• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hello from the UK

Trago

Camp Fodder
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
Hi everyone.

A quick introduction of myself. I have had the good fortune to follow the Washington Redskins since 1982 when America Football was introduced to the tv audience in the UK. I really didn't have a clue about the teams so chose the Redskins based on the colour of the jersey. You call it burgundy, I call it maroon. The colour was important because it is the colour of the Football (soccer) team I follow, Heart of Midlothian from Edinburgh.
I was lucky enough to enjoy the glory years and the SB wins, however it's not always been rosy in the garden. We have all seen some pretty poor years since, but in my opinion, this will make the success all the sweeter when it arrives in the very near future.
My favourite player is Joe Thiesman, and I must say I was absolutely gutted when my number 7 jersey finally had to be laid to rest as it was falling apart. It was very old, so I guess it was only fair. Shaun Taylor is another that when I watch old videos of him, I just think what a bloody waste. He would have been one of the greatest to have ever played the game. Players that excite me currently are Norman, Scherff, Kerrigan and Fat Rob.

I really don't like the cowgirls and delight in telling this to any that I meet over here. In fact I'm off to watch the Rams and Cardinals in a couple of weeks in London and one of the guys going is a cowgirl, so he will be getting it tight all night.

HTTR
FTH

Hi Trago!

Welcome to the boards from another Englishman! :D
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm in the Midlands, Bromsgrove. I'm assuming up in Scotland from your Footy allegiance.

Sounds like your intro to the sport was the same as mine. I think you predate me by a year. Superbowl XVIII was my first game and I picked the skins due to the uniform colour too. Red's always been my fave colour.
Ah I miss the glory years, but hopefully we're on the verge of a new era.... fingers crossed.

Did you see the Skins at Wembley last year? I went and it was awesome, I'm bittersweet on the draw, at least it wasn't a loss for what may be the only time I get to see them live and in the flesh (though I haven't ruled out going to Fedex or it's successor just yet!)

One of my best buds is a Cowboys fan, so I'm actually pretty well disposed towards them, but LOVE it when we whup them (and I'm secretly enjoying their poor start to the season this year!) and my wife is a Packers fan so at this point I know almost as much about them as I know about the Skins. LOL

Anyhow, welcome to the boards and make sure you join us in the chat room for the game on Sunday! (Get the BGO Messenger App!)

HTTR

Welcome aboard, Trago. Did you know in Spanish that means drink--as in, adult beverage? :)

Props to you for sticking with this team during the many lean years ... it would have been quite easy/understandable, separated by an ocean and all, to have perhaps let your covetous eye wander. God know there are a lot more "lifelong" Patriots fans these days than there were about 15 years ago. You are among fellow long-time loyalists here, some of us old enough to have truly lived the glory years, others who to their credit came along afterwards but remain true.

Anyway, glad you found us and here's to enjoying the ride.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.

Just so you know...

Boone provides the evening meals.
Fear The Spear has the welcome packets.
Ax provides the entertainment and humbles you with sarcasm.
Elephant will provide portraits of your experience.
Neophyte provides the beverages.
Serv will give you timely updates when needed.
LoyalSkinsFan will provide a professional video of your experiences here.
TomE provides the music.
JohnsBass brings us forum building improvement tips.
DieselPwr44 is our transportation manager.
Win4us is our hunting and fishing guide for such trips.
Stevenaa provides the security detail.
Goaldeje is the team psychologist - should you ever have a need.
Om gives morning lectures at no extra charge.
SilentThreat is your bartender and designated driver - if needed.
SkinnedAussie gives you a sturdy firewall to keep out the nasties.
McD5 provides financial advice - should you have a need.
Miles Monroe has the morning doughnuts and coffee.
Henry will give you the critical analysis as needed.
Knightingale manages our International Relations office.
Snydershrugged is our career employment counselor, should you ever need it.
CounterTrey gives you insightful commentary on the team and will provide you with the necessary tools for a successful tailgating experience.
China gives arcade lessons almost never.
DixieFlatline is the hospitality coordinator.
Special K has aerobics classes three days a week and periodic advice for continuing students.
Shi No Tenshi helps you to live out your fantasy - eh, fantasy football.
Docsandy provides the snacks and dessert.
Chris provides you with vital information for a business startup if you are interested.
I provide weather updates.
Kirk Cousins does everything for us - no other explanation needed.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I think you'll find that this place quickly becomes part of what you do each day.

Welcome. We have several here from the UK. Drumlinboy is on here, but doesn't post a lot.

Greetings from across the pond brother!

We are always glad to welcome a fellow fan. This is a wonderful community and I get the feeling you will fit right in. Please let us know if you have questions or need any help of any kind as you get used to your new digs.

As several have mentioned, one of the most enjoyable aspects of BGO are our Game Day Chats. You can access the chatrooms from a laptop, tablet, or even phone. If you plan on joining us via tablet or phone, you'll want to download the free BGO Messenger app available in the iTunes or Google Play Store (depending on your device).

Cheers and again, welcome! :cheers:

Hi Trago!

Welcome to the boards from another Englishman! :D
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm in the Midlands, Bromsgrove. I'm assuming up in Scotland from your Footy allegiance.

Sounds like your intro to the sport was the same as mine. I think you predate me by a year. Superbowl XVIII was my first game and I picked the skins due to the uniform colour too. Red's always been my fave colour.
Ah I miss the glory years, but hopefully we're on the verge of a new era.... fingers crossed.

Did you see the Skins at Wembley last year? I went and it was awesome, I'm bittersweet on the draw, at least it wasn't a loss for what may be the only time I get to see them live and in the flesh (though I haven't ruled out going to Fedex or it's successor just yet!)

One of my best buds is a Cowboys fan, so I'm actually pretty well disposed towards them, but LOVE it when we whup them (and I'm secretly enjoying their poor start to the season this year!) and my wife is a Packers fan so at this point I know almost as much about them as I know about the Skins. LOL

Anyhow, welcome to the boards and make sure you join us in the chat room for the game on Sunday! (Get the BGO Messenger App!)

HTTR

Hi Knightingale,

I moved from Edinburgh to the midlands just over 20 years ago. I'm based in Castle Donington (next to East Midlands airport) although I'm currently trying to sell and move to Cornwall.

Yeah I was at Wembley for the skins game (I usually go to all the London games, although only 2 this year). I loved seeing them in the flesh but seeing them in the US is top of the bucket list.
Thanks for the tip on the BGO messenger, I've downloaded it and will use it when ever possible.

Welcome aboard, Trago. Did you know in Spanish that means drink--as in, adult beverage? :)

Props to you for sticking with this team during the many lean years ... it would have been quite easy/understandable, separated by an ocean and all, to have perhaps let your covetous eye wander. God know there are a lot more "lifelong" Patriots fans these days than there were about 15 years ago. You are among fellow long-time loyalists here, some of us old enough to have truly lived the glory years, others who to their credit came along afterwards but remain true.

Anyway, glad you found us and here's to enjoying the ride.

I didn't know that about trago, everyday is a school day. I'm old school, in that once the team chooses you or you choose them, that's it for the good times and the bad.

Just so you know...

TomE provides the music.
CounterTrey gives you insightful commentary on the team and will provide you with the necessary tools for a successful tailgating experience.
Special K has aerobics classes three days a week and periodic advice for continuing students.
Chris provides you with vital information for a business startup if you are interested.

LOL, very comprehensive list. Hopefully I make it on one day í ½í¸‚

Welcome. We have several here from the UK. Drumlinboy is on here, but doesn't post a lot.

We have a big following in the UK so it doesn't surprise me there are a few on here. Thanks for the welcome.

We are always glad to welcome a fellow fan. This is a wonderful community and I get the feeling you will fit right in. Please let us know if you have questions or need any help of any kind as you get used to your new digs.

As several have mentioned, one of the most enjoyable aspects of BGO are our Game Day Chats. You can access the chatrooms from a laptop, tablet, or even phone. If you plan on joining us via tablet or phone, you'll want to download the free BGO Messenger app available in the iTunes or Google Play Store (depending on your device).

Thanks for the welcome. In your opinion, what are the areas I need to checking first on a daily basis. I've got the BGO messenger, so looking forward to giving that a go.

Thanks for the welcome. In your opinion, what are the areas I need to checking first on a daily basis. I've got the BGO messenger, so looking forward to giving that a go.

Welcome, sir !
If I refer to an Englishman as "sir", is that like calling him a "saint" ?

LOL, not sure about that. However, I do know that if you refer to a Scotsman as an Englishmen, he may find it offensive í ½í¸‚
Only joking, my wife is english and I have lived and worked here for over 20 years, so I love the English.

Not too far away then at all. :D

Seeing the Skins in Washington is also on my bucket list. I'm planning to do it for my 50th in a few years time and hoping maybe a bunch of these BGO Obsession reprobates may want to join me for the festivities. :D That would be awesome. Just seeing them at Wembley was a buzz though.

And if you were there too, then I'm sorry about the draw. That's my fault. LOL I've only been to see the NFL at Wembley twice, last year and the American Bowl when the Cowboys played the Lions way back when (I forget the year!)... the common theme was that those were the only games on UK soil to end in a tied game and I saw both of them. So you can blame the curse of me for that one.

I agree with you about the old school way of picking and sticking. My brother used to flit. He started out a Bears fan, then was a Broncos fan (till SBXXII), then a 49ers fan, then a Jets fan. He settled on Tampa Bay about a decade ago when he started to take it seriously. We catch up every week post the games to discuss the weekend and how our teams have both been appalling lately, though even he admitted last week that the Skins are looking solid this year. Here's hoping.

I think there's alot of Skins fans in the UK simply due to the fact that they were a dominant team in the 90's when the sport was on the rise here. I was surprised by how many Skins fans there were at the game last year.

As for the forums....

The 'Random Redskins Thoughts' thread is always busy. Burgundy's Burning Questions is great every week. There the Kirk Cousins Development thread... Blognostications is always fun. Argh! So many threads. I usually log in and first look at the New Forum Posts and New Forum Threads windows on the top right of the page to see what's going on, and then pop into the forums themselves. Always alot going on here and nobody is afraid to have their own opinions on things and debate with you which is really nice.

The game chats are great and for me have REALLY enhanced the way I watch a game. It's gone from being a solitary experience (albeit with my Packers fan wife) to actually having a group to discuss things with as the game goes on. You'll love it. :D Just make sure you're phone is well charged because it'll be on all game! :D

I didn't know that about trago, everyday is a school day. I'm old school, in that once the team chooses you or you choose them, that's it for the good times and the bad.

Welcome Trago... glad to have you. Definitely join us for game chats... we're like a family here. I guess you could call me an "old timer"... I was lucky enough to live and see the Redskins during their glory days of 3 SuperBowls with Gibbs. Shoot I went to games with my Dad at RFK stadium. He often talked about being at the infamous "Pearl Harbor Game" at Griffith stadium when the Redskins were hosting the Eagles while Pearl Harbor was being bombed.

I grew up in the D.C. area, but now live in West Virginia. I don't know what I'd do without the game chats, especially those games we don't get locally on television.. I'm in Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Cincinnati country to those games will come first as far as television goes.

Welcome and look forward to seeing you this Sunday when we play the 49ers.

Just so you know...

TomE provides the music.

Trago.. I just hang around for the heck of it <grin>

@Trago - one recommendation I make to all members - always start out a visit to BGO on our Home page. That's where we highlight new content, make announcements, and where you have access to all of our features.

Remember that our 'BGO Messenger' app allows you to join our game chats with just a phone or tablet, but you can also do it from any computer but clicking on the 'Chat Now' bar at the bottom of the screen and selecting the 'Chatrooms' icon. We'll be in the Fed Ex Field Chatroom every single game.

Oh - and don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.