• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 9/8/17: Gruden, Cavanaugh

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
September 8, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
“We have got three questionables: Ryan Anderson with his neck/stinger, Spencer Long with his knee and Jamison Crowder with his hip flexor.”

On if WR Jamison Crowder a concern for Sunday:
“Yeah, he's a concern. Anybody who's questionable is a concern. So we have another day of treatment – recovery – and we'll see how he is tomorrow.”

On who will play in the slot if Crowder is unavailable:
“Ryan Grant will move in there.”

On if people are sleeping on the Redskins this year:
“I don't know, I haven't really asked everybody's opinion. That's the first I've heard about it, so we're just going to try to go out and do our job. I feel good about this football team and the competitive spirit. I think we've improved but time will tell. We're going to go out and compete and play well and see what happens.”

On preparing for Week 1 as compared to other weeks:
“Even though it's the Eagles, and they're in our division, we've seen them quite a few times. There's still some things that they're going to do, I'm sure, that we haven't seen before. That's just pro football. Really each week you're going to see some nuance – a formation or a play – that you haven't seen, or a defense or a coverage or a blitz that you haven't seen. You just hope your rules hold up, you weather the storm, and at the end of the day it's going to be about man-on-man, blocking, tackling, fundamentals, ball security, staying away from the crazy penalties. We're trying to prepare them the best we can, but at the end of the day, they're going to have to go out and make plays.”

On if TE Jordan Reed has made up for lost time:
“Yeah, I think so. He's done a great job of coming in here. I think his body is in football shape now. He never really got out of shape. That's the good thing. Even though he missed a significant portion of the OTAs and part of training camp, he stayed in really good shape and he's in a good spot right now. Again, he's one of those receivers that's very easy to throw to, good in and out of his cuts, we can put him in different spots. He's comfortable and he's doing well.”

On if WR Josh Doctson and LB Junior Galette are good to go for Sunday:
“Yeah.”

Offensive Coordinator Matt Cavanaugh

On the luxury of WR Ryan Grant's versatility:
“It's wonderful. He's got a lot of versatility. He can play all three positions, he's experienced – so it's a nice luxury. It won't necessarily mean he's not going to get on the field if Jamison [Crowder] is playing, he's going to get work, so we're excited about that.”

On if the team could use different personnel groups if they're limited to four wide receivers:
“Yeah, even with four, we've got enough personnel groups that we'll get 11 guys out there. Whether it's an extra tight end or getting the most out of the receivers we've got dressed out, we'll have plenty of players.”

On the challenges the Eagles' defense presents:
“It's a big challenge. They're very good up front. They've got a very good defense. They've got some new faces. [Tim] Jernigan's in there now they drafted [Derek] Barnett, they've got some new faces in the secondary, so we've got our work cut out. But I think we match up well, and we'll find out. We've had a good week of practice. I feel real good about our unit up front, but protection is a lot more than just the guys up front. It's the backs, it's the tight ends, it's the quarterback getting the ball out of his hands in rhythm, guys getting open, so we never really say that the only way we're going to win this game is if we block the front four. We expect that, but there's a lot more that goes into it. All 11 guys are responsible.”

On having patience in the running game:
“I think most running games in this league are about being patient. You can't let them force you out of something that you want to do. Obviously we want to run the ball. We want to be as balanced as we can. I think we've got a good package together to run the ball, and we will be patient.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole "we want to run the ball, we want to be balanced,got to be patient" run the ball thing?

I'l have to see it to believe it. Love the sentiment but action speaks louder than words.

Show me.

I don't care if they run to set up the pass or vice versa.

What I want to see and what the team has PROMISED us is to be aggressive on BOTH sides of the ball so that we take the initiative in scoring on offense and creating turnovers on defense and letting the chips fall where they may.

Last year this team was damn predictable at times on offense and on defense Joe Barry and Perry Fewell did absolutely nothing to mitigate the holes, especially on third down conversions.

If a team converts a 3rd and 16 play on our defense I am OK with that as long as we schemed it up to put maximum pressure on the quarterback and not allow him to sit in the pocket and count to 5 waiting for a receiver to come open.

The other factor is Greg Manusky. Hopefully, he will bring with him what was the hallmark of Richie Petitbon's defenses - SITUATION SUBSTITUTION.

With Zach Brown, Swearinger and other additions at CB (Moreau, a healthy Fuller) we should be able to mix and match on defense now in coverage on third down and not have guys like Will Compton and DaShaun Phillips (now departed) one on one down the field trailing receivers by 3-5 yards.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.