• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This defense is for real, and has officially turned the corner. But how ?

What's the biggest reason for the defensive turnaround ?

• Manusky

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Tomsula

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • T-Gray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Talent upgrade through FA and draft

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (do not choose this option to say "Combination of Factors". That answer not allowed)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
3 weeks in a row, this defense has put up outstanding performances against 3 of the best teams in the league.
Heck maybe you could go back all 4 games, and include Philly, and say it was a decent performance against a top offense.
But one thing is clear : It's no fluke. The defense is an upper echelon crew now.
Even when decimated by countless, major defensive injuries, this team quite nearly pulled off yet another upset - against the best team in the league, in a hostile stadium, and on prime-time.

Question is, what do you mostly attribute the huge jump to ?
Manusky, Tomsula, T-Gray, or talent upgrades through FA and draft ?
It's easy to say a combination of the above, but what's been the biggest ?
It's also easy to say Manusky, but in reality, he's consistently been an average DC, in all 3 of his prior DC stints at SF, SD, and Indy. Did he really find some kind of "Awakening" as a coach ?
And where's Ryman ?
Ryman loves to talk about defense.

Ryman likes to bitch about the defense. There's your answer to that.

Ryman likes to bitch about the defense. There's your answer to that.

It does really seem like the only time we see our buddy Ry, is only when things are going bad :D
Anyhow, I don't want this to sound like a call-out thread - because that was not my intention at all. Because I love me some Ryman, no matter what kind of mood he's in.

Last edited:
I'm voting Other to say Jay Gruden. If he doesn't swallow his pride enough to jettison his bad hire, and promote Manusky, and hire Tomsula...we're stuck in Haslettville again.

He's the head coach, who is supposed to be making those decisions. As he gets the blame, he gets the credit.

I give the credit to Manusky. The defense is a reflection of his personality. The defensive players appear to have bought into his concepts.

If I had to choose one thing right now, I'd have to say Manusky. I think scheme and talent additions may have helped, but one of the biggest differences I see is our tackling and I think that comes from attitude instilled by the coach.

We're an OK defense.

Whenever someone out at Redskins Park figures out how to cover a TE,then we'll be good.

As far as what's played a part in improvement:

Matt Ioannidis taking a big step forward and Jonathan Allen being the real deal, helped out a whole lot.

Zach Brown and his speed covers everything else up in the front seven.

None of the above.

It's many factors, not one.

And we're not a great defense. We're good.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Josh Norman is the driving force behind the defense. Manusky sees that and utilizes Norman to his fullest potential. Norman won't make a lot of interceptions because teams actively avoid throwing in his direction. He makes up for it with punch outs and the occasional big hit. Knowing that, teams try to avoid his part of the field at all costs. That allows the rest of the D to focus on the other parts of the field.

Zach Brown is insanely valuable to the defense as well. His speed is something we haven't had at LB and he's saved a few big plays by hawking down the ball carrier.

Don't discount the edge rush from Kerrigan.

The biggest DIFFERENCE in the defense this season, though, has been an interior rush. Kerrigan/Smith/whoever can get all the outside pressure they want. It doesn't matter if the QB can step up into a clean pocket.

Tomsula and Manusky utilize stunts and movement extremely well. Our talent does a good job getting push.

But a lot of what this defense does falls to the wayside if Norman isn't on the field. He is THAT important. The good news is, though, that even without Josh we still have a decent D on our hands. But it goes from that good range to decent quick. That's what a shut down corner can do for you. And that's what our talent dictates at the moment.

We had the Chiefs shut out before Norman got hurt...and they scored 23 after he went out.
Nobody in their right mind thought retaining Hastits or hiring Manilow Barry was a good idea...most of us were aghast. I don't know if Manusky is anything special - his past suggests he is average - but even average is leaps and bounds above the clown show we have been subjected to in the post-Blache era.
For all Fewell's NFL experience, he was awful and left his players lost in the field.
Tomsula has accomplished something I haven't seen the Skins do since Gibbs/Petitbon era - provide pressure from a 4 man front. I was getting quite down on Scott McC's drafts, but suddenly Ionnadis and Spaight look like ballers with competent coaching and schemes. Preston Smith is getting sacks again (so far). I will be watching Fuller's development now that he is healthier and being coached by Gray.

Remember how a lot of people wanted Gus Bradley ?

Bradley's defense is currently ranked 24th.
Manusky's is ranked 9th.

And Wade Phillips' is ranked 20th

Based on YPG average.

Last edited:
The Redskins 2016 draft has largely been a bust in terms of contributions on the field.

The difference on defense in 2017 is that the unit is now being managed by a better coordinator first and foremost. And we now have quality DL and secondary coaches.

On the field, the 2017 draft and free agent moves paid off.

Jonathan Allen is starting. Montae Nicholson is starting.

Fabian Moreau is contributing on special teams and now is going to be in the dime packages with Norman on the injured list.

On the free agent side, Zach Brown has upgraded the team's speed at linebacker noticeably. And unlike Will Compton, he is a good open field tackler.

DJ Swearinger, whom Arizona shouldn't have let go, is now a defensive captain at a position we have always had trouble filling with competent personnel.

McClain and McGhee, while I think both were overpaid, have helped against the run on early downs.

There is also no question that whatever Ziggy Hood did to Matt Ioannidis in the weight room in the offseason in terms of training regime, he should set up a gym after retiring because the line of NFL players wanting to improve will be VERY long.

Matt now looks like a second round pick instead of a former fifth round pick that was cut and on the street last September.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.