• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins fire general manager Scot McCloughan

Posse Lover

The UDFA
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
North Carolina
I can't get the link to work... I guess Daniel Snyder is taking back the reins

I'd like to say thank you to Mr. McCloughan for his efforts during his short tenure with the team.

Over that span of time, we saw a bit of a resurgence with the franchise and a level of enjoyment that was missing from Sundays for a long, long time.

We might never find out the real truth as to why he was relieved of his duties; however, one thing I'm sure we can all agree with is that it takes some guts to work under Dan Snyder. While Scot may have possibly viewed the Washington job as an in back into the league and an opportunity that other franchises weren't willing to give him at the time, at the end of the day, he was still going to have to put up with what is seemingly a difficult owner. Nobody in their right minds should ever expect working in Washington as being all roses, and Scot certainly took a risk, especially considering his own troubled personal past history.

One thing I'd really like to see down the road is how quickly he gets scooped up by another team (if at all). I think that will be very telling in terms of where the truth lies with the fallout between him and the Redskins.

Nope, seems as if this was a palace coup by the 'Crown Prince' Bruce Allen to reassert his claim as the next in line :)

I haven't seen this in any other article, but the Post article said he is being fired for cause. If that is true, then it must be for one of two things. Either alcohol is the issue or the fact that he skipped the combine and basically stopped showing up to work. Or possibly both.

If it was purely philosophical or a power struggle, I don't think that is cause and the Redskins would probably lose in a court battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Allen is already Team President Bulldog - he already had absolute authority over McCloughan. I'm struggling to understand how he'd feel threatened by Scot McCloughan? Simpler explanations may exist.

I'm having a hard time explaining this to my kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be they were trying to give McCloughan a chance to get it together, hoping to avoid this consequence. Not saying that's the case, but they hired the guy, they've had mostly success since hiring the guy, what possible reason would they have to want him to fail? It defies logic. Logic says McCloughan couldn't keep it together. I choose to believe that is the obvious answer until I am convinced otherwise.

The timing of this firing absolutely reeks. Blaming it on drinking? Seriously? If he was likkered up in the Locker Room as the reports say, why wait until now. Something is rotten in Skinmark. I can't see a quality FA considering the Skins with everything that's going on and the FO refusing to comment. What a fustercluck!

Good Lord fellas. Sack up!

Some of the hyperbole and hysteria from fans is more embarrassing than anything the team has done.

There's still gonna be Free agency. There's still gonna be draft. There's still gonna be a season.

Daniel Snyder needs to be Team President since he is The Owner imho... FIRE :evil: Bruce Allen and bring in a GM that D.S. will trust enough to hopefully get us functional and not funky. Was Scot McCloughan that bad of a GM, I wonder or, I wonder IF the FO and The Organization is as ****'ed up as some past players and individuals say so after they leave. We always defend our team saying, they're just bitter or so forth, but damn if I'm not starting to question a lot of things that, I have always got defensive over.

Things that I see online are, they're comfortable going on with Colt as QB... WTH do you franchise Cousins for unless we are definitely up to trading him... SF is allegedly the place he wants to go, he has now demanded a trade now. If we could get their 2nd, 4th and anything else that would equal his market value, I say, "I LIKE THAT" you broke some records here, you had A LOT of great talent...do it elsewhere! Just out of spite now, I would try trading you to Buffalo or the J-E-T-S..."that's all I'm going to say about that" Forrest Gump.

Have we heard from #8's lips he demanded a trade? Saw on the NFLNetwork 30 minutes ago that he intends to sign the franchise ticket.

And, if Allen's been running things all along, where's all the koolaid drinkers from the last couple months talking about all the positives going on?

No matter who's at fault here......

Why can we not have a competent franchise here?

Do you see this crap happening in Pittsburgh? Green Bay? New England?

Hell, even freakin' Dallas comes off looking sane right now.

Not the Redskins. Drama ALWAYS churns.

Say Scot fell off the wagon. OK. This is the best they can handle it?

You know, the better PR thing would've been to make a statement that Scot has a problem, we're behind him and helping him to get treatment, in hopes he'll return.

Imagine the positive press that would've garnered? But no...let's stumble around like Otis looking for the cell door key.

IMO, it's not a very proud moment in franchise history.

Boooooooooooooooooooooo!

From the length of the statement it seems both sides signed non disclosures. Still, very sad it ended this way.

Booooooooooooooooooooo!

I don't know if this was the right move or wrong move, but it is a painful one. Sigh.

You know, the better PR thing would've been to make a statement that Scot has a problem, we're behind him and helping him to get treatment, in hopes he'll return.

Imagine the positive press that would've garnered?

There are federal laws prohibiting employers from sharing that kind of information publicly DP. The Redskins are allowed to terminate an employee for substance abuse, but broadcasting private medical information about an employee is not an option. If McCloughan had a relapse requiring his termination, the Redskins are on solid ground in how they handled it.

It's only considered drama if one chooses to.

It's unfortunate thing have gone sour with Mr McCloo. And we still DON'T KNOW HOW, or WHY it happened. And we may never. Any statement made will be challenged, by someone.
The book is closed. Time to move on.

Sun comes up in the morning.

The Redskins style of organization is dysfunctional because for most NFL clubs the 'President' role is either filled by a son or relative of the owner, a senior executive that is 'emeritus' and used to contribute in other ways to the club when they were younger, or are more business professionals that handle the dollars and cents.

Rarely do you see teams that have a Team President that is arguing with the General Manager over whether to let a 33 year old backup defensive lineman go in training camp or second-guessing who he should have picked in Round 4 of the draft.

And look at the other teams in Washington.

The GM with the Capitals, Brian McClelland, reports directly to Ted Leonsis, the owner.

There isn't any real 'middle man' to filter things through - McClelland picks the players and Leonsis provides backing for the financing of the terms of the contracts for those players. I am sure if McClelland wanted to trade Nicklas Backstrom he would have to talk it over with Leonsis before making such a move, but there is no 'Bruce Allen' type figure to intercede and take an opposing side.

Ditto with Mike Rizzo. He reports directly to the Lerners. Yes, the Lerners have turned down some trades he has wanted to make for one reason or another, but no one else is in a 'rush' to get in the elevator and get access to Ted Lerner before Rizzo can convince him to make or not make a deal.

It's not a coincidence that these clubs have an established track record of winning games and being perennial playoff contenders.

Meanwhile the Redskins finish in third or fourth place in a four team division 6 of the past 8 seasons.

And regardless of whose fault any particular action is - the truth is what John Keim said a couple of days ago.

Namely, that NOBODY except Joe Gibbs has left the Redskins on good terms with the organization since Snyder bought the team.

Guys come in here as coaches, personnel directors, scouts, etc. and after a number of years they are spit out the other side of the assembly line as 'scrap'.

So, either the WRONG guys are being hired in the first place or the atmosphere is toxic enough that petty jealousies and rivalries are enough to bring the whole show down.

well, for some Ax I guess it is 'wash, rinse, repeat' year after year. You can look forward to FA and the draft, but if the hand on the tiller is not a sure one, you are still going to be lost out at sea.

Then you look back and say 'you know this team has wasted the last XX years trying to rebuild itself back into a respectable organization' and they are as clueless now as when they started.

You can hope for great draft picks and signings, but where does the confidence come from? Who is making the decisions that you trust so that the draft produces anything of real, lasting value?

It is more like expecting pennies to rain down from heaven.

You can go through all these mocks and online draft guides, but the fact is a front office as confused as this one is likely to take a whiff on that pick at #17.

It's ironic that Allen has built this much trust here within the building when his record as GM in Tampa was really quite poor.

That was the only time he really lead the front office before coming here.

In Oakland he was a 'special assistant' to Al Davis but Mike Lombardi was the one helping Davis pick the players.

Allen was negotiating contracts.

Which is what he should be doing here with Shaffer.

Last edited:
I'm a Washington Redskins fan. When they play, I'll be watching. I find getting all lathered up over shit like this, that I have no control over, is a useless endeavor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.