• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

3rd QB

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Saw this thrown out there and figured it would be an interesting thing to chat about.... Would you move Sudfeld to the practice squad, knowing you have Pryor on the roster as a 3rd QB option in an emergency? Thus opening the door for an additional roster spot for that 6th WR (to cover Doc's injury), additional MLB or D-line?

In a heartbeat unless he puts on an unexpectedly good performance against Tampa. If that were to happen he would never make it to the PS.

That's why I said in BB's thread, that I'd keep Sudfield on the roster. Especially if he plays well tonight.

In a QB starved league, it's risky to put almost any 2nd year QB on a practice squad. I think the kid has the arm. He's got sneaky escape-ability. And he seems to be progressing in taking snaps under center.

With the doubts about whether our current starting QB will even want to be here next season, I wouldn't risk losing the time we've put into Nate.

That's what some don't get. The backup guys who stand out amongst the 2nd and 3rd stringers, have the best shot at progressing to the next level.

I hope all our scrubs beat the tarnation out of their scrubs.

In a QB starved league, it's risky to put almost any 2nd year QB on a practice squad. I think the kid has the arm. He's got sneaky escape-ability. And he seems to be progressing in taking snaps under center.

Everyone also likes to bring up players being picked up by rivals so they can be pumped for info.
I think this is more likely for Suds, because inside the mind of a QB, holds more offensive knowledge than any other position.
Add to that he's been through 2 Gruden camps.
He'd provide such a wealth of inside info on the team, he'd be like a mini-Gruden for NY, Dallas, or Philly to pick up.
Philly could probably use a backup QB, and we play them first. Something to think about.

I've never been a fan of carrying 3 QBs - as if we're down to our 3rd QB for more than an emergency 1 game situation, we probably aren't going anywhere in that season anyway, but almost always find ourselves in need of OL or DL during the season. We have the luxury of just going with 2 with Pryor on the roster but that would rob of us of arguably our #1 WR. And yeah, it puts us at risk for someone trying to steal Sudfeld off the PS.

I guess ultimately it depends on whether the coaches think Sudfeld really has potential to stick? I only heard part of the first half on the radio coming home from work last night. It sounded like Sudfeld was having a nice night though don't know how he played in the 2nd half? That might sway things...

I didn't catch the WHOLE game, but what i saw was not terrible... it wasnt 'great' but it wasnt terrible. He appeared to have a grasp of the offense and took a few (very few) chances down field. The major argument I've heard to this theory is you 'need' to keep Sudfeld because you dont know what's going to happen with Kirk, so he may very well be your no. 2 QB next season, and he knows the system. My response to that is, if Kirk is gone, we're drafting a QB this year and McCoy is your stop gap if necessary. At that point Sudfeld might be your no. 2, but it's clear he's not going to be your long term investment. Sudfeld didn't do anything to me to 'prove' he's an asset to this team. He didn't do anything to suggest he's a liability either.... At this point it comes down to who is more valuable, regardless of position. Sudfeld as a 3rd stringer who very well may not even dress for a single game this season.... or a guy like Harvey-Clemmons (LB), Marley (LB), Davis (WR), J. Quick (WR), Pascal (WR), McKinnon (CB), McClure (SS), Sprinkle (TE). All of those guys have shown flashes this preseason, and could be long term contributors... who will contribute more in 5 years, Sudfeld, or one of these guys?

Last edited:
Sudfeld after 2 plus years in this system still doesn't look like a player that could really help us during the season if it came to that.

We would still be looking to acquire a veteran off the street to come in and be the starter.

So, if I were the GM I would not hold a roster spot for Sudfeld if I have a player at another position who is younger and has a legit chance to develop.

I was listening to 980 early this AM and Al Galdi was talking about cutting Robert Davis and Jeremy Sprinkle and putting them on the practice squad.

I think that is naive.

Robert Davis has the size, speed and has shown well enough in camp and the preseason that he will be claimed by another club as soon as we try and pass him through waivers.

To me, we cut Brian Quick who has really not shown that much or Sudfeld.

Sprinkle has shown less than Davis but given he is a rookie and #5 pick who you expected to need some time to develop when he was drafted, I would think you let Derrick Carrier go.

Again, I think Sprinkle would also be claimed.

The Redskins already have 3 receiving tight ends in Reed, Davis and Paul that are going to make the roster. Reed and Paul are guys under 240.

We need somebody with size that Bill Callahan and Co. can work with to help the running game down the line.

Carrier can't block worth a lick. He and Reed are finesse players. We need a counter-balance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.