• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/17/17: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 17, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On WR Maurice Harris:
“He won't play this week but he's moving forward with his rehab. He's active in individual [drills]. Hopefully we'll get him up in some team work next week, maybe get him ready for Cincinnati.”

On if Harris' injury was to his knee:
“Yeah, just tendinitis-type stuff.”

On S Deshazor Everett:
“He had a personal issue he had to attend to. He's OK.”

On who won't be playing on Saturday:
“Obviously Su'a [Cravens], Junior Galette, Harris and Levern Jacobs won't play, and obviously the PUP guys.”

On if they will wait until Saturday to determine WR Josh Doctson's availability:
“Yeah, he looked good today, so we'll get a look at him during pregame warmup and see where he stands and try to get him out there. We'll see.”

On LB Preston Smith:
“He's good. He practiced today and yesterday and he's fine.”

On TE Jordan Reed's progress and Gruden's expectations for his return:
“I have learned that I don't expect anything from these injured players. That's not just trying to be funny, it's just fact. I let the trainers handle that and I let the player handle that. When they're ready, I get the OK and they practice.”

On if there's a greater sense of concern for Doctson than Reed:
“No, I think every person's different – how their bodies are – so we have to take each injury for what they are, treat them and get them out on the field as quick as we can. Josh has been unfortunate with the Achilles and then he was doing a lot of running and doing very good and he just tweaked his hammy, so they're both totally different. Jordan's had a couple different lingering issues obviously throughout his career, a couple concussions and now the foot, so it's just a matter of taking care of them and getting them back on the field.”

On what he's seen from WR Ryan Grant this training camp and preseason:
“He's really strong, he's in great shape, and he's Mr. Consistent. Everything we ask him to do he does, and he does it right. No matter where he lines up, no matter what we ask him to do – he can come in the core and block the safety, whatever we want him to do, he can run whatever route from whatever positon and he runs at the right depth, perfect angles coming out of them. He's just ‘Steady Eddie,' and that's why I like him. I like consistent, smart players and that's what Ryan is.”

On if there are enough balls available for Grant:
“I think people may be surprised with how many balls Ryan Grant might catch. Either way, could happen, I don't know. I can't foresee the future there, but I would be just fine with Ryan Grant being the target of a lot of balls.”

On RBs Mack Brown and Samaje Perine:
“Mack [Brown], Samaje [Perine] and Matt [Jones] and now Kenny [Hilliard]… Obviously Matt's done some good things for us. We've seen a body of work with Matt. He's a big, physical guy. And then Mack Brown really started to come on last year at the end of training camp, got a couple of really good preseason games. Against Tampa he had a 100-plus yards, and then he was activated a couple games. I liked what he brought to the team on special teams, then he had a big breakout run against Chicago, which was excellent. He's progressing along also. And then Samaje is new to the system, new to the football team and we have to take a good look at him the last three games.”

On the value of special teams for running backs:
“Any time if you're the number two or three back, you need to play some special teams. You know, Chris Thompson will be out on some returns, but the No. 2 guy if we have three up, somebody's got to play some teams. And that'll be that person – either Samaje or Mack or Matt – whoever t it is.”

On TE Niles Paul:
“Niles has been one of the most impressive guys to me in camp. He's another guy, he's like Ryan Grant in that we can ask him to do anything. He'll play in-the-core Y, we'll put him at fullback, he lines up outside. His speed looks where it was before the injuries. I mean, I think he's had an outstanding training camp so far. He's done so many different things. And that's one of the toughest positions – a tight end, the move tight end. You've got to know all the blocking schemes, you've got to know all the pass patterns and you've got to know a lot of the protections. So he's handled everything effortlessly with great effort, and [has] been very productive. I'm anxious to see Niles play more.”

On if he has decided how long the starters will play against Green Bay:
“I have not. You know, it'll be a feeling out there on Saturday, really. I intend on them playing a little bit more than normal, probably, but we'll see how it goes.”

On what he's hoping to accomplish in the second preseason game:
“Well, we actually want to improve a little bit. You know, I think going three-and-out two series in a row is not what we intended. Defensively we did some good things though. I think we went three-and-out on defense with our starting defense, the first two groups. Josh [Norman] and D.J. [Swearinger] were in there, we went three-and-out – and Ryan [Kerrigan]. I'd like them to continue their trend of making plays and flying around to the football.”

On LB Ryan Anderson:
“He had a stinger and we're going to let him dress in pregame warmup on Saturday and see where he is. He has total mobility now back, I think he's fine, but we just want to make sure he has strength back in it.”

On if Mason Foster and Zach Brown will start at linebacker this week:
“Right now, for this game, we're going to start with Mason and Zach – Mason at Mike and Zach at Mo – and after that we'll see what happens, see how they perform and go from there.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a kid watching this game, the rule of thumb used to be that it took three years for receivers to develop.

Maybe Grant's just old school?

Seems like that school is in session only during the summer and takes a vacation in the fall.

Seems like that school is in session only during the summer and takes a vacation in the fall.
Eh, guess we'll see this fall.
But this is it: he has to perform on the field this fall or it's time to cut bait.

I think Grant has hung around mostly because he's been a good blocker for them. Some new Redskins around that may press him in that regard. Brian Quick comes to mind and he's somewhat better at actually catching the ball.
They're still playing around with personnel on both lines so it's going to take some time for them to gel. The staff needs to figure this out pretty quickly and probably will settle most of the lineup by game 3 (preseason game 3...:wink:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.