• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Broncos not letting Shanahan raid coaching staff

BGO

As Josh Alper noted in today's one-liners, the Broncos have told running backs coach Bobby Turner he can't talk to the Redskins, who would like him to re-join Mike Shanahan in Washington.The Denver Post has reported that in addition to...

More...

I'm getting an impression here-admittedly based on little verifiable information-that the Redskins are on a serious "fill-the-coaching-staff-with-the-best-available" hunt that could turn ugly. I'll explain.

Normally I don't follow the "if so-and-so says something I won't believe it" pattern because, frankly, I consider that attitude too often excludes useful information for no good reason-however, I also don't automatically buy into reports from sources considered suspect. One of those is PFT. The reason is that I have seen posts on numerous fan forums both Redskins and other teams pointing out cases where the "story" was based on rumor and was not entirely factual.

O.K., given all that, this report about the Broncos not letting Bobby Turner talk to the Redskins is now all over the place on fan forums-most Redskins news updates get their own thread on other fan forums now, by the way, we seem to be "hot NFL news".

Anyway, I got curious about something that was mentioned in another thread-in fact I think I brought it up in a tongue-in-cheek post. Bobby April as special teams coach/coordinator (pick whichever nomenclature works for you). And, yes, the word is now out that the Redskins are interested in him. Or, to reflect the reports more accurately. Dan Snyder is interested in him. (the phrasing of that is sure to induce paranoia).

Here's what I mean. Chuck Carroll of Football News Now.

Report: Redskins Want Bobby April for Special Teams
By Chuck Carroll
Football News Now Staff Writer
January 7, 2010

Bobby April

The Washington Redskins are interested in adding former Buffalo Bills special teams coach Bobby April to their staff.

A well placed source said that owner Daniel Snyder is interested in him and that he is willing to spend the money to assemble the very best coaching staff possible according to Mike Florio of PFT.

April would make a solid addition to any franchise in the league, let alone the Washington Redskins. His special teams units were considered to be among the best in the NFL.

The current Redskins coaching staff began their meeting with Mike Shanahan early Thursday morning at Redskins Park. No word yet on pink slips, but plenty are expected.

You might suspect, and it would be entirely correct, that the use of the phrase "Dan Dnyder wants" would set off a flurry of comments everywhere. Yup, it has. Being meddlesome confers distrust.

Getting back to the "impression" I was talking about. There's talk about Zimmer, talk about Bobby Turner, talk about Bobby April and Shanny has said he wants to put together the best staff of coaching assistants he can backed up by a free-spending billionaire owner and the most profitable franchise in the league.

This is where the potentially ugly part comes in. Denver seems to be anticipating a Shanahan coaching raid and my wonder would be this-is this going to turn into a feeding-frenzy/bidding war over any coach whose contract is up and whose resume looks to have a Redskin-friendly upside? Or, rather, a Shanahan-friendly upside? If so, then my question becomes could other NFL owners decide to pull a circle-the-wagons maneuver effectively locking out potentially good coaching additions from the Redskins' grasp?

The Redskins can get around some of this by offering an assistant a 'promotion'.

Teams can't prevent that but they can prevent lateral moves.

So if Shanahan wants to hire one coach he feels is important to have on staff he can offer him a title like 'Asst Head Coach'.

I think that rule was put into place at the same time the Rooney Rule was mandated, so that teams could not hold capable assistants hostage so they could not move up the ladder.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The Redskins can get around some of this by offering an assistant a 'promotion'.

Teams can't prevent that but they can prevent lateral moves.

So if Shanahan wants to hire one coach he feels is important to have on staff he can offer him a title like 'Asst Head Coach'.

I think that rule was put into place at the same time the Rooney Rule was mandated, so that teams could not hold capable assistants hostage so they could not move up the ladder.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This is what I thought, but the article you posted has a link to another article that says the Titans wouldn't let the Texans interview their OL coach Mike Munchak to fill the now-vacant OC role in Houston. OL coach to Offensive Coordinator is certainly a promotion and not a lateral move, but the Titans were able to block it.

I see, the other team can block any move other than that to head coach (unless its a current head coach, then draft picks are given like in the Gruden case).

NFL rules permit teams with assistant coaches under contract to refuse requests to interview those assistants for any job other than head coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.