• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Post-Game vs. Eagles 9/10/17: Redskins Players

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On the replay review of the fumble:
“I don't have a whole lot to say just because I haven't seen it yet – except for on the Jumbotron. We'd like to think that we had a chance there to get the ball back, but I always expect when the play is allowed to be reviewed and they can go over it again that they're going to make the right call and you saw their decision. Tough one, but there are so many other plays in the game that lead to that moment that I really think are more important and more telling of why it didn't go our way at the end.”

On the drops by the receivers:
“I'm sure it's a variety of reasons. I don't think it's any one thing on any particular play why there was a lack of a completion. I would start by saying I can be more accurate. I think there were plenty of throws where the pocket was clean and the ball can be more on the mark and I can always make it easier on those guys. So, that's where I'll watch the film and feel like I can get better.”

On the team being ready for the opener:
“I think we did all we could to be ready. Ryan [Kerrigan]'s play really gave us a spark and got us back into it quickly. We had a short lead there late in the second quarter. Obviously we didn't play well enough throughout the entire day to come out with a win. So, in that sense we weren't ready but, we did all we could to be ready and in the moment, the plays just weren't made.”

On the missed deep throw to WR Terrelle Pryor Sr. on the first play:
“I think he just couldn't find it. I don't know if it was he couldn't see where I was in the pocket when he looked back or he couldn't see where the ball was. What I saw is what you saw. I don't know if it was anything other than just he couldn't find it. It was a play that you would love to be able to connect on but, it didn't go in our favor.”

On throwing the interception in the red zone:
“There's a play there to be made to Jamison [Crowder] and that's the frustrating part. We can hit that, but I was trying to take Terrelle [Pryor Sr.] to a spot that I shouldn't be trying to take him. My eyes were in the wrong place and it leads to what you saw. It's disappointing. You've got to be able to make that play there. I think if we do, we probably get the first down to Jamison [Crowder], if not, he scores and it's a different ball game. Those are the plays you look at and say, ‘I've got to be better.'”

On the importance of winning the turnover battle to retain an edge in an evenly matched division:
“Turnover margin is always a statistic that's very telling, especially as the season goes on to see what kind of team you have. Typically, the better teams are the ones who protect the football and create takeaways. Teams that struggle are the ones who don't. It is a competitive division. [There are some] really good teams. It's going to be that way all year long. I fully expected the game to come down to the last two minutes in the fourth quarter, that's the way most of these games do. You expect that and embrace it. Just know that you need to be there and ready to make plays in those moments. Today, we didn't make enough.”

On the drive ending in the sack-fumble:
“There are so many times where I am decisively saying, ‘Oh, it's worked out this way.' Then I go back and look at it and say, ‘I'm completely wrong.' In the moment, what do I know? I'm just playing. But right away, I looked back the ref and went like this [motioning arm forward] and my arm's going forward. But, they have time to take a look at it and get it right. They made the call they made. So, I'm not going to lose sleep over that. It's the plays that led up to the moment and those are the ones that I want back.”

On the defensive pressure the offensive line faced throughout the game:
“Until I watch the film, I don't know. I think a couple of times I can make a protection call that will help them get the right alignment out there for players who are rushing me. A couple of times I didn't do that very well. They have a lot invested in the [Eagles'] defensive line, they expect those guys to get after the quarterback and they've always done a good job with that. Not that it caught us by surprise, but they have good players and won a fair amount of plays today and played tough.”

On the struggles of the running game:
“Our offense is always going to hum along at a much more efficient rate when we're running the ball well and we can keep the defenses unaware if it's going to be a run, pass, or a play action. If you can honor the run, then you can hopefully open up some windows in the pass game. would've loved to run the ball better, but there's also situations in the game too that you feel like you're throwing it well or you're getting third and long and not able to run it. But if you're third-and-one, you're going to get a lot more rushing attempts. So, sometimes it's just situations that determine the play calling. You get less attempts in practice with being able to run the ball.”

On his attempts and taking advantage of opportunities to run the ball:
“Yeah, some were more designed runs. Good play calls and good designs. Others were scrambles where the pocket broke down and I felt I had to get out. Again, sometimes you don't even know if I left too early and when I go back and watch the film and say, ‘Could I have stood in there and found a throw?' You never know until you watch it. It's good to make those plays from time to time and keep defenses honest and always weigh the risk with the reward when you're running around with the ball in your hand. You're always risking a fumble, so you've gotta be careful. I was able to make a few plays today with my legs and hopefully we can mix those in going forward.”

On his connection with WR Josh Doctson moving forward:
“Yeah, I think it's pretty fluid from week to week. Terrelle [Pryor Sr.] had a lot of catches today, but it could be Josh [Doctson] next week. You know, there are plays where you look back and say I could've easily thrown the ball to Josh and I checked it down to Chris Thompson because he flashed into my eyes quicker. So, I think Josh did a good job today and I'd like to get him involved and allow him to make more plays as we go. There are things I can do and we can do with protection give the time to find him and let him show what he can do.”

REDSKINS RB CHRIS THOMPSON

On his thoughts on the game:
“It sucks. And I know that we are a lot better team than what we put out there. This upcoming week, we've just got to get back in the building Tuesday, look at the film, see where we went wrong, and just get it fixed. I know, without a doubt, that we are a better team than that. We've just got to put the work in during the week and get some different results next week.”

On his touchdown:
“That's my job. I've got to make plays with the amount of snaps that I get. I've got to come in, I've got to make plays right away. It got us up, but by halftime we were down again. For me, I've got to come in in the second half and just make more plays.”

On if the Eagles were kicking away from him on kickoffs:
“I think that might have been the plan. It seemed that way. [CB Bashaud] Breeland got a lot of opportunities back there, me as well as all the other guys on the return team just got to block better for him.”

REDSKINS RB ROB KELLEY

On the team's performance:
“I don't know how, but there's some kind of way we've got to find a way to get better as a team. What gets the offense going, what plays get the offense going. That's not up to me, that's up to Coach [Jay] Gruden to decide. We've just got to work from there. It's not just play calling. We have to do a better job of executing when we do have one of our plays. It's not even play calling. It's just us, as a team, we've got to execute—especially in the run game. Ten guys do something right and one guy does something wrong, it messes up the play. It's just us being a team, clinging on to each other, knowing that we have each other's back, working together and executing.”

On if he felt under-utilized:
“I mean, when I wasn't in the game, Chris [Thompson] was in the game and he was doing a good bit too. It really doesn't matter.”
On his thoughts on the defense's performance:
“I think the defense played well, just got a few tough ones out there on third down. But for the most part, they played their butts off.”

REDSKINS TE VERNON DAVIS

On the key for the offense and the reason they couldn't get into a rhythm:
“I think we just came out a little flat. Couldn't really get anything going. It didn't go in our favor. We have to get into practice and correct some things, just continue to keep working hard. It's all we have to do. It's game one.”

On positive takeaways from today:
“Most positive thing is that these guys just kept working. Even though we had a little bit of adversity, we kept fighting, kept going out, trying to compete. I'm sure any coach in this locker room can accept the simple fact that guys are willing to hang in there, hang tough and keep working.”

On if the lack of offensive energy coming out surprised him:
“I can't really put my finger on it at the moment. I have to get back and analyze the film, see what I did wrong, and go from there. I can't really talk about other guys because that's not my job. My job is to stay positive, work hard, do everything that I can to help this team win games.”

REDSKINS DL TERRELL McCLAIN

On the overall performance of the defense:
“We did alright. You know, like anybody would say there are always things to get better at, but I think we took a step in the right direction, so that is what we have been fighting on – trying to stop the run and stuff so we've just got to go study film and get back next week.”

On losing at home to a division opponent in Week 1 and if it means more:
“No, with a division game, you never know can happen. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. So we just have to look at each week and go 1-0. Hopefully we can by the time we get back to them.”

On his thoughts on his first game in a Redskins' uniform:
“It's about the same. You don't think about where I start. I mean the environment change, I have a different-colored jersey on, but I'm still playing the same football game that I love so that's how I look at it. But I am out there with people who enjoy playing football and we all want to get better and that's all I care about.”

REDSKINS LB MASON FOSTER

On the loss:
“Yeah, it's tough man. You want to win every game out here, but you have got to tip your hat to them. They made some big time plays, but we have to do better. We have to stop them on third down and get off the field.”

On QB Carson Wentz breaking tackles and if he expected that going into the game:
“Yeah, definitely. He is a good athlete. I think sometimes people underestimate his athletic ability. He made some good plays out there and really helped his team in tight spots. Quarterbacks who can move around like that and make throws on the run, it puts us in a tight spot, but we have to make more plays. We were right there. We will go look at it and get it corrected and just keep getting better and try to make this the last one like that.”

On how he feels about the defense's performance:
“You know, it's about wins and losses. So a loss, I feel terrible. But I feel like guys were flying around, hitting people, being physical. I have to go watch it, but I feel like guys were there. We just have to make more plays. It's the NFL though, so you have to tip your hat to them. They came out and made good plays, but I believe we can make more than that and come out on top.”

REDSKINS CB BASHAUD BREELAND

On the defense's third-down performance:
“For the most part I feel like we did OK, but there were some third downs that we wish we could have back.”

On how tough it is going against a quarterback like Carson Wentz:
“Yeah, he made the play himself. He passed through rush lanes with his feet. He is a strong quarterback. If you don't take him down when you get your hands on him, he is going to make plays down the field. He keeps his eyes down the field.”

On if he feels more pressure while the offense gets timing worked out:
“No, regardless of what they do I can't comment on what's going on on that side of the ball. I'm not in that area or in that room, you know what I mean? I am worried about the defense and as long as we control what we can control on our end, we are going to help this team win a lot of games.”

REDSKINS LB RYAN KERRIGAN

On the defense's performance:
“I didn't think we played bad defensively, but third downs we were pretty not good, so if we can get off the field on just a couple of those third downs that we let them convert, then we might be looking at a different game.”

On his pick six:
“Just buzzing out of my coverage, [RB Darren] Sproles ran to the flat and I just expanded with him. I figured it was tipped; it was a duck when I got it, but just made the play. It's what we practice all the time.”

​

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.