• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Which draft will perform better this year - 2014, 2015 or maybe 2016?

Riggotoni

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Lost among all the controversy over whether or not there was drunken behavior or control issues that led to the firing of McC, one factor no one seems to consider was the emergence of the initially disappointing draft class of 2014 and the regression of an initially dynamic class of 2015, not to mention an injured underperforming class of 2016.
Preston Smith led all rookies in sacks, but a dreadful sophomore slump was punctuated by the impressive performance of Trent Murphy. Morgan Moses beat Scherff for the RT spot, and pushed him inside to guard. Spencer Long grew to be a competent center, while Arie Koundijio is somewhere stuck between backup and bust. Despite problems that may be the product of bad coaching, Breeland still looks like a starter, whereas 2016 rookie Fuller was still struggling with injuries. Crowder looks like the only exceptional value pick from 2015.

If Preston Smith gets double digit sacks, the 2015 draft will look considerably better. If he does so and Kuondijio breaks into the starting line-up, it will look like a home run. If last year repeats itself, it will deservedly be rated as a disappointment.

Perhaps more intriguing are our top 3 picks of 2016, all of whom were injured or dealing with a lengthy recovery. If the light goes on for them in the next year or two, then great. If not, then maybe we need to accept that McC may in fact have been horribly overrated by a fan base desperate for a savior.

I think that's why it's best to wait 3-5 years before grading a draft class. 1 or 2 years isn't usually enough to claim success, or failure.

But you're right, it's interesting to ponder. I'll be rooting for them all. As I'm sure most will.

...Morgan Moses beat Scherff for the RT spot, and pushed him inside to guard....

This is wildly inaccurate. They moved Scherff inside because we were dreadfully desperate for a RG and Scherff was more than capable of sliding over, unlike Moses who fits one slot only. The chemistry between the two fit, Scherff was so good, he was able to mask some of Moses' faults as Moses got better.

Scherff was not "beaten out" of any position.

As for the rest of the post, only time will tell. Like you said, first season looked great, second not so much...what is the duration of playing time that will make you decide which class was better? Kinda sounds like your mind is already made up.

The few games I was able to catch I did pay attention to Preston Smith. It seems he takes plays off a lot but can come up with a good drive stop on occasion as well. Consistency is his kryptonite.

Last edited:
Preston does take plays off that's where we missed pot roast and that DE who provided leadership and got on him when he missed plays
Elephant is right Scherff was not beaten out by Moses but he improved so much that that Scherff was moved to guard because long can play multiple positions it was better for him to be a backup and come in if someone got injured.
Our line was a weakness now it's not the greatest but is better and we do have guys that can be solid starters as backups

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.