• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random NFC East Thoughts

Sounds like the Jason Garrett era in Dallas is about to end. Dallas blowing it up and starting over too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May the Giants hits Garrett

Being reported that Dallas is going to hire Mike McCarthy as their next Head Coach. Sadly, I think that makes them a better team immediately.

I'm totally undecided on McCarthy. There are some who think he's an average HC who benefited from having a superior QB. There are others who think he's a very good HC. His teams were 125-77-2 during his Green Bay tenure. Went 10-8 in the playoffs. Those are pretty impressive #'s and I think regardless of the talent he had and the QB, that's pretty good in a division that includs the Vikings, Bears, and Lions.

But Jerry Jones has had a hard time keeping his fingers out of the cake batter. I don't see McCarthy doing well with that. And while Jason Garrett gets all the blame, I think the Cowboys issues currently have a lot to do with players being overrated and the team overhyped.

Being reported that Dallas is going to hire Mike McCarthy as their next Head Coach. Sadly, I think that makes them a better team immediately.

Depends who's coaching their defense. McCarthy has had an elite QB under center his entire head coaching career. I think he leaned on that too much. If you look at his defenses, more often than not they were average to bad. Same with his running game. Favre and Rodgers covered a LOT of holes on McCarthy's teams.

As magical as Dak Prescott is, I don't know that he's THAT good.

But McCarthy would be a step up from Garrett I guess, so there's that.

I'm totally undecided on McCarthy. There are some who think he's an average HC who benefited from having a superior QB. There are others who think he's a very good HC. His teams were 125-77-2 during his Green Bay tenure. Went 10-8 in the playoffs. Those are pretty impressive #'s and I think regardless of the talent he had and the QB, that's pretty good in a division that includs the Vikings, Bears, and Lions.

But Jerry Jones has had a hard time keeping his fingers out of the cake batter. I don't see McCarthy doing well with that. And while Jason Garrett gets all the blame, I think the Cowboys issues currently have a lot to do with players being overrated and the team overhyped.

Depends who's coaching their defense. McCarthy has had an elite QB under center his entire head coaching career. I think he leaned on that too much. If you look at his defenses, more often than not they were average to bad. Same with his running game. Favre and Rodgers covered a LOT of holes on McCarthy's teams.

As magical as Dak Prescott is, I don't know that he's THAT good.

But McCarthy would be a step up from Garrett I guess, so there's that.

I actually agree with both of you. I think there are more than a few questions about McCarthy and I think a lot will depend on who his defensive coaches are.

What I was driving at - and doing a poor job of it - is that McCarthy is a step up from Garrett, at least in my view. Living here, I see all the stuff. In my view, Garrett has always been a nice guy and a player's coach, but not a guy who is going to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and wring the very best out of them every single Sunday. Honestly not sure if McCarthy is that kind of guy either but he has enjoyed a lot more success in the NFL than Garrett has had, even if it comes with an asterisk over having had an elite QB while he was there.

I feel the same about the hype. I have heard multiple Cowboys fans proclaim Dak is the next Peyton, Brees or Brady. I always laugh, because his play doesn't support that. I don't know how he finished the season in this obscure stat, but I remember at one point he was averaging around 105 yards and half a TD per game in garbage time. He's a stat padder who can't get it done. And his numbers aren't even overly impressive. He's like a watered down version of Tony Romo. Yet there still continues to be talk that he's pushing for a contract in the $35-$40 mil/yr range. If Jerry gives him that, he needs an immediate mental health assessment.

Makes ya wonder if fans of our NFC East foes laughed every time Manusky was retained.

So glad Del Taco is on the defense, the last time we were even close to relevant was when Greg Williams was on board. Not ready to ride yet, but damn sure will be relevant again on defense

Hopefully wade Phillips departure doesn't put him back lil d or NYG.

How can we make this happen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.