• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Om Field: Jim Haslett ... really?

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
According to our old friend Jason LaCanfora ... Following up on the Redskins defensive coordinator search, which I touched on earlier this week. The Redskins are very interested in Mike Zimmer as a defensive coordinator, but could face competition from other clubs looking to hire the Bengals coordinator as a head coach.The Redskins are prepared to meet with Zimmer this weekend should the

More...

Zimmer’s Defensive Rankings

In Dallas
1999 (Rank for year prior to his start for reference) - 9th
2000 – 19th
2001 – 4th
2002 – 18th
2003 – 1st
2004 – 16th
2005 (Switched to a 3-4) – 10th
2006 – 13th
2007 – (Rank for year after he left) – 9th

In Atlanta
2006 - (Rank for year prior to his start) – 22nd
2007 – 29th
2008 - (Rank for year after he left) – 24th

In Cincinnati
2007 – (Rank for year prior to his start) – 27th
2008 – 12th
2009 – 4th

Redskins’ overall Defensive Rankings for Reference

1999 – 30th
2000 – 4th
2001 – 10th
2002 – 5th
2003 –25th
2004 – 3rd
2005 – 9th
2006 – 31st
2007 – 8th
2008 – 4th
2009 – 10th

Updated and edited the piece to include his 2-year DC stint with the Rams in '06-'07.

It didn't help his case.

I don't understand how according to 'reports' Shanahan is interested in installing a 3-4 defense here.

Albert Haynesworth is NOT going to play nose tackle or a gap eating DE in that alignment.

The Redskins also don't have 4 linebackers to start.

McIntosh is only 229. Blades is 5'10 and 240. Fletcher is 5'10 and 248.

Orakpo is 6'4 and 263 but he is a natural DE.

The 3-4 here would be a mess personnel-wise.

And with the problems on offense, now is not the time to be completely overhauling a defense that was solid if unspectacular in 2009.

Um...Jerry Gray.

Zimmer is a zero...same with Haslett.

I have been thinking about this. Does it concern anyone that if Gray is given the position, we are looking at the same scheme as Blache/Williams? I for one am tired of seeing the corners 15 yards off the receivers on the 3rd and 8 situations.

According to an article I found in the Bleacher Report about Zimmer, it was Parcells that wanted the change to a 3-4 defense.

Zimmer primarily implemented a 4-3 defense during his tenure with the Cowboys. However, after giving up the fewest yards in the league with a speedy and aggressive 4-3 scheme in 2004, new head coach Bill Parcells would still ask him to switch to the 3-4 defense upon is arrival to the Cowboys in 2005.

When the question of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 at Cincinnati the personnel dictated the decision.

When Cincinnati pegged Zimmer as their defensive leader there was speculation that Zimmer would transition the Bengals from a 4-3 to a 3-4, but the team’s personnel didn’t allow for it to happen.

The 3-4 requires a big and strong nose tackle up front, to draw double teams and open up rushing lanes for linebackers. In addition, you need to have a nice stable of pass-rushing outside linebackers to make it efficient. After missing out on acquiring both Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson last off-season, the Bengals opted to stay with the 4-3. The decision appears to have been the right move.

Zimmer apparently did have success bring out the best in his corners.

Zimmer’s mark was also felt in the secondary where the Bengals saw vast improvements in their young cornerbacks, former first-round picks Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall.

The players love playing for Zimmer. His approach connects and inspires them to perform at a higher level. This was evident this off-season as two former players, veterans Tank Johnson and Roy Williams, rejoined their former coach in Cincinnati despite opportunities elsewhere.

Both Johnson and Williams excelled in a 4-3 defense, but suffered in the Cowboys’ 3-4 system. They are looking forward to getting back to the basics with Zimmer.

Here's the link to the entire article.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178890-bengals-the-zimmer-touch

If anything, this may be a preliminary test of just what Shanny has in mind, and-to me especially-whether his reputation for doing things "his way" no matter what is deserved or just typical emotion based hyperbole.

I have been thinking about this. Does it concern anyone that if Gray is given the position, we are looking at the same scheme as Blache/Williams? I for one am tired of seeing the corners 15 yards off the receivers on the 3rd and 8 situations.

Amen.......
The bend don't break scheme and the patented 10 yard cushions of Gray/Jackson frankly suck.

I don't get the hype of Jerry Gray.....the secondary play at best has been pretty lousy since he's been here. The Skins refused to use Barnes who they drafted in the 3rd.
Carlos Rogers has regressed as a NFL player. And with exception to Hall, no corner can catch a pass. The Corner play has been pretty weak and that blame should at least be partially on the coach.

So why would we want Gray as a DC?

these stats are an eye-opener since i always thought of haslett as a solid d coordinator. maybe gray does survive the transition...

Well, Shanahan will get his shot at Zim sooner rather than later...

I know everyone is all over Zimmer for improving Cincinnati's defense, but Lewis is pretty much a defensive head coach.

I don't see a whole lot attractive about Zimmer.

I'm in agreement, I don't see the great attraction with Zimmer. His stats don't appear to be a whole lot better than Haslett.

Somebody help me see the error of my ways.:help:

One of the toughest things for an OC or DC to do is to show their own identity at the position with a HC who is active in that particular arena. Word of mouth, conversations and such bring a guy's name up and a New HC will be interested to hear what he has to say.

Coach could be looking for something particular from a DC and while these guys have not blown the doors off in stats, they may have a certain trait that Coach wants to exploit. In turn, he will surround them with guys who can help with whatever weaknesses they have.

There is a ton that goes into this but it will be interesting to see who Coach picks.

We need to get a DC that will be aggressive and put the players in the position to make plays. Enough with the sitting 10 yards off the receiver when its 3rd and 1.. What kind of fool thinks thats a brilliant strategy... A child would be able to tell thats dumb.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/12/bengals-keep-mike-zimmer/

per PFT - Bengals keep Mike Zimmer

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was considered one of the most sought-after assistant coaches in the NFL this off-season, with the Redskins and Dolphins among the teams that were reportedly interested in his services. But he's not going anywhere.

Steve Wyche of NFL.com reports that Zimmer has re-signed with Cincinnati.

There's no word on the details of Zimmer's contract, but considering that he had Dan Snyder's deep pockets to use as leverage, it's probably safe to say that the Bengals gave Zimmer a hefty raise.

The Bengals hired Zimmer as their defensive coordinator in 2008. He has previously worked for the Cowboys and Falcons.

UPDATE: Wyche reports that Zimmer signed a three-year contract.

Last edited:
Getting closer to keeping Gray... ugh.

Not necessarily, Neo. One thing I've noticed about Shanahan throughout his career ... he likes to do things his own way. Way I see it there are probably any number of other prosective DC names--some familiar and obvious, some not--that he and Allen are vetting right now.

It's just January 12th, and the dust from the Shanny hiring hasn't even settled yet. If this process takes another few days, even a couple of weeks, I'm not going to sweat it.

As to the possibility of retaining Gray ... I'm prepared to give MS/Allen the benefit of the doubt and figure that if they DO, it's because they're convinced he can give them what they want.

It's probably unfair to paint Gray with the broad brush blame for the secondary's obvious woes this year. I don't know, for example, if he's the one who put Landry at FS and left him there even after he proved utterly unfit ... or if he's the one responsible for 12 yard cushions by the CB's on 3rd-and-9 ... those were quite possibly handicaps he simply had to work with/around given Blache ran the defense, called the plays, and that people at a higher pay grade than Gray made the decisions about who played where, when, etc.

Just sayin' ... I'm not going to get antsy on DC just yet. And if it's Gray, well, we've been given no reason to assume yet that Shanahan/Allen are clueless.

Yet. :)

Last edited:
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/12/gray-formally-interviews-for-redskins-coordinator-job/

per Jason La Canfora Gray formally interviews for Redskins’ coordinator job

Jerry Gray, the Redskins’ secondary coach and someone who interviewed for the head-coaching job earlier this season, is formally interviewing for the defensive coordinator position Tuesday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Former Saints coach Jim Haslett interviewed for the job Monday, according to sources, and another top candidate, Mike Zimmer, re-signed with the Bengals earlier Tuesday.

New Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is putting together a staff that will include his son, Kyle, as offensive coordinator. Bob Slowik, Shanahan’s former defensive coordinator in Denver, almost is certain to join the staff in some capacity. Gray also could remain in his current position should he not be promoted to defensive coordinator.

The Redskins’ current defensive coordinator Greg Blache is expected to retire.

Steve Jackson, the Redskins’ safeties coach, also is scheduled to interview with team officials Tuesday for a position coaching defensive backs.

The Redskins are scheduled to meet with Bobby April about coaching special teams, according to sources. April recently left the Bills.

Shanahan also is expected to hire Richard Mann to coach wide receivers and Bobby Turner to coach running backs.

You know its funny, but I read alot over on the other board that people seem to think that it was Gray who has the corners playing off the line......If anything, I would say everything Gray did up to this point shows he is not on the same page philisophically (sp) with the rest of the coaching staff.

Would love to be a fly on the wall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.