• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I think taylors injury makes it clear

Then we still got another 30% to bump it up.

I don't have a problem with using it when necessary. We don't have the personnel to run it full time, I agree, and the coaching staff apparently agrees as well. At this point, it would almost make more sense to have Manusky just come out and say we're not a base 3-4 anymore...

I don't think we have the personnel to run it even part-time, either.
Running it part-time is enough to be significantly detrimental to our defense.

Personally I think there's a time for pretty much any formation, if nothing else, to give the offense another look to think about... not where the bread is buttered, but look how effective the Read Option is even when Kirk runs it...

I don't think coaches need to label anything. Opposing offenses watch the film anyway. Just play defense and leave the labeling to us civilians. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we used to run a 4-3 defense, and when it was decided we would be going 3-4, it took the best part of 3, maybe 4 years to get the personnel to go that way. Are you prepared to go through another complete change of defense?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we used to run a 4-3 defense, and when it was decided we would be going 3-4, it took the best part of 3, maybe 4 years to get the personnel to go that way. Are you prepared to go through another complete change of defense?

It shouldn't take 4 years to switch back because our current players are more suited for a 4-3, so it won't be the complete overhaul that it was when we went from 4-3 to 3-4.

1- we never actually got the personelle to go that way
2- even now we are better suited to an aggressive 4-3
3- multiple defences actually require a certain kind of player at several spots to work, we never actually had those players, the closest was daniels who could play end and tackle and haynesworth who had the talent but not the drive to play anywhere on the line

3-4 defences require a very specific type of lineman and very specific types of linebackers, a few superlative guys can play in both but really players are limited by athletic types, mentality and skillset, thats what idiots like shanny didnt ever understand. we literally destroyed what had potential to be a very good defence all because shanny watched some video pf pittsburgh but couldnt be bothered to do some simple background research

1- we never actually got the personelle to go that way
2- even now we are better suited to an aggressive 4-3
3- multiple defences actually require a certain kind of player at several spots to work, we never actually had those players, the closest was daniels who could play end and tackle and haynesworth who had the talent but not the drive to play anywhere on the line

Why are we so hung up on the '3-4 vs the 4-3'. WE LINE UP IN THE 4-3 THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME. I'm in Chris' camp that the coaches don't need to label anything to fans. From the stats, it would appear we've gone to the 4-3, they just never came out and told us keyboard coaches that they did it. CLEARLY we're not equipped to run a 3-4 as a full time defense, and the team knows it... hence the reason we don't run it full time.

How often did we ACTUALLY line up in a 3-4 during the regular season?

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/23/does-redskins-base-defensive-scheme-matter/

According to this... 70% of the defensive snaps last season was in the 4-3

Last edited:
because to be frank its not simply about how we line up, its about philosophy, techniques, and coaching style, I know we line up in a 4-3 looking alignements a lot, I also know we are using players out of position and our philosophy is flawed.

because to be frank its not simply about how we line up, its about philosophy, techniques, and coaching style, I know we line up in a 4-3 looking alignements a lot, I also know we are using players out of position and our philosophy is flawed.

but if we have the personnel better suited to run a 4 - 3, and we line up out of the 4 - 3 the vast majority of the time... then...... are we using players out of position...?

If I had to guess, based on the information I've seen, we went to a 4 - 3 a while ago, they just did it and just didnt call you and tell you, or have a press release for it.

Had to re-visit this... are you suggesting that during the week, we practice out of a 3-4, in the meeting rooms, we're going at things with a 3-4 mentality, coaches are developing drills and schemes based on a 3-4, then on Sunday, we run plays out of the 4-3?

Last edited:
The Redskins need to look tomorrow during the cut-downs for a veteran DT.

You look across the DL and we have a rookie in Jonathan Allen, two second year guys that were backups last year in Ioannidis and Lanier, and 30 year old rotational players in McClain and Hood. McGee is perhaps a step up from Hood and McClain but is still a guy with injury question marks.

We need some insurance on the line and that won't come from Mbu or Francis.

players play positions but at the NFL level they are not simply ends, tackles etc, they usually identify by technique, a 0 tech is a straight up nose tackle, a 1 tech lines up in the c/g gap a 3 tech is outside shoulder of the guard etc etc, the problem is that a DE is a 3-4 schemes responsabilities are regardless of alignment in a 4-3 or 3-4. that stuff is scheme reliant not alignment reliant, thats why a guy like andre carter was a superlative DE in a 4-3 scheme, but a terrible OLB in a 3-4 even though they both lined up in what looks like a 5-6 tech. its why some guys make great DE's in a 3-4 but are junk in a 4-3 and vice versa

Agreed. And that's why I cringe when it appears the Redskins answer to the injuries and departures the past 2 years has been to plug Ziggy Hood in there at NT and expect him to hold up.

Could it be that we're fully abandoning the 3-4 ?
We cut our last 2 remaining NT's. Havn't signed any to the practice squad. The only Dlineman we signed was Banks. And one of the NT's we cut and didn't bring back to the PS, was considered good enough to sign with the Colt's PS.
Seems we've totally turned our back on the position. We could still sign a vet that becomes available. But we'd still need a backup. And a new guy would have precious little time to practice and get ready for our opener.
We aren't really planning on rotating Hood/McClain/McGee at the position, are we ?
Or is Ionnaidis our secret weapon ?

If we were running a 4-3 Kerrigan would most likely make the switch to DE or you might see Lanier there.

It would seem a guy like Stacy McGee would be a best fit in the 4-3 as a DT. He's 335 and has some athleticism, but doesn't have the ability to play straight over the nose.

So, I think the personnel is here to make that transition.

Brown, Foster, Anderson, etc. could be the LBs in a 4-3.

But I don't think you will see the team make that change.

At least under this administration.

They seem set in place on both sides of the ball.

Shawn Lauvao and Ryan Grant are HC favorites and are kept ahead of other players despite being 'meh' contributors.

DeAngelo Hall at 34 and hopping on one leg is still on the team, although hanging on by one finger on the PUP list.

Any other team facing Cravens uncertainty at safety, like the Steelers or Bucs would have gone out and made a deal for some insurance there.

But we allow safety, left guard and defensive tackle remain problem areas.

We simply refuse to acquire TWO safeties that can play together with no question marks or 'transition' periods to go through.

We refuse to upgrade from Lauvao in the draft or free agency.

We refuse to admit that Ryan Grant is simply a good practice and camp player whose impact in NFL games that count is next to zero.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.