• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Skins Quotes 10/29/17: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

On injuries:
“Jordan Reed, hamstring; Shawn Lauvao, stinger; Niles Paul, concussion; Matt Ioannidis fractured his hand; Stefan McClure, hamstring; T.J. Clemmings, ankle; [Bashaud] Breeland missed the game. He got a little more injured on Friday at practice and couldn't go today at pregame warmup.”

On if DL Matt Ioannadis will play in future games after today's hand injury:
“I hope so. We'll have to wait and see. I don't know. We'll try it. I'm sure if he can, he will.”

On if he feels like the season is getting away:
“Well, we're 3-4. We do have a lot of injuries, especially offensively, but we just have to step up. That's just part of the game. Six of your top seven – or seven of your top eight – offensive linemen not playing makes it a little more difficult and then two of your three tight ends, but we've got to go to Seattle. We've got to recover. We're 3-4. There's still a lot of ball left to play. Seattle's in the playoff hunt, Minnesota's in the playoff hunt, and New Orleans in the playoff hunt. Tough three games in front of us but if we take care of business, we can be right back in it.”

On the turnovers:
“Yeah, we had the blocked field goal which was very costly, obviously. We could have gone up by nine. Instead, they got the ball at our one-yard line. That was a big one. I don't know if it was low snap, hold was a little… low kick. We'll have to take a look at it. Usually those three guys, those guys are pretty solid with their hold and snap, so maybe it was just a low kick. I don't know. The interception at the end was just trying to make a play. I don't remember the other ones. Oh, Chris Thompson's fumble. Yeah. That was uncharacteristic of him. Just a good hit by their player.”

On the challenges as play caller with multiple injuries today:
“It's a challenge, plus your list has shrunk about a quarter because we had a lot of two-tight-end, three-tight-end sets ready for this game and we lost both of those pretty early – at least Niles [Paul] early in the game. It was a challenge, but we have enough plays that we can adjust and hopefully function, which we cut it to seven and had a chance there with the ball but couldn't get it done. Couldn't get it back in time.”

On how the injuries to TEs Jordan Reed and Niles Paul affected the play calls:
“We were limited to one group and had to add some more groups in case something happened to Vernon [Davis]. We had to talk about our four-receiver sets and our three-receiver sets with two backs and had to coach those up in the locker room. We had to do some work, but we still had our normal package, one of them.”

On how the blocked field goal altered his plans for the rest of the game:
“I don't know. It was right before half and they got the lead 14-13. We had the ball coming out to start the second half. [We] didn't get much done. There are a lot of plays that altered the course of the ballgame. I think that was one of the main ones and some of the big plays that they made defensively. Hats off to [Defensive Coordinator] Coach [Rod] Marinelli, he did a great job with the secondary and his four-man rushes. Good job by [Offensive Coordinator] Coach [Scott] Linehan.”

On addressing adjustments throughout the game:
“The work is pretty much put in. We're just trying to adjust to pick the personnel we have available, the offensive line we have available. So that's how we're trying to adjust based on the play calling. Coach up a guy who just got out of his car yesterday, I think, and he's playing 50 snaps. And obviously [OL Tyler] Catalina's never played left tackle. He played left tackle today and a lot of right guard. We mainly had to coach our guys up on what to do.”

On if he would change the run-pass ratio:
“At the end, when you look at the stats, yeah. But I don't think, I think in the third quarter, I don't know if we had the ball at all. I think we were playing catch up there in the fourth quarter the whole time and not to mention our two-tight-end, three-tight-end sets were out. At the end of the day, you can see a successful Redskins game when you look at the run-pass ratio. If it was lopsided like it was today, you probably look at a loss and very few times will we win those games. We need to be balanced to be successful. So, yes, I wish I had that back.”

On how the defense played:
“I thought they did some good things, without a doubt. Most disappointing thing was at the end there, we had a chance there. We cut it to seven and couldn't get them off the field, so we burned all three of our timeouts and only had [54] seconds left on a short field. But other than that, they played good. We had some tough situations to be in. They had first-and-goal, we fumbled a kickoff, sudden changes out the gazoo for them and they reacted and responded and did some good things.”

On the injuries on the offensive line:
“It is mind boggling. I just hope these guys get well. These guys lay it all on the line for it, they practice hard, they have been doing it all right with their bodies, with the weight room, they get themselves ready to play, it's just one after another, two tight ends go down in the same half for games – it's crazy. I just want these guys to get well. That all I care about. If we can get those guys dressed up, play and compete.”

On T T.J. Clemmings' injury:
“It was deflating but T.J. played his butt off today. You know, he hasn't been here very long. He had to learn our entire system. He played some football in Minnesota, but this is a little different, the man competed. He played pretty well today, he fit in, he probably gave up a sack, probably could have applied pressure, he might've wanted to take some plays back but I think he played pretty well. It's unfortunate it was another ankle injury. I just feel bad for him because they were playing their butts off. I just want him to get well.”

On G Brandon Scherff and T Trent Williams:
“He [Scherff] had tried everything, he tried to brace it up, he tried to put some crazy tape job on it but he could not run. He would not have been effective today. We have to get his strength back a little bit more, build him up a little bit more where he does not have to wear huge tape jobs, where he can't even move. Hopefully he makes it back for Seattle, but we'll see how he'll do. Trent's status is lingering bone bruises type of thing with his knee. He has some issue with a lot of pain, he doesn't feel like himself. He is trying to get himself right but he can't practice, he needs to practice to feel alike. The pain is too much for him. We'll try to get that to calm down.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On if he would change the run-pass ratio:
“At the end, when you look at the stats, yeah. But I don't think, I think in the third quarter, I don't know if we had the ball at all.

Ummm...Skins won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half (which starts with the 3rd quarter). Perhaps Jay assumed it was fumbled away.
It was the only quarter they didn't score in though.

Last edited:
Gruden continued bringing back Mack Brown and Niles Paul to the roster the past 2 years and yet neither player has produced much if anything on the field.

During 2017 we have need a running back to step up with the injuries to Kelly and Brown got very few if any meaningful carriers before he was cut.

Reed and Davis have failed to be effective contributors blocking in the run game and there goes Paul out injured again.

Like Reed he seems to have a 'glass' jaw.

But more importantly, with Reed and Davis struggling in the run game, how come we have not seen more of Paul in the rotation?

I still don't get how a former wide receiver with size can't run routes and get open against linebackers and safeties.

So, in theory Paul should be able to get on the field as a blocker but also a pass threat the defense has to honor.

But in reality, Paul sees limited action and never on critical downs. He never catches any passes.

So, again, why was it so important to include him on the roster?

He's 27 and making what, $1.5M?

That's a lot to pay a guy to basically run down field and cover kicks on 5-10 plays per game.

Bulldog; While I agree with your comments on Paul, I'd have to say that was a pretty substantial hit he took. I think a lot of guys would have sustained a concussion there. On the other hand, I was kinda worried when I saw him line up in the backfield, thought it might have been more of a diversion. He's got fullback size (6'1"/242#) but he's no Darrel Young for sure.

Paul came out of college at 224 lbs., he was converted to TE and weighs 242 lbs. He was a 4.46 guy out of school. Why would anyone expect him to be a burner now? Oy vey.

Burner?

No, but at 27 I would think he still has enough athleticism to run routes on 250 pound linebackers and smaller strong safeties when needed to be an outlet for Kirk.

You don't pay blocking tight ends $1.5-2M a year if they can't catch the ball well enough to be a credible option as a check down at least.

As Cooley has said unless we go out and get a SUPERIOR back like Bell or Elliott we have to find a solution at TE where the blocks get made on the outside so the running game has a chance.

We had the same issues last year.

We should have gone out and signed a blocking TE in veteran free agency to backup Reed and Davis and then gone ahead and taken Sprinkle to develop.

But we couldn't do that because Gruden was married to Paul.

Anyone else wondering if Quick or Harris could give us more than Grant at WR?

Unfortunately, it looks like we will never know unless Grant gets hurt.

Gruden is going with these four guys regardless of HOW unproductive they are.

Notice that the great route runner Grant has now twice ran a shallow route on key third downs to prevent us from moving the sticks?

I know what Gruden has said about Paul, Grant, Brown and several others of his favorites- now I would like to see them DO IT on the field consistently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.