• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins fire general manager Scot McCloughan

Ax, he won't get in a bidding war next year. Soon as FA begins next year he signs immediately with SF. I am sure Kyle has told him see you in 2018. Kyle has 6 year deal so doesn't have to win right away.

I think if he doesn't sign a LTD this year, I can see us doing a tag & trade next year.
On one hand, the team doesn't want to see him go with no compensation, and on the other hand, there's enough teams desperate for him, that we can be confident that a tag & trade will net something, without having to tag & pay him for the full 3rd year.

I think if he doesn't sign a LTD this year, I can see us doing a tag & trade next year.
On one hand, the team doesn't want to see him go with no compensation, and on the other hand, there's enough teams desperate for him, that we can be confident that a tag & trade will net something, without having to tag & pay him for the full 3rd year.

A tag & trade for next year is risky. 144% (3rd year tag) of this years salary is almost a $35M tag number for 2018. If there's no trade then that's the number Washington is on the hook for a one year deal. Maybe a non exclusive tag and hope that someone will take him and give up 2 first rounders (doubtful) or possibly work out a LTD with the Skins but wow, $35M for a year is a big block to overcome. That would be Washington paying him like $80M over 3 years. Obviously performance based in 2017 but taking a big chance on $$$. What would be his basis to deal with Wa next year under a tag? Probably that $35M is a starting point for year 1 because that's what he'd get in 2018 under a tag. And other teams would really be setting the bar for the Redskins offer to at least match.

He's pretty much got the Skins by the shorts now and even more so next year. If he's your guy, better to do that long term deal this year.

Couldn't the team tag Cousins one more time and then pull the tag if an acceptable deal isn't in the offing?

They can toss another franchise tag at him next year, but the cost would be around $35M - not doable.

The team can do a transition tag next year ($28M). If a team offers him a contract, the Redskins can match it and keep him. If they choose not to match, then Cousins walks and we get zero compensation - well, a third round compensatory pick in 2019 is likely.

I'm done with it and have moved on. Pretty much said that last night. Thanks.

They can toss another franchise tag at him next year, but the cost would be around $35M - not doable.

The team can do a transition tag next year ($28M). If a team offers him a contract, the Redskins can match it and keep him. If they choose not to match, then Cousins walks and we get zero compensation - well, a third round compensatory pick in 2019 is likely.

This is the factor that everyone pretending Cousins has huge leverage ignores. Effectively, the Redskins have Cousins on the hook for the next two years if they want him here. Period. The 49ers (nor anyone else) can't wait 2 years to secure a starter, and they won't. The Redskins need to do some service recovery with Cousins, assuming the rumors about his unhappiness are even reality-based, while also making it clear to him and his agent that they are fully prepared to keep Cousins here in 2018. The Redskins have all the leverage here and should use it.

The team won't want to go the transition tag route in 2018 but just the threat of it makes it obvious that the best solution is to kiss, make up, and sign a LTD.

Hey BB, can a franchise tag be withdrawn after a player signs it?

Once the Tag is signed it becomes a guaranteed 1 year contract so it cannot be withdrawn. A signed tag can be replaced with a LTD prior to July 15. It can be replaced after July 15 but only with a 1 year deal. Because the tag is signed the player would obviously have to agree to the terms of that 1 year contract. I suppose that if a team did that 1 year bit they'd being paying something like the tag plus incentives and IDK if that has ever happened but it is in the rules.

There is some language about a player not staying fit after signing the tag that allows for the team to withdraw a signed tag but not likely to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.