• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Sign T Morgan Moses to Multi-Year Extension

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 27, 2017

REDSKINS SIGN T MORGAN MOSES TO MULTI-YEAR EXTENSION

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed tackle Morgan Moses to a multi-year contract extension. Full terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Moses (6-6, 335) was originally selected by the Redskins in the third round (66th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 40 career regular season games with 33 starts, including starting each of the last 32 regular season games for the Redskins since earning a starting role prior to the 2015 campaign.

“I look back at the past three years and being here and just being blessed to play here – and I look back at three years ago where I was at the draft – to be here where I’m one of the first guys in my class to sign a big extension, it just shows you that if you stay blessed and you stay true to your process, anything can happen,” Moses said. “It’s a big deal for me to be here because I have so many things in the community that are working for me and for others here, so to be here and be hands-on with it, it’s going to allow me to do some great things.”

After being limited to eight games by a Lisfranc injury in 2014, Moses has since become one of five Redskins players to start all 16 regular season games in each of the last two seasons. Moses’ teammates awarded him with the team’s Ed Block Courage Award for his play in 2015 following his comeback from the injury.

Since the 2014 season in which the Redskins allowed 58 sacks, the Redskins have allowed only 50 total sacks in Moses’ two seasons as a full-time starter from 2015-16, the second-fewest in the NFL in that time frame. Last season, Moses and his offensive line colleagues helped power the Redskins to single-season team records in yards per game (403.4), yards per play (6.40), net passing yards (4,758), completions (407), passing first downs (226) and 500-yard games (three).

Moses played collegiately at Virginia, where he started 42 of the 48 career games in which he played. He earned second-team All-ACC honors as a senior in 2013, helping the Cavaliers produce their first 1,000-yard rusher since 2004.

Moses, 26, attended Meadowbrook H.S. in Richmond, Va., becoming a two-time all-state, all-region and all-district selection. He was born March 3, 1991.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the situation at quarterback, I'm pretty pleased with the moves made so far this offseason. I'd like to see a home run threat, or the Swiss Army knife McCaffrey, added to the backfield and the rest of the picks used to add defensive talent.

McCaffrey is a pipe dream but crazier things have happened.

I remember a few people wanting to cut him after his first season

According to ESPN 980 Moses is now the second-highest paid RT in the NFL. Ok.

I have to ask (sorry), is Moses better at his position than Cousins is?

Can of worms aside, I am pleased we re-signed him. Nice quiet re-signings of good home-grown players makes me happy. :)

Except for the captain we have been doing a good job of keeping good guys. And we get to do it before he becomes a free agent so it will be cheaper than next year.
In 2014 the line gave up 58 sacks last 2 years 50 sacks total.

Moses is the second highest paid RT now.

But things with him were done smartly. Quiet negotiations, a player clearly going into his prime who didn't chime in about being a free agent and 'testing his value', and a good contract as an outcome.

Now compare that to what BOTH sides did in the Cousins debacle.

The team slighted him early on and didn't want to believe he had improved to the degree that was obvious to everyone else.

At the same time, Cousins' camp was being ridiculous in thinking that the one year franchise after 2015 meant that ANY deal long-term had to pay him among the top 5 quarterbacks in the game.

When guys get the franchise tag, the 'deal' that usually is arrived at provides guaranteed dollars and job security, but at the same time averages a lower per year rate than the franchise tender for the next season.

Cousins' agent was being super greedy and then Kirk went out in 2016 and had some rough games against good defenses in crunch time.

So, here we are.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

The Redskins are not a cheap team overall. Trent Williams, Josh Norman, Morgan Moses, Ryan Kerrigan, Jordan Reed all received significant deals and seem happy to be here.

Cousins, though, has never been an easy sell to Snyder and Allen. And in turn Cousins has never through ACTIONS showed he really cared whether he moves on or not.

The Redskins have never been a cheap team. I don't think anyone would ever debate that.

Rarely, however, has the team shown the ability to spend wisely.

I wouldn't use the front offices track record as proof of anything in its favor in a discussion like this.

And yeah, it's always the player's fault when the Redskins screw up, isn't it? The bottom line is Moses has two years starting experience at his position and plays competently well. That apparently good enough for a top-five, long term extension.

And I agree that it is. That's how things work in the NFL.

Or at least they should.

Last edited:
With all due respect Henry, I think most NFL observes would say that Moses is much better than 'competent' as a RT.

Cooley and Doc Walker both thought he should have a pro bowler already.

My point in re the decision-making is that there are no more Albert Haynesworth signings. We are not active in free agency, throwing mega dollars after guys that have a checkered off the field past which can come back to haunt the team down the road.

We didn't go after Suh or Nick Fairley or pursue offensive players like Alshon Jeffrey that are 'on again - off again' performers whose commitment can be questioned.

This year we signed Pryor and Brown, two top end athletes, to one year deals which provide flexibility for both sides. Those are win-win.

The DL signed are under 30 and were given deals that allow the team to exit after 2 years. So, that's reasonable.

Overall, though, what shows good cap management is that the team's best players - Trent Williams, Josh Norman, Jordan Reed, Morgan Moses, Ryan Kerrigan, etc. - are the highest paid players.

We aren't riding any salaries right now where the player in question is on the team because of their potential cap hit if cut.

We spend the better part of 10 years from 2001-2010 operating in just that scenario.

Second schmekond. Not dumb by any stretch of the imagination.

Morgan Moses base salary:
2018: $3.25M (guaranteed)
2019: $4.75M (guaranteed)
2020: $4.75M ($1.203 injury guarantee)
2021: $7.5M (no guarantee)
2022: $7.5M (no guarantee)

Signing bonus- $9.5m

At 26, he is just entering his prime.

I expect him to get better. I think the team and coaches believe he will get better.

He works hard, is a good citizen on the club.

No reason not to invest in him going forward.

If we had 53 players like Moses we would already be a legit contender.

Of course it's not dumb. Extending Moses was the right thing to do.

By the way Cousins has actually played in the pro-bowl, as opposed to some people saying he should be have.

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone saying he should be have. ;)

Stupid phone [emoji846]

Oh be have.

Austin P.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.