• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/13/17: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

October 13, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
“Out will be Josh Norman, rib; Ty Nsekhe, core muscle. Doubtful is Rob Kelley, ankle; [Deshazor] Everett, hamstring. Questionable will be Trent Williams, knee.”
On T Trent Williams' status at practice today:
“Yeah, he did a little bit today… drank some water [laughing]… Yeah, he didn't do much today, no. He just did a couple walkthrough reps.”

On evaluating Williams:
“I think I've seen enough of Trent to know that if he can go, he can go. You know, he's pretty good. We'll leave it up to him and the medical team come tomorrow and Sunday morning.”

On if RB Rob Kelley practiced today:
“No.”

On Kelley's status:
“He did some stuff with the trainers, ran around a lot better, but doubtful – he'll be a long shot.”

On knowing Williams can play effectively even without practicing:
“Yeah, I mean, have you seen Trent play? [Laughing] I have the trust and confidence that if Trent says he can go, he'll be fine. So he's played enough football here, he knows our system, he's very smart, obviously very athletic. But at the end of the day, it's sore. If it is sore, too sore for him to be effective, then we'll make that determination. That'll be on him and the trainer, like I said. But if he feels like he can give it a valiant effort, I believe he'll be effective.”

On TE Jordan Reed:
“Well, we have the luxury of having three pretty good tight ends. So we'll still mix and match the tight end situation, whether were in one-back or one-tight end sets, two-tight end sets, we're in three-tight end sets, odds are he'll be in there obviously. I think we'll mix up our one-tight end sets with him and Vernon [Davis] like we always do and we'll monitor Jordan as we go. But every indication that I have is that he's good to go; he's fine.”

On trusting Williams:
“Well, I trust him because I've been around him now – this is my fourth year – and he has given me no reason not to. He is such a good athlete that even if he was a little bit sore or not quite 100 percent he is still probably more effective than the majority of tackles in the league. Like I said, the big thing for him is pain tolerance and how much more sore it will get if he plays on it and bangs it again, will it affect him for the whole season? So that's some things we have to take into account, but I still feel pretty good about when Larry [Hess] talks to me and tells me about the risks obviously, and Trent tells me how sore he is and how effective he will be. I think a lot will be determined on Sunday pregame before we have to put the list in there, how he does with some warmup stuff.”

On if the plan with Williams could have been different if T Ty Nsekhe was healthy:
“It could, yeah. Obviously with Nsekhe being out, the depth at tackle has been obviously jeopardized. We are short there right now, so hopefully we will get Trent up, but if not, T.J. [Clemmings] will do a good job and obviously [Tyler] Catalina will be the backup or [Brandon] Scherff or however we do it.”

On Williams' availability affecting play calling because of all he is able to do:
“Yeah, that's a good point. But the good thing about T.J. [Clemmings] is he's played a lot of football. He started I think 31 games in Minnesota and he's come in here and done a really good job. Like I said the other day, I think with Trent being down we've got an opportunity to really see T.J. with the ones, against the ones and really coach him up. Coach [Bill] Callahan's done a good job of getting him up to speed with our terminology and the plays that we're running and the techniques that we like to use and coach with. I think that'll be a process throughout the game – how he's doing and all that stuff that it could affect – but hopefully it won't.”

On how helpful full-contact practices are:
“I think there is a point in a person's career where maybe it isn't quite as necessary, but for the young players – the developmental guys, the practice squad guys – they need contact from time to time otherwise we have no way to judge them, how good they are. Fundamentals in pro football really rely on contact, pad level, getting off blocks, all that stuff and you can't gauge that. It's almost like we'd have to be, ‘Well, I think he'll be good at it but we don't know.' In full contact, that's the only way for us to see how they react to pads and tackling and all that stuff. It is tough. You hate losing guys in practice unnecessarily because it is practice, but you also need it for the development of people and also for the fundamentals of pro football.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't really think the 9ers are going to take a chance of hurting their QB for next year? :wall:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.