• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Preseason Heroes

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Time to have a little bit of fun...

Post a preseason hero... from the past or present. This is not limited to this season, this can be as far back as you can remember, have some fun with it!!!

My go to is Sultan McCullough...

What you got?!

Redskins Preseason Hall of Fame

1. Sultan McCullough
2. Robert McCune
3. Colt Brennan
4. Babe Laufenberg
5. Nehemiah Broughton
6. Bacarri Rambo
7. Selvish Capers
8. Jesse Lumsden
9. Nico Marley
10. Marko Mitchell
11. Nick Williams
12. Nehemiah Broughton
13. Rashad Ross
14. Anthony Mix

Last edited:
Silent Threat and I were having too much fun with this in the game chat thread. Lots of candidates here. We are mostly talking about guys who either never made the team or were never able to stick. I nominated Taylor Jacobs :) But that's not really in the spirit of the thread.

My serious nomination: Robert McCune. Army vet. Guns the size of your head. Couldn't play. But I still dug him :smitten:

Going old school....

Babe Laufenberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay - not on skins but Clint Longley t-day hero got in a fight with Staubach following preseason cut

Colt Brennan - threw for a billion yards in college

I would've liked to have seen what Colt could do under center if given the reigns for a full NFL season. Not saying he would've disproved his critics/skeptics, but the guy was the most prolific college passer ever in his day, and that wasn't a hallucination - he achieved it. I've never really understood why you draft a QB and then never give him a legitimate opportunity to show what he can do in live action?

This year's nominee - Nico Marley. UDFA from Tulane with a fun story. You'd think he was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor to hear the mediots talk. Won't make the team and of course, that will doom us, like....forever!

Yeah. We cut Brennan for John-Effing-Beck. Dumb move if you ask me. In his first pre-season, Brennan had more completions and yards than any other rookie QB. He got injured and then when Beck came on board, that pushed him off the roster. He tried to catch on the with USFL (which then folded), the CFL, and even Arena football. He had the accident and a significant TBI and that was it for him. I haven't been able to find what he has done since then. Sad really.

I remember him goin to the Raiders, I think around the same time Rock Cartwright and some other Redskin did.
And yea - John Beck. Shanahan talked him up like he was the next Joe Montana.

Last edited:
I think in today's NFL everything is so scripted that unless you show well in practice the likelihood of ever seeing the field is remote. I can't help but believe there are players who thrive in games but suck in practice - we may have one in #52 Anderson. I believe that is what happened to Brennan but I was hopeful as long as he stayed on the team. Oh well, I guess we'll always have Timmy Smith.

Well, the other thing that hurts prospects like Brennan is when the team that drafts you changes head coach every 3 years :(

True, when I look at Green Bay and see McCarthy entering his 11th year it is no wonder their preseason looks different than ours.

At least Gruden is being given some time - he has some players who pretty much know what to do/expect but we still have a considerable amount of roster and coaching churn so that is dissipated somewhat.

We have seen improvement year to year and I hope it continues and he can stay - can't help but bring dividends going forward.

For those who will point at 9-7 then 8-7-1 I would remind them that last year was against one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.

Sorry. One too many windows open. :p

Who was the Canadian RB that everybody thought was the second coming of Riggins?

Nehemiah Broughton comes to mind too....

Last edited:
I think you meant to post that in the other thread DP, but yeah, I think you're right. Talent isn't the only factor. Scheme and how it matches your talent is probably just as big a factor. The question of whether great coaches adjust their scheme to talent, or whether finding the best talent that matches your scheme - that's another debate. Now back to Preseason Heroes :)

Keep them coming folks. We're going to have a 'Preseason Heroes HOF' page :)

I know this doesn't fit into the "specifications" for preseason heroes..but I'd nominate Gibbs. He took teams that looked like they could do nothing in the preseason to the SuperBowl.

What about Patrick Ramsey? Ended up as backup to Brunell I think under Gibbs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.