• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce Allen Official Statement on Cousins Offer

I guess for some, any offer he wouldn't sign, wasn't a serious offer. Regardless of the number.

Maybe we should have offered him 35% ownership of the team, a billion dollars a year, and the right of Prima Nocta.

A few months ago I tried to tell everyone that Bruce Allen is the problem. Haven't changed my mind one bit. Yeah, no counter offer whatsoever. That speaks volumes.

Today's press release is more about Bruce than it is the Redskins. Bruce is no better than Vinnius Cerratus and VC is no better than Allen the Bruce.

Oh, and that is my new name for him.

Maybe the team should've offered him more than two guaranteed seasons?

What's sad here is that if Cousins was a free agent QB with the Texans or Browns and had put up those kind of numbers, Bruce and Dan would've fired up Redskins One, wined and dined him at Morton's and made him one of the highest paid Qbs on a LTD.

Tell me I'm wrong. If you're honest, you can't.

Maybe the team should've offered him more than two guaranteed seasons?
Maybe they would have if Greedy Bastards agent would have counter offered.

What's sad here is that if Cousins was a free agent QB with the Texans or Browns and had put up those kind of numbers, Bruce and Dan would've fired up Redskins One, wined and dined him at Morton's and made him one of the highest paid Qbs on a LTD.
What's even sadder is, half the people ridiculously bitchin' about "no serious offer being made" now, would be bitchin' that we overpaid for the new FA toy.

Tell me I'm wrong. If you're honest, you can't.
Right back at you.

We two are obviously polar opposites concerning Greedy Bastard.
I haven't seen a number offered I think he's worth. Save the mid to upper teen offer last offseason. I thought it was too high then. But, with a second year of fancy stats, it's more acceptable.
You don't appear to think there's a number too high.

If I was an owner, I wouldn't want to pay too many guaranteed contract years either. It's expensive roulette.

So in Ax's world, you tell a QB, "prove it." He does and you tell him "do it again."

He does. Then you purposely low ball him?

Nice to know your screen name Bruce. :)

Prove what? That he can lose 2 must win games, at home, throwing the interception that eliminated the team from the playoffs?

You can get giddy over stats all you want. He's still just an average QB.

In the last six games last season, he had QB rating over 104 in three games, and rating under 80 in three.
Not to mention the above stated pissing of the pants when it mattered most.
Excuse me for expecting filet mignon, when I pay for filet mignon.

It was a lose-lose for Bruce.
If he doesn't release the details, then all we hear from the media is how cheap and incompetent he is.

It's lose-lose, because if he says something, Cousins didn't sign a long term deal, and if he doesn't say anything, Cousins didn't sign a long term deal.

What defines 'low ball' - the DC sports media on Twitter? The player's agent? My favorite part of the Skins Front Office bashing is media folks pointing out that part of the deal included the guaranteed money from the tag just applied for this coming season - as if that's somehow ripping Cousins off. They aren't going to make an offer and say - oh - and just go ahead and keep the 24 million guaranteed we're giving you as part of this year's tag... It's as if, because he's already tagged, that money doesn't count. That's just an utterly ridiculous idea.

I'm sorry - but Ax is essentially right. Cousins hasn't shown he can win a playoff game. He hasn't shown he can put the team on his back in big time games that matter and carry them. He's a wonderful passer, and he's the best QB we've had in a long time, but he's not even Joe Flacco yet. But he was offered major, major $$. It's fine that he doesn't want it, and it's fine if he doesn't want to be a Redskin.

But he got a lucrative offer - and that was likely not the endpoint in negotiating - you know - had he actually been willing to negotiate.

Welp, because Allen decided to act like a child and blame The Other Guy, Cousins is done here. Right now. The team just completely alienated him and they might as well see what they can get. As usual, well done Redskins, well done.

It's lose-lose, because if he says something, Cousins didn't sign a long term deal, and if he doesn't say anything, Cousins didn't sign a long term deal.

The Redskins have got to have the worst PR team in history. Between the way they mismanaged the McCloughan departure (not necessarily that he didn't need to depart, but their handling of it) and this, I have never seen a more tone deaf group of incompetents in all my life. Other than satisfying some ego issue and possibly trying to dissuade some fans from blaming the Front Office, what in God's name were Allen and Company thinking there was to be gained by publicly blaming Cousins for the failure to ink a LTD???

It doesn't matter if it was all on Cousins and/or his agent - you've just created ill will with the player you say you want to be your QB for a long time to come. It's just plain stupid. And who the hell cares what the fans think. Half this fan base are brain dead homers, and the other half hate Snyder and Allen so much, it doesn't matter what you do, they are going to gut you. In that scenario, you do the SMART thing.

Today was not smart, no matter how you want to slice and dice it.

As Sonny (Corleone, not Jurgensen) once said 'It ain't personal. It's business.'

Welp, because Allen decided to act like a child and blame The Other Guy, Cousins is done here. Right now. The team just completely alienated him and they might as well see what they can get. As usual, well done Redskins, well done.

I agree (obviously - since I just typed the same sentiment). But let's be honest - he is obviously already 'alienated'. Today probably just put the icing on the cake.

I don't think the problem is Allen said something about Kirk not signing, but what he said and how it was said is the problem. His body language and tone said it all. He has alienated Cousins so he is gone. Problem is how was this received in the locker room? Will future FA even want to come now?

So now, project the future at QB.

Say we're lucky enough to draft somebody that busts out in year two or three.

Now one, it's a shame to go down this road because guys like Reed and Williams will be that much older and you've essentially wasted their prime because the GM botched the QB spot this time.

But say the kid passes for 4500 yds. Bruce pull this stunt again?

Tag Tag tag?

Btw, where's Doug Williams in all of this? Is he getting the Bobby Mitchell treatment or does he have any clout in player personnel?

Bruce Allen's legacy is that he will forever be known as the guy who let a homegrown franchise Qb get out the door in DC. Something that Redskins fans never thought could happen.

His name will basically be mud.

Williams is just a glorified scout - zero juice in his role. That's why he was nowhere to be seen today. I've always felt Allen was a suit - a corporate guy, not a true football mind. That's pretty worrisome, especially since the only guys who do know football either get let go, get plucked by other teams, or are kept in lower level positions or are promoted in title only.

I don't understand our plan - it's really mystifying. I get not wanting to pay Cousins like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. That could even be characterized as growth by this Front Office. What I don't get is, if the relationship is damaged beyond repair, why would we continue to tag the guy vs. getting what we can in a trade? Would we really try and keep him here in 2018 at a huge cost when he seemingly would rather be anywhere else?

And you hit the biggest nail on the head DP. If Cousins isn't going to be the long-term guy (and at this point, how can anyone believe he will be?), we are going to see a lot of our talent age out while we try to find an adequate replacement. We are building something. Now it just feels like it's all going to be for naught.

Only wildcard I can think of in this situation? What if it's the Redskins and not the Eagles or Dallas who dominate this year? What if we make it to the NFC Championship? What then? Does Cousins still walk?

In other words, Cousins was already in line to make a minimum of $52.7 million over the next two seasons without sacrificing the leverage of going year-to-year on his contract. Allen and the organization wanted him to give up that leverage and leave nearly $40 million on the table for an additional $300,000. Even if you want to believe that Cousins should take a conservative approach in a league in which the attrition rate is perilously high, there's no way to make that math credibly work. This wasn't the sort of record-setting, no-brainer offer the organization is suggesting in Allen's statement. It's barely a credible one given Cousins' current leverage.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...blew-faces-hard-truths-nfl-2017-training-camp

I never thought I would want to see Vinny back, but BA is giving me that thought.

Why are we wondering in the football wilderness for 40 years?

Fire Bruce and hire Dave Gettleman.

Guy can build a roster.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've seen that. I'm not going to take seriously a statement that essentially starts with 'setting aside the 24 million guaranteed the Redskins are on the hook for...'. Cousins doesn't want to get paid. He's wants to be able to buy his own country. The ridiculous thing is, the Redskins could franchise Cousins again next season, and according to the $$'s Cousins and his agent are apparently demanding, still save money.

We don't and won't know anytime soon what the Redskins were and are willing to pay Cousins - because there was no negotiation here. The geniuses on Twitter say 'They were so offended by the lowball Redskins offer, of course they refused to negotiate!'. Huh? Now that makes a lot of sense. They didn't offer me what I wanted so I just refused to talk further. You show me an agent in the world who has that as a business model. I'll sit and wait for that.

Don't get me wrong. Kirk has every right in the world to accept or refuse to entertain any offer he wants. But don't tell me it's not about the money. And don't tell me the Redskins are low-balling him. Those are both farcical assertions.

Fire Bruce and hire Dave Gettleman.

Guy can build a roster.

You had me at fire Bruce.

Honestly, I'd be more comfortable with Doug Williams in there than Allen - at least the guy knows football and isn't going to make negotiations a dick-measuring contest.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've seen that. I'm not going to take seriously a statement that essentially starts with 'setting aside the 24 million guaranteed the Redskins are on the hook for...'. Cousins doesn't want to get paid. He's wants to be able to buy his own country. The ridiculous thing is, the Redskins could franchise Cousins again next season, and according to the $$'s Cousins and his agent are apparently demanding, still save money.

Don't get me wrong. Kirk has every right in the world to accept or refuse to entertain any offer he wants. But don't tell me it's not about the money. And don't tell me the Redskins are low-balling him. Those are both farcical assertions.

Well, I've also read fans that say Kirk should be grateful and take whatever the team gives him.

Who in the hell operates like that? If you bust your ass and produce, why should you accept whatever the "benevolent team", graciously throws on the table?

Don't understand that line of thinking either.

How bout this? I got you a division title and rewrote your record book. Let's start at Carr's contract and go from there,since I've done more than he has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.