• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce Allen Official Statement on Cousins Offer

That's a sucker's choice argument DP. The choices aren't limited to 'Pay him whatever it takes to get a LTD' or 'He should take whatever the benevolent team offers'.

I love Kirk and want him to be the QB. But you can also argue he hasn't shown he can win the big game. He totally flopped in a home playoff game against an imminently beatable Packers team. He was unable to step up against several below average teams late last year and at least helped ensure we would not be a playoff participant.

Again - I'm fine with whatever decision he made. But don't go on record with Joe Theissmann and a hundred other media folks telling us all how badly you want to be here, then refuse to even negotiate in good faith with the team who gave you your opportunity and made you a rich man. Sack up and admit you either don't want to be here, or that you want the max deal you can get regardless of whether it's with the Skins or somewhere else.

The Skins Front Office aren't the only players here, so lets stop pretending that's the case.

Bottom line - I'm not going to argue with fellow fans about it. Sad thing is, we're really the only ones who truly care and end up getting butt-****ed year after year. The Redskins will get richer, Kirk Cousins will get richer, and Skins fans will suffer through another 8 QBs and 5 coaches and maybe get a playoff game once every decade or so to keep us hopeful.

Last edited:
You all realize this means the demise of Jon Gruden, right? He's going into year 4 and he's faced with a lame duck QB with no real replacement. There are no FA's to consider and Colt ****ing McCoy is not going to run this offense nearly as well as Cousins. What? Do we give Gruden a fresh start since he needs to find another QB in year 5? Draft one in the hopes he comes into a team that is built all around? Sounds a lot like the Norv Turner years to me. Brad Johnson anyone?

I gotta tell you, I'm sick of this.

The Redskins have got to have the worst PR team in history. Between the way they mismanaged the McCloughan departure (not necessarily that he didn't need to depart, but their handling of it) and this, I have never seen a more tone deaf group of incompetents in all my life. Other than satisfying some ego issue and possibly trying to dissuade some fans from blaming the Front Office, what in God's name were Allen and Company thinking there was to be gained by publicly blaming Cousins for the failure to ink a LTD???

And this is why Cousins won't sign. This organization isn't attractive to a sensible player. Cousins is smart enough to see the dysfunction.

I assume that this contract was offered over 5 years but does it say that anywhere? 5 years makes the most sense cap wise but including an Option Bonus might make the contract more interesting to evaluate depending on when the option can be exercised and how much of the not fully guaranteed money is tied up in it.

If a player wanted $15M guaranteed in a year on a $65M contract. What the team might do is offer $10M guaranteed salary for the option year with a $20M option. Now the contract is $60M. If the option isn't exercised then he gets $10M for the option year but if it exercised is he gets $20M. The cap hit is initially reduced using an option but if exercised then the $20M option money is guaranteed which replaces the $10M and is spread out over the remaining years of the contract. A bigger cap hit after exercised however the cap goes up every year so it's less of a dent overall.

The option is kind of like a delayed signing bonus in that it pushes the cap hit down until the option is exercised. A bit of a risk for the player because while he'll still get that original $10M guaranteed salary but that's $5M less than he originally wanted, if the option isn't exercised. On the other hand, he'll get $5M more than the $15M he wanted if it is exercised. The team would be willing to offer more guaranteed option money because they don't have to pay it out as soon and they are willing to pay a bonus later.

All along I've said both sides are to blame. Probably more belongs to Allen. Since beginning of the year he has done his best to destroy the team.

There was the messy divorce with McCloughin and now the Cousins saga. I would love to know what the players think of Allen. My guess is many of the FA's are glad they only took a 1 year deal.

In my 45+ years as a Redskins fan, I never remember being this down on my team.

I know there are a lot of fans out there whose only experience with the Redskins is the dysfunction that reigned here from 2000-2010, etc. and don't trust that ANY outcome other than paying the bird in hand - Kirk Cousins- is the answer.

But IMO, you could see this circumstance coming for months. And if I were the owner or GM, I would simply move on after 2017.

The 2018 draft is much better than 2017 or 2016 in terms of depth of quarterback talent. Unlike 2017 where the Bears traded a fortune to move up ONE spot to take Trubisky, there will be players with better athleticism and more college experience coming out next year.

Trust your draft professionals. The Redskins have their first and second round picks. If the team finishes in a wildcard or near wildcard position (9-7 or 10-6) which is probable you are talking about picking at 22 or thereabouts.

You keep your pick and take a qb in Round 1 or 2. Start McCoy for the first 8-10 games of 2018, and then move on to the next qb era. If the player is not fully ready until 2019 so be it.

This team still needs more pieces on defense and we still may have holes at RB, LG on offense to fill before this team is really ready to contend for a championship, even if you have the answer at qb.

Kirk Cousins is not Brady, Brees or Roethlisberger.

The poor losses to the Steelers, Panthers, Cardinals and Giants last season show that he may not even be at the top tier of the next level of qbs.

Among the younger qbs, I would take Derek Carr or Jameis Winston over Cousins at this point given the money.

And the money is important.

Because if your quarterback is making $25M a year and is NOT a franchise player like Rodgers, Brady or Brees then you won't win because you don't have the money to keep guys like Zach Brown or Breeland (assuming he plays well in 2017) or a guy like Terelle Pryor, who could be on the verge of breaking out at wide receiver.

So, paying that much you have to win with younger players, draft picks, and veteran free agents playing near the minimum and that formula which Bellichick uses ONLY works if you have the franchise quarterback to make it go.

Cousins has shown he is not that.

And let's for a moment consider the teams that WILL be in the bidding for Cousins at $26-28M:

Cleveland
SF
Jacksonville
San Diego
NY Jets
Houston
LA Rams

The only team in that grouping that has shown it has the capability of winning anything under current management is Houston.

These other teams track record in recent years shows they often make the wrong decisions.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, Seattle and other winning teams for the most part DRAFT their quarterbacks.

And none of those teams just named took their franchise quarterback in the top 5-7 picks in the draft.

Last edited:
For me it's not about if we did or didn't sign Cousins to a LTD. It is more about the way the handled things, especially since January. Plus, this team has been treading water ever since JKC died. Every so often we have a winning season and have a playoff game, just enough to keep a hook in us. Thing is it is getting old.

Let's be honest.

The Redskins were big-time losers from the time Joe Gibbs walked away before the 1993 season.

From 1993-1998 before Snyder took over the Redskins were a bad team for the most part, with a quite a lot of 'shut your eyes when watching' moments on the field from Gus Frerotte head-butting a concrete wall against the Giants to seeing Norv Turner sign the free agent discards from the Dallas Cowboys (Gesek, Washington, Casillas, Alvin Harper) and watching them all fail.

Blah, the whole situation is just deflating... FO handled it poorly. Kirk sounds like he didn't even instruct his agent to counter-offer and get into honest negotiations...

I just want the Skins to be contenders again. And to do that, you need a solid (at min) qb. The way this is looking, we'll be back into the qb carousel abyss...

Sigh.

I know there are a lot of fans out there whose only experience with the Redskins is the dysfunction that reigned here from 2000-2010, etc. and don't trust that ANY outcome other than paying the bird in hand - Kirk Cousins- is the answer.

But IMO, you could see this circumstance coming for months. And if I were the owner or GM, I would simply move on after 2017.

The 2018 draft is much better than 2017 or 2016 in terms of depth of quarterback talent. Unlike 2017 where the Bears traded a fortune to move up ONE spot to take Trubisky, there will be players with better athleticism and more college experience coming out next year.

Trust your draft professionals. The Redskins have their first and second round picks. If the team finishes in a wildcard or near wildcard position (9-7 or 10-6) which is probable you are talking about picking at 22 or thereabouts.

You keep your pick and take a qb in Round 1 or 2. Start McCoy for the first 8-10 games of 2018, and then move on to the next qb era. If the player is not fully ready until 2019 so be it.

This team still needs more pieces on defense and we still may have holes at RB, LG on offense to fill before this team is really ready to contend for a championship, even if you have the answer at qb.

Kirk Cousins is not Brady, Brees or Roethlisberger.

The poor losses to the Steelers, Panthers, Cardinals and Giants last season show that he may not even be at the top tier of the next level of qbs.

Among the younger qbs, I would take Derek Carr or Jameis Winston over Cousins at this point given the money.

And the money is important.

Because if your quarterback is making $25M a year and is NOT a franchise player like Rodgers, Brady or Brees then you won't win because you don't have the money to keep guys like Zach Brown or Breeland (assuming he plays well in 2017) or a guy like Terelle Pryor, who could be on the verge of breaking out at wide receiver.

So, paying that much you have to win with younger players, draft picks, and veteran free agents playing near the minimum and that formula which Bellichick uses ONLY works if you have the franchise quarterback to make it go.

Cousins has shown he is not that.

And let's for a moment consider the teams that WILL be in the bidding for Cousins at $26-28M:

Cleveland
SF
Jacksonville
San Diego
NY Jets
Houston
LA Rams

The only team in that grouping that has shown it has the capability of winning anything under current management is Houston.

These other teams track record in recent years shows they often make the wrong decisions.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, Seattle and other winning teams for the most part DRAFT their quarterbacks.

And none of those teams just named took their franchise quarterback in the top 5-7 picks in the draft.

Excellent post and opinion. The bulk of our fan base misses the main point that Cousins is not a Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, or Brees.

Sure, he might be light years better than anything we've had under center since '91, but when you consider the QB carousel that we've painfully endured in D.C., it's not really saying much. Don't get me wrong, Cousins is a good quarterback, but he's just that - good. Replaceable? Yes. One hundred times better than any quarterback that we've had in quite some time should not necessarily make him earn a blockbuster deal.

Too many people are willing to settle for "good" simply because we've been in the abyss for so long as a franchise. I actually applaud the front office for setting a ceiling price for Cousins and showing restraint this time around.

Sure, it's hard to swallow to a point because we've been an NFL doormat for so long. However, I'd be curious to see if people's reaction to this guy would change had the previous 10 to 12 years before Cousins spoiled us with success from the quarterback position and team in general. Let's say for instance we had the pleasure of having an Elway or Favre type player at QB for us. Would Kirk still be seen as that irreplaceable franchise guy that we just can't afford to let go?

In places like New England, fans would be calling for heads after a 9-7 division championship, an 8 win follow up the next year, and zero playoff wins. That's Kirk Cousins.

Cousins doesn't have to be Brady, Manning or Rodgers...this market dictates the price for a QB this year...if any of those names were in a contract year this year, there would be a new bar that Cousins' contract could not touch.

What is Cousins? Consistent quality at a position where we've had 20 starting QB in 20 years. Think about that for a second, then get back to me. Cousins may not be the best QB in the league, but he has consistently won the majority of his games over the course of his 2 seasons as the official starter for this team. And you guys think we can just draft one, after the experience of QB play here for 20 years? We should just dismiss history as if it means nothing? You don't just find a replacement that easily, or we and 27 other teams would have done so by now.

No...Cousins is not Brady, NO ONE IS BUT TOM BRADY! But he is a top 10 QB in this league and we'll go from that to uncertainty, again because this Front Office is what it is. You think if placed in the same situation for a Steelers team, or a Packers team, Cousins would run in a contract year?

Trade him by the trading deadline, or release him 30 seconds before the trading deadline.

#8 is now, Greedy Bastard.
Edit: After reading his quotes from today, I must amend this to Greedy Lying Bastard.

Excellent post and opinion. The bulk of our fan base misses the main point that Cousins is not a Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, or Brees.

In places like New England, fans would be calling for heads after a 9-7 division championship, an 8 win follow up the next year, and zero playoff wins. That's Kirk Cousins.

Lot's of calls for the head of Drew Brees then? New Orleans has gone 7-9 for three straight years.

Places like New England, Pittsburgh and Green Bay are spoiled rotten by success. That's neither here nor there. 90% of the teams in this league wouldn't jettison a QB after two winning seasons. No team in the history of ever has franchised a QB two seasons in a row. Whether you like Cousins or not, this situation was bungled mightily and it's going to cost this team several years of legitimacy. Again.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's it. Reads like a Bagdad Bob statement.

Greedy Lying Bastard just wants more money. Period.

I listened to the entire interview. Maybe he was being truthful, maybe he wasn't. Who knows? I hope he was.

The one thing that did stand out was that he took the high road and exhibited a level of professionalism far, far beyond any the front office appears capable of performing.

Yes, he's following his coaching from his agent well.

He's a Greedy Lying Bastard.

To say he needs more time to evaluate the team is a joke.

$90 million guaranteed with $28mil a year would have erased the time, immediately.

Unless, no number exists that would make him sign. As his plan is to take his millions this year, and run to the highest bidder next year.

Either scenario makes him a liar. Easy to see.

Mother****er owes us an NFC Championship appearance, this season, at minimum.

Yes, he's following his coaching from his agent well.

He's a Greedy Lying Bastard.

To say he needs more time to evaluate the team is a joke.

$90 million guaranteed with $28mil a year would have erased the time, immediately.

Unless, no number exists that would make him sign. As his plan is to take his millions this year, and run to the highest bidder next year.

Either scenario makes him a liar. Easy to see.

Mother****er owes us an NFC Championship appearance, this season, at minimum.

I did think the need more time to evaluate the team seemed odd.

The entire NFL is made up of greedy lying bastards. If thats not your bag professional sports is probably a bad place to look for entertainment. Shrug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All things being equal- I would too. If being honest, I think most fans of this team would.

Whenever I feel down or depressed, I always reach for one comforting thought.

Bruce Allen has a high paying job. Never, ever give up. Miracles do happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.