• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 9/7/17: Gruden, Manusky

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
September 7, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:
“Limited were [Ryan] Anderson, stinger/neck; [Spencer] Long with his knee; [Jamison] Crowder with his hip flexor. Full were [Josh] Doctson, [Junior] Galette and [Montae] Nicholson.”

On his level of concern with LB Ryan Anderson's stinger:
“He practiced today in a limited basis so it's coming along. We'll have to wait and see, probably tomorrow we'll have a final verdict on whether or not he'll go.”

On if there has been gradual progress with Anderson:
“Yeah, he's made progress.”

On WR Jamison Crowder's injury:
“He just tweaked his hip flexor a little bit.”

On if RBs Mack Brown and Samaje Perine are competing for an active roster spot on Sunday:
“They're probably competing. Perine will probably be up right now, Mack Brown will probably be inactive. That's the way it sits right now but we still have a couple days to decide that.”

On how quickly the defense can come together to meet expectations:
“We hope so, we hope it comes together. It has to, we don't have a lot of choice. Philadelphia's coming to town on Sunday so we better be ready. I think they've done a great job of communicating. The big thing that I like about it is their energy level. They play fast and hard, and that's half the battle right there. I like the way they're running to the football, I like the way they're communicating led by D.J. [Swearinger]. Obviously the middle linebackers do an excellent job – Mason [Foster] and Zach [Brown] – so we've just got to keep going, [we've] got to play fast. Philly throws a lot at you, a lot of different formations and a lot of different run actions. Carson [Wentz] does some zone reads, so there's a lot of things that they have to be prepared for and hopefully they are.”

On why the energy is different:
“It just feels that way. We'll see on Sunday, but I imagine – I hope – the energy is different. I just think we added some new pieces that bring us to a different level.”

On how the Eagles will use their new weapons:
“Well, you never know. They had four preseason games and Carson played a little bit, but you never know what they're holding out on. They added a couple guys in the draft, a good running back – [Donnel] Pumphrey is a good running back, a good scat back too to go along with [Darren] Sproles, so who knows? We'll have to wait and see. We just have to be prepared for what they're going to throw at us, use our rules, be gap secure, and then always run to the football.”

On the improvement he saw from Eagles QB Carson Wentz last year:
“I just think the more experience you get, the better you are, the more comfortable he looked, the more poised he looked. He's always looked like a poised quarterback to me. He doesn't look like a rookie. Him and [Dak] Prescott were very similar in that regard – they both have great poise for young players and a great handle on their offense. When pressure gets around them, they adjust pretty well and they handle it. He's a young player but he doesn't play young.”

On Eagles DT Fletcher Cox:
“Well, he's a great athlete. He's big and strong and he's got a quick first step. He gets off the snap count extremely well. He's one of the best three techniques in the league, if not the best. He can play the run equally as well as he can play the pass. That's what we're hoping to get around here. He's a great player.”

On if the plan is to use Crowder for punt returns this season:
“Yes, we do anticipate using him as a punt returner and Chris Thompson's done a little bit, Kendall Fuller's done some and actually D.J. Swearinger's shown to be a very good punt returner so we have a couple options back there, but Crowder's the main one.”

Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky

On how quickly the defense can play to the level he expects:
“I think it's a little bit ASAP. I think the sooner the better. I think the guys have been working hard in the OTAs and training camp and in the preseason games. I know they didn't get a lot of reps as a first unit, but overall I think with the practices that we've had and with the prep time we've had in this coming week for Philly, I'm excited about what's going to happen this weekend.”

On what kind of questions he still has about what he expects from the defense:
“I think maybe no points, no yards rushing, no yards passing, that would be great. But overall, the guys have been working real hard together during training camp and in this last week leading up to this game. I think overall with the leadership of the guys that we have from Ziggy Hood to D.J. [Swearinger] to Ryan Kerrigan to Preston [Smith], I think it's a great situation for all those guys and even for some of the younger players on our team to have a chance to play a divisional game at home.”

On how difficult it is to know what to expect from the Eagles this week:
“I think each offense – whoever it is – they have their tendencies across the board, but I know the weapons that they have, that they acquired in the offseason through free agency, is a plus for them. We've added some players as well. We're excited more about the players that we have.”

On the defensive line:
“You talked about Jimmy [Jim Tomsula] and the rotation that he had during training camp and during preseason games, you know, it's always to make sure that we have the right guys in the right position but that could also cross-breed into playing the nose or playing the right end if they're just a left end. So we're still in that process. We kind of know where we're going to be and you'll find out on Sunday.”

On what DL Ziggy Hood can do to “survive” at nose tackle:
“He's a 300-pounder, I think 17 percent body fat. I think he's an ideal nose for us right now with what we had. I know we lost Phil [Taylor Sr.] in the preseason games, but we have to move on. With him doing it, he's been doing a good job, been doing a great job during training camp. That's why we always cross-breed to get those noses in those situations.”

On Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery:
“He's got speed. He can take the top off the defense. So can [No.] 82 [Torrey Smith]. Both guys have speed. I mean, he's more of a body position guy, he can go up and get the ball, so we'll see. We know what each player is and what their attributes are, so we'll try to defend them the best we can on Sunday.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Redskins should have a good matchup on Sunday with Jeffrey and Torrey Smith.

Both players have size and Norman/Breeland seem to excel covering receivers with size that go up to compete for balls down the field.

We seem to have a more difficult time matching up with the smurfs. Guys like Stefon Diggs killed us last year.

The Redskins should have a good matchup on Sunday with Jeffrey and Torrey Smith.

Both players have size and Norman/Breeland seem to excel covering receivers with size that go up to compete for balls down the field.

We seem to have a more difficult time matching up with the smurfs. Guys like Stefon Diggs killed us last year.

Hey, question for you. Is this whole thing over-rated regarding teams picking up players like Sudfeld, and gleaning valuable information from them ? Or is it realistic to a degree ?

Last edited:
I think it's way overblown. Now if the Redskins don't change up some of their signals, yeah, it could be a factor. But that would be pretty dumb knowing the first thing they'd get from Sudfeld would be signal calls.

As far as signals go, don't they use radio transmissions now, from headset to helmet ?

I'm taking about QB and defensive captain commands - those are verbal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.