• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Blog: Schlereth Offers Sneak Peek at Shanahan's Offense

Lanky Livingston

As a 6-3, 287-pound offensive guard, Mark Schlereth won Super Bowl championships with both the Redskins and Denver Broncos in his 12-year career.

In Denver, Schlereth played for Mike Shanahan, who was named Redskins executive vice president/head coach last week.

Certainly, Schlereth is well-versed in Shanahan as a coach and an offensive innovator. His offenses have been among the most dynamic in the history of the National Football League.

Schlereth, now an ESPN analyst, was asked about Shanahan during “Mike & Mike In the Morning” on ESPN Radio on Thursday. The show was broadcast on ESPN 980 in Washington, D.C.

Schlereth said that Shanahan would install his version of the West Coast offense in Washington. His scheme is unique in that it focuses on a strong ground game, Schlereth said.

“One thing we know for sure with Mike Shanahan is that this offense will be a run-it-first offense,” he said. “They’re going to run that west coast system but it’s going to be a west coast system predicated on running the ball first. That takes pressure off the quarterback.”

The Redskins’ quarterback for now is Jason Campbell.

Schlereth said he expected Shanahan to conduct a thorough evaluation of Campbell this ofseason.

“He’ll review every snap,” Schlereth said.

Click link for the rest of the article.

I think what I am most excited about is new coaches. Spending the money on top coaches is way more worth it than on players. Guys like Bobby April, coaches that are considered among the best in their field, will have a much bigger impact on the on-field product that the most talented players. IMHO.

I think what I am most excited about is new coaches. Spending the money on top coaches is way more worth it than on players. Guys like Bobby April, coaches that are considered among the best in their field, will have a much bigger impact on the on-field product that the most talented players. IMHO.

Agreed. Remember when Joe Gibbs was hired boy JKC he was asked what he needed to succeed. Gibbs told Cooke he needs the best assistant coaches available and pay them well. Cooke said no problem.

Rest is history. We won three Super Bowls and didn't always have the best talent, but we were best coached.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.