• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Preseason Week Three: Bengals @ Redskins

Doctson did not participate in warmups. Not sure what exactly is up with him :( Not sure about Galette.

I'm thinking Jay should relinquish the play calling duties. Just not working so far

Painter with weak ass block letting a sack/turnover. Turk will visit him tonight

I'm thinking Jay should relinquish the play calling duties. Just not working so far

a. It's the preseason.

b. Relinquish them to WHO?

Elephant - where you at in chat - just when it becomes clear we are eventual Super Bowl Champs!!???

Any of these cats would do

Cavanaugh
Callahan
Jordan
Phillips

Gruden has a proven track record as OC - fashioned one of the best NFL offenses in Cincy, and did it with journeymen at QB. I'm pretty sure he knows how to call an offense. Relax :)

True, but he wasn't a HC overseeing the whole team then either. I'd rather see him delegate it so he can spread attention around is all. For the most part though first string offense has looked like shit. Not totally on him mind you

On another note Painter & Quick should be cut tonight.

Not sure how much better yet but the defense has definitely improved over last yr. Seems to have little depth as well.

My prediction is top 15 or so in total D

Gruden has a proven track record as OC - fashioned one of the best NFL offenses in Cincy, and did it with journeymen at QB.

Why do you say "journeymen at QB" ?
Cincy took Dalton as a 2nd round pick in Gruden's first year at Cincy.
He was their starter from Day 1, and has been their starter ever since, and a pretty decent one the whole time.
I just don't see how the term "journeymen" fits the scenario at all.

Why do you say "journeymen at QB" ?
Cincy took Dalton as a 2nd round pick in Gruden's first year at Cincy.
He was their starter from Day 1, and has been their starter ever since, and a pretty decent one the whole time.
I just don't see how the term "journeymen" fits the scenario at all.

That's a fair question. Where a QB is drafted doesn't define his ability. When's the last time you heard Dalton mentioned as even a top 10 or even top 15 QB? You haven't. And that's because he's not much more than a 'serviceable' starter. The only time he's looked like more than that was when Gruden was running the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fair question. Where a QB is drafted doesn't define his ability. When's the last time you heard Dalton mentioned as even a top 10 or even top 15 QB? You haven't. And that's because he's not much more than a 'serviceable' starter. The only time he's looked like more than that was when Gruden was running the offense.

When I think of a "journeyman QB", I think of a guy who has bounced around multiple teams, (hence the term 'journey') either as a backup, or as a short-term patch at the QB position, who's never seen as a long-term solution, since he's considered marginal talent.
Is that not an accurate description or definition ?
If so, I don't think Dalton fits any of it. I'd also disagree that he only looked serviceable while under Gruden's guidance. In the 3 years since Gruden left Cincy, even tho the Bengals havn't been great, he's arguably looked better, or at least as good. If he's not much more than serviceable, why havn't the Bengals tried very hard to replace, or been able to replace him, during the course of the last 4 years ?

Last edited:
Okay - I see your point in terms of semantics. But in terms of my overall point, that Gruden made a guy no one else would've considered legitimate starter material capable of being a 1st string QB, I'll stand by my statement.

Suggesting that Gruden isn't more than qualified to call plays? Sorry - but that sounds pretty silly to me.

Slow start, great finish.

McCoy, Spaight and a few others really stood out, and almost a blocked punt too. Much better showing.

Okay - I see your point in terms of semantics. But in terms of my overall point, that Gruden made a guy no one else would've considered legitimate starter material capable of being a 1st string QB, I'll stand by my statement.

Suggesting that Gruden isn't more than qualified to call plays? Sorry - but that sounds pretty silly to me.

I'm not going to get into the argument about Gruden more qualified to call plays based on Dalton's play, but I think it's fair to say that Dalton has just fine since he left and might be better. Does that mean Gruden laid the foundation or had no impact? It's hard to say.

If you are going to ask the question about whether or not someone should be calling the plays, I think you should be looking at the team's offensive output, not just the QB play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.