guy you have to move/release one on the roster. They've got a pile of injuries but mostly they are walking wounded not really IR bound.

As far as releasing players not really a lot of options. They won't use Quick, for whatever reason, so it would seem he could get dropped to make space. On the other hand as poorly as the WRs as a unit have played maybe shoulda keep him around. Might he go active & Pryor go inactive for a game - I wouldn't be shocked.

Woulda traded a 4th for Ajai? No, I wouldn't. He probably would supplant Kelly but he's been wildly inconsistent. You'd replace one questionable guy with a different questionable guy and give up a 4th to do so.

Kelvin Benjamin for a 3rd? I would've made that move.

Or a 4th and Pryor Sr. In response to above comment about Kelvin Benjamin

Well, as I've said recently, I would have considered any offer for Reed.

He's hell when he's well.
But he's so often, not.

Well, as I've said recently, I would have considered any offer for Reed.

He's hell when he's well.
But he's so often, not.

Since drafted in 2013, Reed has played in 52 games (started 27) and never played 16 games in 1 season nor ever had more than 8 starts. 6 fumbles is pretty high, too. He's averaged 10.3 yds a catch & 1 TD for every 12 catches.
Compared to Davis in those same years; 62 games (54 starts) and has played in every game since coming to Washington with 2 fumbles since 2013 (9 career). Averaged 13.5 yds a catch & a TD on every 10th reception.

Reed can play with the best of them when he plays and has far greater upside for the Skins (although Sprinkle is an unknown presently) but has he been really that much more productive overall? Not saying Davis should supplant Reed as the #1 TE (I guess by default he is right now) but maybe the Skins could do just as well, or better, overall with a TE that's less of a game breaker but is on the field more often. Might come out to similar numbers but just spread out over more games in a season.

Since drafted in 2013, Reed has played in 52 games (started 27) and never played 16 games in 1 season nor ever had more than 8 starts. 6 fumbles is pretty high, too. He's averaged 10.3 yds a catch & 1 TD for every 12 catches.
Compared to Davis in those same years; 62 games (54 starts) and has played in every game since coming to Washington with 2 fumbles since 2013 (9 career). Averaged 13.5 yds a catch & a TD on every 10th reception.

Reed can play with the best of them when he plays and has far greater upside for the Skins (although Sprinkle is an unknown presently) but has he been really that much more productive overall? Not saying Davis should supplant Reed as the #1 TE (I guess by default he is right now) but maybe the Skins could do just as well, or better, overall with a TE that's less of a game breaker but is on the field more often. Might come out to similar numbers but just spread out over more games in a season.

I think we overstate Reeds frailty. In the last 3 full seasons, he's averaged 13 games. Sure - I wish he were more durable. But most of his time missed has been due to concussions. There's zero a player can do in that scenario other than wait to be cleared by the team doctors and neurologist. He's been a big part of the Redskins offense, maybe the BIGGEST contributor for 3 straight seasons. It remains to be seen how his durability holds up in 2017, but he's only missed one game so far.

I don't put much stock in 'games started'.

Biggest issue with Reed right now isn't durability - it's the same issue as all of the Redskins offensive skill players (except for Davis and Thompson to an extent) - it's production. Reed has shown signs of returning to 2016 form in the past couple of games. We'll see if he can get back to what he's been the past several seasons. A reasonably healthy OL would certainly help in that regard.

Btw - Rob Gronkowski has averaged less than 13 games played during those same 3 seasons. Only top TEs who've shown real durability not missing any games during that stretch have been Travis Kelce and Coby Fleener.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.