• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins fire general manager Scot McCloughan

Former Redskins.com lead editor/writer and in charge of social media.

Andrew Walker‏@AWalkerColts
Scot McCloughan treated everybody in the building — everybody — with respect; appreciated everybody’s job. This sucks all around.

Scott just doesn't seem to stick around long at any place he's been. Whether it's his drinking or what he wears out his welcome for one reason or another.

Imo he's gotta really be ****ing up behind the scenes to part ways in this fashion. Going beyond tying one on and bs'ing with the locker room. Maybe he's missed agent meetings or the sort.

He also coulda barged in on a redskins park tour naked & riding a Segway down the hall, hammered & yelling "whassup bitches!!!"

So far this free agent haul looks similar to the last couple of years maybe it was Bruce picking players. Lol

So far this free agent haul looks similar to the last couple of years maybe it was Bruce picking players. Lol

When it comes to Dlinemen in FA, we have an overwhelming tendency to sign other folks' backups.

Brandon Williams is already off the market. Wish we'd sign somebody impactful.

He also coulda barged in on a redskins park tour naked & riding a Segway down the hall, hammered & yelling "whassup bitches!!!"

You are one warped SOB..... God I love ya LOL

Bruce Allen is already Team President Bulldog - he already had absolute authority over McCloughan. I'm struggling to understand how he'd feel threatened by Scot McCloughan? Simpler explanations may exist.

McLovin got all the credit for any improvement. He got the blame in most cases, too, but I still believe this is about Allen not getting any of the credit for the last two years. That just couldn't sit well with him at all. Blame completely rolls off Snyder and Allen.

Snyder and Allen are completely and totally delusional, even when the team fails, even when the fans let them hear it. They honestly believe the fans buy the crap they put out. Either that or they don't care. Either one is equally bad. That they couldn't help but leak some smear about McLoving boozing it up on the way out the door is proof positive. They think they don't look like the bad guys (no one's buying it) and they want to poison the well for McLoving finding another gig because he dared to speak back to Bruce and/or Dan.

Nick

Another way to look at it, might be that this is what happened at two other locations with McCloughan. That might indicate that this is not all about Redskins dysfunction. As far as the leaking or smearing of McCloughan post firing, one could also characterize that is simply offering some balance to what is a ridiculously one-sided attack from all sides on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone, I hear what you're saying and you may be right. But I gave up on "the media is picking on us" a long time ago. Sometimes, and in the case of the Redskins, most of the time, it really is a duck.

It is certainly possible that most everyone is just making **** up, but if anyone in this equation is getting the benefit of my doubt these days, it ain't the Redskins.

That's all I'm going to say for now until we learn more.

Last edited:
Something we seem to have gained over the last two seasons is, quality depth. It's paid pretty good dividends as the seasons have progressed. Our FA signings thus far may look shaky at first, but having that quality depth is important. I'm not saying that we don't often over pay, which isn't the best thing in the world, but we also have enough young players that are still developing. I didn't like loosing Garcon, but in the end, we have young guys not getting a chance being so low on the depth chart. If we want to give Kirk a consistent group of skill players for the long haul, we have to have a younger core. I'm fairly confident that we will pin down a long term deal for Cousins, and five years from now, where will guys like Garcon be? Either just hanging on, or already done playing the game. Ya, Garcon is likely a bad example, as he could be one of those rear players playing into his late 30's, but that's the exception, not the rule. Every single player you bring is a question mark, hoping what looks like a fit will actually be one. Short of V Davis, our receiving corps is fairly young. It's time to see who shines... guys like Harris, who saw little playing time, and every indication I've seen or heard says the kid is a baller. Just because one or two good looking FA's have been scapped up by other teams already doesn't spell doom and gloom in my book. We don't know what the plan is, but it likely hasn't been devised in the past month. Let's see where it leads us.

Ya, I may make jokes about the wheels falling off, but in reality, I'm not freaking out over this. Yup, it sucks, but we're not as bad off as perceived by the media. If the scouting department is as solid as we've been led to believe, we won't let perception become reality....

Oops... posted in the wrong thread.... doh

I have come full circle from an optimist to being absolutely convinced this team is doomed with current management. I'm with Bulldog...what a dysfunctional embarrassment. Even more reason to not be tuning in as often, pretty likely I cancel Sunday Ticket now....this team is a joke.

Thanks for the link to Woody's piece, Boone. I've always found his stuff about as reliable and objective as anyone who covers the Skins.

Given Scot McCloughan’s history, you wondered.

When he arrived at training camp practices, his face red, and not the kind of red that occurs from being in the sun too long, you wondered.

When you talked to him coming off the field after a summer practice and got a whiff of what smelled like alcohol on his breath, you wondered.

When you saw him in the locker room after a regular-season victory, a wide smile on his, again, deeply flushed face, you wondered.

McCloughan came to the Washington after losing jobs with two teams – San Francisco and Seattle – because of his struggles to control what he had termed his abuse of alcohol.

Thursday, he lost a third NFL job, and alcohol abuse again appears to be the reason.

He was fired as general manager of the Redskins, a good job to have but a tough job to perform under even the best circumstances. And from all appearances and at least one report, in his two years in Washington, McCloughan didn’t give himself a chance to be at his best.

The Washington Post reported, based on "an official with direct knowledge of the situation," McCloughan was fired because of his continued problems with alcohol.

Where McCloughan goes from here – rehab is the hope – is unknown. He’s not talking – and hasn’t talked for months – and the Redskins aren’t saying anything other than what they offered in a press release, that he had been released from his duties with the organization, effective immediately.

No team is likely to be interested in dealing with him after what was seen as a last chance to prove he had beaten his problem and could put together a playoff roster.

This is a shame. McCloughan knows football. The game has been his life. But he needs to get his life under control before he even thinks about watching a game, studying film or evaluating a single player.

How the Redskins will handle free agency and the draft is secondary to the specter of a man’s life becoming undone, again, because of personal demons.

McCloughan at his best was a rare talent evaluator, a scout at heart who was able to find talented players in the middle and lower rounds of the draft and in free agency for coaches to develop.

He did it in Washington with wide receiver Jamison Crowder in the fourth round, defensive back Kyshoen Jarrett (his career was cut short by an injury late in his rookie season) from Virginia Tech in the sixth round, and running back Robert Kelley, a college free agent who became the starting running back last season as a rookie.

McCloughan’s overall record with the Redskins, though, has been mixed. He drafted a solid starter, Brandon Scherff, with the fifth overall pick in the 2015 draft. Scherff was projected as a right tackle but was moved to right guard in his first training camp.

The fifth overall pick is a premium price for a right guard although Scherff was selected, but opted not to play, for last season’s Pro Bowl. Other draftees, outside linebacker Preston Smith, a second-round choice in 2015, and running back Matt Jones, a third-round pick in 2015, have failed to develop as hoped.

Jones lost his starting job last season to Kelley, who proved to be a more dependable, powerful and consistent performer.

Last year’s first-round selection, wide receiver Josh Doctson, played sparingly in two games and missed the other 14 because of an Achilles tendon injury.

All that seems trivial compared to the idea of someone fighting for so much more than just his career.

The NFL is a high-risk, high-reward business.

The Redskins took a big risk when they gave McCloughan control of their personnel decisions. As it turned out for them, and, sadly, for McCloughan, there has been no reward.

Worth a read.

He mentions that our FA additions this week were McLovin picks.

My Day 1 of the League Year wrap, leading with what went wrong in Washington. https://t.co/hrQhX1HSdH

I'm a little suspect of a piece about McCloughan's ouster with this being the only mention of the alcohol problem, which at this point is no longer rumor.

The rumors of his past battles with alcohol resurfacing were more sinister.

I suppose it's possible Bruce Allen is really an insecure, power-hungry empty suit, and that he and the boy owner are so shallow and professionally incompetent and dysfunctional that they are willing to risk a slander suit by falsely accusing an employee of drinking on the job, all so they can "take credit" for the slight movement toward respectability the past two years, but ... no, actually, I don't find that believable at all.

Does anyone here? Seriously?

Worth a read.

He mentions that our FA additions this week were McLovin picks.

My Day 1 of the League Year wrap, leading with what went wrong in Washington. https://t.co/hrQhX1HSdH

Meh. The only thing in there worth any value is what you posted about the FA being on McLoughan's list. The rest is just opinion based on rumors like most of the rest. Of course, whatever really happened, perception has become the reality.

it's tough to say, Om. Power struggles have happened here for years. Bingo callers brought in, etc.

But not just here. We've seen it in San Fran. Where they dumped Harbaugh and immediately went from SB contenders to 2-14.

As far as the alcohol goes? I always believed he was drinking. I hate stereotypes but they exist because they are mainly true. White men can't dance or jump, and a bright red face on a 47 year old Irish guy 99 times out of 100 means that he's drinking.

With that said, drinking in Ashburn seems to be the norm. Bruce is known to be a heavy drinker, Gruden had a DUI, and reports (and pictures) suggest that every office there has alcohol in it.

Boone, I hear what you're saying and you may be right. But I gave up on "the media is picking on us" a long time ago. Sometimes, and in the case of the Redskins, most of the time, it really is a duck.

It is certainly possible that most everyone is just making **** up, but if anyone in this equation is getting the benefit of my doubt these days, it ain't the Redskins.

That's all I'm going to say for now until we learn more.

I get it - I'm a Redskins fan (and no Dan Snyder fan). Couple additional comments... First of all, the idea that Bruce Allen is this vindictive, petty, overreacting SOB, I've never heard a sniff of that kind of characterization previously. A yes man? Self-promoter? Glad handing suit? Marginal football knowledge? Those may all be true. But heartless, conniving, scheming bastard? Not buying it.

I know I keep saying it - but I have to ask if the other 2 teams McCloughan was summarily dismissed from - were they also evil incarnate? Did they fabricate McCloughan's alcoholism? I think we all know the answer to it.

The Redskins were/are going to get pilloried in this situation no matter what they did (I am making the assumption that his termination was alcohol-related). And we don't know what they have and haven't done. Perhaps they made his continued employment contingent on him going to rehab and he was unwilling to do that. Not saying that is the case, but if they did, would that not immediately put an entirely different spin on this? Folks are posting about what a great guy McCloughan is. I don't think that's in dispute - but what does it really have to do with anything? McCloughan has to have some major culpability in what transpired here and in his own termination.

All I'm hearing as the alternative explanation is how horrible Snyder and Allen are, how this is all about power (which Allen and Snyder already had a firm grip on), and conspiracy theory. Some reporters are openly suggesting the team engaged Chris Cooley in the effort to destroy McCloughan...I just think that's way beyond the pale.

Sometimes, the most obvious explanation - we should consider - may be the explanation. McCloughan is being treated like some infallible folk hero. He may simply be an alcoholic who has not been able to overcome his illness. It's sad, but the fact that folks hate Dan Snyder and that he may well be a reprehensible human being doesn't make Scot McCloughan a victim in this situation.

McD, I'm not sure if you're being serious in that post or not.

If you are, I suppose that's one way to look at it---not mine, but definitely a way.

And if you're not ... lol. :)

Looking only at the alcohol side of the equation, I guess my only question is "What did the Redskins try?"
I would have liked to see a leave of absence. I'd like to have seen other supports. Now, supposedly McCloughan has been to rehab and that didn't help, but when taking on a known risk like this what did they do to try to make sure it would work? Could they have done more? Should they have done more?

Understood Boone. I'm just saying that reporters aren't automatically wrong simply because they are saying something we don't like hearing. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the Redskins. We'll see.

Bruce Allen is already Team President Bulldog - he already had absolute authority over McCloughan. I'm struggling to understand how he'd feel threatened by Scot McCloughan? Simpler explanations may exist.

All I'm hearing as the alternative explanation is how horrible Snyder and Allen are, how this is all about power (which Allen and Snyder already had a firm grip on), and conspiracy theory.

I would like to address this line of thinking, though. The simple answer is: Why would Jerry Jones need to fire Jimmy Johnson? Stupid stuff like that happens ALL the time in the NFL. Allen may be This or he may be That, but his title and job description certainly wouldn't prevent him from firing a dude for something petty like Who Should Get The Credit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.