• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Promote Doug Williams

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
June 13, 2017

REDSKINS PROMOTE DOUG WILLIAMS TO SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have promoted Doug Williams to Senior Vice President of Player Personnel.

Williams is a veteran of 20 NFL seasons, including nine as a player and 11 in scouting/personnel roles. Prior to joining the Redskins’ personnel department in 2014, Williams spent five seasons as Personnel Executive with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2004-08 before being named the team’s Director of Pro Personnel for the 2009 season.

A member of the 80 Greatest Redskins and a Redskins Ring of Famer, Williams played with the Redskins from 1986-89 and led Washington to a Super Bowl XXII title, a 42-10 rout of the Denver Broncos. Williams, the first African-American quarterback to play in a Super Bowl, completed 18-of-29 passes for 340 yards with four touchdown passes to earn Super Bowl XXII MVP honors.

Williams, a first-round pick by Tampa Bay in the 1978 NFL Draft (No. 17 overall), led the Buccaneers to the first three playoff appearances in team history. In 1986, the Redskins traded for Williams’ rights following two seasons with the USFL’s Oklahoma Outlaws. In Williams’ Super Bowl XXII MVP performance following the 1987 season, he set or tied several Super Bowl passing records, including most TD passes (four), most yards passing (340), longest pass completion (80 yards) and longest TD pass (80 yards).

Williams joined the Buccaneers’ front office in 2004 following a successful tenure as head coach at his alma mater, Grambling State University, and one of the most storied playing careers in league and team history. His responsibilities in Tampa included coordinating the scouting and recruiting of all NFL players, while also monitoring NFL transactions and overseeing player tryouts. In addition, he was in charge of Tampa Bay’s evaluating efforts of all other professional football leagues, including the Canadian Football League.

In six seasons during his first tenure (1998-2003) at Grambling State, Williams brought one of the most storied programs in college football history back to prominence, compiling a 52-18 record as head coach after succeeding the legendary Eddie Robinson, who was at the helm for 57 years from 1941-97 and re-wrote the record books as the winningest coach in the history of college football with 408 career wins.

Williams led the Tigers to three consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference titles from 2000-02 as they were named National Black College Champions during the same three-year span. He was also named SWAC Coach of the Year in each of those three seasons. Williams was a two-time finalist for The Sports Network Eddie Robinson (Division I-AA) National Coach of the Year. He rejoined the program for three seasons from 2011-13, including earning the SWAC title in his first season back in 2011.

Williams started his college head coaching career at Morehouse College in 1997. He also has previous NFL experience as a scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 1995 and as offensive coordinator for the Scottish Claymores of the World League in 1995 and tutoring running backs for Navy in 1994. Williams also excelled on the high school level as head coach and athletic director at Point Coupee H.S. in New Roads, La., in 1991. In 1993, he was head coach at Northeast H.S. in his hometown of Zachary, La., where he guided the team to a 13-1 record and the state semifinals, including a win over Peyton Manning’s Isidore Newman squad in the 1993 state quarterfinals.

As Grambling’s quarterback from 1974-77, Williams had a spectacular college career, passing for more than 8,000 yards and 93 touchdowns, leading the Tigers to three National Black College National Championships and two SWAC titles. He posted a 35-5 record as a starter and finished fourth in voting for the 1977 Heisman Trophy.

In 2005, Williams and Shack Harris established The Shack Harris & Doug Williams Foundation with the function of providing grants for after-school initiatives, leadership development, mentoring programs and minority higher education assistance for economically disadvantaged youth. In March of 2009, the foundation put on its first annual Washington Football Legends for Charity in Washington, D.C. In 2010, the foundation established the Black College Football Hall of Fame, which will move to its new home in Canton, Ohio in 2018.

After Super Bowl XLII, the NFL honored the 20th anniversary of Williams’ Super Bowl XXII victory, as Williams was chosen to present the Lombardi Trophy to the New York Giants following their victory over the New England Patriots.

Williams and his wife, Raunda, have eight children: Ashley, Adrian, Carmeleta, Doug, Jr., Jasmine, Laura, Lee and Temessia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno. We'll likely get the transcript of comments/media questions later and maybe that will shed light. Seems like this would indicate what many believed, that Allen is the defacto GM and that they are unlikely to bring in a true GM who has true control of football operations. I certainly don't think Doug Williams has the juice to play that role.

Way I'm reading it, we're going with a GM-by-committee approach with Allen having final say. Which I'm sure raises the hair on the back of a lot of our necks, but, also seems to be how we handled the draft this year....

Would like to have seen a strong, proven GM brought in, but at this point I am willing to see if things pan out. This year at least seems like a good start…

He says hopefully.

And after this year Allen will have lasted longer at the job than Vinny while producing almost the exact same bag full of nothing.

WHOOPEE!!!

And after this year Allen will have lasted longer at the job than Vinny while producing almost the exact same bag full of nothing.

WHOOPEE!!!

If we're going to evaluate Allen based on his tenure "after this year", wouldn't it make sense to wait until after this year, to see if it actually produces nothing ?

I don't like it. Reports I've seen suggest that Doug Williams cannot spot true talent. Let's hire Dexter Manley next. I love these guys, and sentiment is great...but I want to win!

I'm not putting a lot of stock in "reports" about his talent-eval skills. No idea what actual role he played in Tampa, or how their scouting and personnel depts overall perform ... and unless I've missed it I've never seen his name associated with any specific player acquisition, be it good or bad. If I have, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Doug will need the same chance to fit and then grow into his new role (assuming it's new in any way more than title), within the actual framework of scouts and the rest of the current Skins player eval team, as anyone else would have, regardless of pedigree.

And anyway ... who among us doesn't love Doug's unique speaking style and diction? :)

Well yeah, there is that.

I'ma little confused.
If it's GM-by-committee, and Bruce makes the final call, then why are some people speaking as if Doug is the man calling all the shots ?

You don't get the title of Senior Vice President of Player Personnel unless you will have significant impact on player acquisition, to think otherwise is absurd.

I am inclined to think that the Redskins (and specifically Snyder and Allen) never had any intent to cede all football decision-making to a true GM. McCloughan was damaged goods when the Redskins hired him and they had him over a barrel from the outset. I think they gave him the GM title but never intended that he would be a true independent GM. They may even have told him that - hence all the 'the Redskins make the decision' stuff when asked who had ultimate authority - and perhaps McCloughan as time went on began to resent that and attempted to push that line.

If they wanted a GM, they'd simply have gone out and found a replacement. Doug Williams strikes me as a guy who they know they can control and who doesn't have the juice to demand complete control. They likely feel with his history with the team, that fans won't squawk much about them not hiring a real GM.

I know that's a little cynical sounding, but I just think this is what's going on.

It's ironic that two other teams that don't have a 'traditional' front office structure, New England and Pittsburgh, are two of the most successful teams in the league.

At the end of the day having a GM in charge is overrated as 50% of the GMs out there can't do the job.

Look at guys like Ryan Grigson in Indianapolis. He wasted the first half of Andrew Luck's career with poor personnel decisions and putting a mediocre team around him.

But the team had a GENERAL MANAGER :laugh:

Guess the magic is all in the title.

That's a sucker's choice argument Bulldog. Because the GM you might find might suck is not an argument not to pursue one. The biggest argument for the Redskins to consider is Snyder's notorious history of interference and Allen's thoroughly unimpressive resume when it comes to the football side of things. Of course there are other approaches that can be successful. That's not exactly a compelling argument for not going the GM route. Not having a legitimate GM hasn't exactly paved the way for Redskins glory over the past 2 decades, has it? :)

And if the Redskins we're looking for a legitimate GM, I doubt seriously it would've been Doug Williams. Why? Because he'd likely be out of his depth - which is why we should all have a healthy dose of skepticism that he's going to have any independence or power in his new role.

[I said:
Fear The Spear;343417]So he's going from Director of Pro Personnel, to Senior Vice President of Player Personnel.
What does that entail exactly, for all of us "non-pro-player-personnel" people ?[/I]

Typically the Director of Pro Personnel deals mostly with Free Agent contract negotiation and scouting all the other NFL teams. He reports to the GM. Different teams add duties but that's the thumbnail sketch.

Senior Vice President of Player Personnel is a position that works with players, scouts & coaches for guys already with the Redskins and the overall scouting department. Pretty much communicates with everyone in the organization. Hard to say exactly what Doug's duties are as the position has a lot of variables but he immediately expanded the scouting department and promoted some in-house scouts. He probably handles at least some of the current player negotiation (I think he handled the recent Hall deal).

Allen has interviewed some potential GM's but it's kinda looking like they won't need one.

That's a sucker's choice argument Bulldog. Because the GM you might find might suck is not an argument not to pursue one. The biggest argument for the Redskins to consider is Snyder's notorious history of interference and Allen's thoroughly unimpressive resume when it comes to the football side of things. Of course there are other approaches that can be successful. That's not exactly a compelling argument for not going the GM route. Not having a legitimate GM hasn't exactly paved the way for Redskins glory over the past 2 decades, has it? :)

And if the Redskins we're looking for a legitimate GM, I doubt seriously it would've been Doug Williams. Why? Because he'd likely be out of his depth - which is why we should all have a healthy dose of skepticism that he's going to have any independence or power in his new role.

This right here.

I don't care what the Steelers or the Patriot or whoever does. We aren't them.

All this move tells me is that we are seeing the same old Redskins, and they are making a big ceremony of re-arranging the deck chairs.

And are we laughing at Indianapolis now? Because while we were foodling about with RG3 they put up three straight 11-5 seasons. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd KILL for three straight 11-5 seasons at this point. The Redskins haven't won 11 games since 1991. Three seasons in a row? That's unheard of in this town.

So yeah. Not so funny.

Last edited:
I've been watching the Doug Williams situation since OTAs began. I mostly ignored the rumors and speculation, but did focus on what he did during OTAs and mini camp.

He was often talking with various players before and after practice. He would talk to DeAngelo Hall. Josh Norman. Rob Kelley. Colt McCoy. Terrelle Pryor. Will Compton. Kirk Cousins. And many more. On the first day of mini camp this week, Doug talked extensively with Matt Jones on the sideline while practice was underway. Jones was very focused on what Doug was saying.

I get the sense that this is his new role or just a continuation of it, but with a different title. A liaison of sorts. An encouraging voice. A glorified cheerleader. An on field counselor. An ear to lend to a player. He is quite good at these things. Matt Jones was very attentive to him and you could see it in those videos.

I think this is a good move and the players seem to like it. That's important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.