• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Say no to QBs rated by the Redskins as second rounders and beyond.

Blackjack

Camp Fodder
Reaction score
A scenario I see thrown around way too often is that a LT should be taken first, then a quarterback can be taken in the second round or later.

In the hypothetical situation that the Redskins do not find a quarterback worth taking in the first round, they should not take a quarterback in any round after that.

Now, if a quarterback rated by the Redskins scouting department to be first round material falls to the second round, then by all means take him. But if a quarterback is not rated as a first round prospect... Then do not take him. This team has too many holes to waste a pick on a quarterback that will be used as a "project". Projects are luxury picks, and that's not something we can afford.

QB in Round 1 or no QB at all.

Problem is, history doesn't support your position - that somehow, any team selecting a 1st round QB is somehow more secure or surefire than those making a selection in later rounds. See Bulldog's well-researched post. It's just not factual.

Drafting a QB, with few exceptions, is an absolute crapshoot. You're only partly wrong. You're right to distrust the Redskins picking a QB in rounds beyond the first. You just need to be equally skeptical about the likelihood of us picking the right one in the first round. And its not because it's the Redskins. It's because history shows many 1st round QB draft picks don't turn into franchise QBs. And many chosen later do.

I understand your nervousness - I feel it too. But it's not based on the evidence.

3 names for you:
Heath Schuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell.

The last 3 QBs the Redskins have taken in the 1st round if memory serves correctly.

Take that as you will.

Personally if the Skins spent the 1st two rounds addressing O-line and the rest of the picks on RB/OLB/or other positions, it's perfectly fine by me.
Not saying Jason is the answer......but I'm not sold on any of these high 1st round QBs for this draft.

Last edited:
I think Mike Shanahan will draft a QB in the 2nd round. While Campbell will get resigned and will be the starting QB in 2010 he will develop this 2nd round pick and then he can decide about the future in 2011. 1st round pick has to be a LT, even if Samuals is coming back, which I doubt he is.

There's no way of knowing currently what Shanahan thinks of Campbell. That alone will drive who we go after, or even IF we go after a QB. Since I believe the Shanahan deal has been in the works for months, I have to think coach has spent a lot of time reviewing JC. What we don't know is where his open assessment of Campbell would place him.

I'm highly skeptical what he's seen has sold him on Campbell as the future of his tenure with the Redskins. We're fans - it's more difficult for us to assess Campbell objectively because we want him to succeed, to develop into 'the guy' and thus tend to minimize his challenges, and overstate his strengths. Shanahan won't have that problem. He's got a lifetime of experience looking at physical ability and intangibles. If we pick a QB in the first 2 rounds, that's likely the death knell for Campbell as it'll signal Shanahan doesn't believe he can ultimately get it done. We've got too many needs to use a day 1 pick on a QB if we don't believe he'll develop into a starter IMHO.

I'm in the minority in that, I believe we'll use our top pick on a QB. I'm also in the minority in that I don't think that will signal the end of the world.

I believe with the success of later round QB's that any time one of potential drops past the 5th round that they should be picked. (Maybe every other year)

3 names for you:
Heath Schuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell.

The last 3 QBs the Redskins have taken in the 1st round if memory serves correctly.

Take that as you will.

Personally if the Skins spent the 1st two rounds addressing O-line and the rest of the picks on RB/OLB/or other positions, it's perfectly fine by me.
Not saying Jason is the answer......but I'm not sold on any of these high 1st round QBs for this draft.

In 1994, nine quarterbacks were taken with Gus Frerotte being the only quarterback drafted outside of the first round to accomplish anything. Even then, he has never been a franchise quarterback here or anywhere, even when he had a team with the perfect surroundings such as in Minnesota. Ironically, two undrafted free agents did accomplish a lot (Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner).

In 2002, out of fifteen quarterbacks, only David Garrard make something out of himself outside of the first round. Even then, with a solid defense (not so much these past couple of years) and running game in place, Garrard has not shown to be a franchise-caliber quarterback despite the expensive contract he obtained from his one season throwing 18TD and 3INT.

In 2005, out of 14 quarterbacks, only Matt Cassel has proven himself to be worth anything outside of the first round... And the jury's still out on him.

I'm not saying we have to take a quarterback in the first round, but I guess my point is, if we're not sold on anybody in the first round, we definitely shouldn't be sold on anyone outside of the first round, either. We have too many holes to be wasting a pick on looking for the next Tom Brady.

As long as there isn't a Maurice Clarett in the mix, I am ok.

I believe with the success of later round QB's that any time one of potential drops past the 5th round that they should be picked. (Maybe every other year)

Would you put Colt Brennan in this category?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.