• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Can the Redskins play a 3-4 defense?

Spence

The Rookie
Reaction score
So, now we know the Redskins defense will be coached by Jim Haslett, who has been a successful defensive coordinator and a occasionally-successful head coach in the NFL. There has been talk that head coach Mike Shanahan wants to run a 3-4 defense in Washington and Haslett played in and coached a 3-4 defense for many years. However, he's also coached the 4-3 defense and either is possible next season. The Redskins could also play a hybrid defense, switching between 4-3 and 3-4 depending on matchups and game situations.
Read it.

I don't believe this defense can play a 3-4 without a complete overhaul. Haynesworth is NOT a Nose Tackle. Andre Carter is NOT a OLB and, as athletic as London Fletcher is, he can't be expected to take on Guards as one of the MLB's. Perhaps the only way to plug some of those holes would be via FA during an uncapped year. If there were a salary cap this year, we'd be screwed.

As far as a hybrid defense goes, that might make more sense, given our personnel. I'm not holding my breath, though.

I don't see why not, if we do a one-gap system a la the San Diego Chargers. If we go two-gap, we better find someone other than Haynesworth as he'll likely be disgruntled...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.