• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Phones, Gadgets, and Man Toys

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I'm a big fan of tech gadgets and toys. First post here is related to the great phone debacle of 2016. Brother Om and I were at the beach with our people last summer and my first misstep was dropping my phone while in the bathroom. Watched it bounce off the sink into the toilet. Zap! Dead iPhone. So I have a replacement phone overnighted to me. Last night at the beach, we decide to truck down to the end of the island and do a little night fishing. I'm paranoid about my phone, so put it in a ziploc in the tackle box. Buddy Sam catches a beautiful little sand shark and asks me to take a picture. Sam is jumping around like a little girl, not wanting to take it off the line. I do it for him, in the process putting my phone in my pocket. 2 minutes later, I wander into the surf to cast again. And yes - brand new phone is in pocket.

Sheesh. 2 phones in 4 days - has to be a record.

Stop at the Verizon store on the way home from the beach and get my 3rd phone. I was in such a hurry I didn't notice that I'd gotten the woefully inadequate 16gb version of the iPhone 6S. I lived with it through the fall and winter, but have fatigued of constantly having to reconfigure storage space. Just purchased a new 256gb iPhone 7.

Phone arrives tomorrow. Don't you love the feeling of a new toy arriving? I got the black version. Don't know if anyone has the new 7 but it's got stereo speakers, wireless earphones (no earphone jack), a much better camera, and something call a 'Taptic engine' home button (no actual button, but software simulates the feeling of pressing a button). I am looking forward to not having to worry about memory. Got some very nice Bose wireless sport headphone buds to go with it, and a otterbox case.

Best thing about this phone? Apple claims the phone can be submerged in a foot of water for 30 minutes and survive. I don't plan on putting this to the test, but it's nice to know that if I do have additional future brain farts, my sins will be forgiven.

Also looking forward to not having to buy a new phone for 3 or 4 years.

Now if I can just convince my wife to lose the slide phone circa 2001 she's been using as long as I can remember.

I have the jet black 7 also. Lots of reports about it being easily scratched but I don't use a case at all and no scratches. Btw- there are now wireless buds available but the phone comes with the same old wired ones.

I now have nearly every light in the house and on the patio voice controlled along with ceiling fans and thermostats. Now if I can only get Alexa to make me a sandwich.

I have the jet black 7 also. Lots of reports about it being easily scratched but I don't use a case at all and no scratches. Btw- there are now wireless buds available but the phone comes with the same old wired ones.

Good to know. I went with the standard black vs. jet black. And tell Alexa I want mustard on the pastrami.

I now have nearly every light in the house and on the patio voice controlled along with ceiling fans and thermostats. Now if I can only get Alexa to make me a sandwich.

What lights/technology are you using? I have a Google Home and just recently put in Phillips Hue lights in my living to try it out. I haven't gotten into any automated rules, but like being able to turn them on when I'm driving up and setting the colors for different mood lighting.

I control everything using the Amazon Echo. I have Phillips Hue bulbs and Hue Blooms, Nest thermostat, Haiku fans and lights, and use TP-Link wifi switches for things that aren't smart bulb compatible like ceiling and patio lights.

Chris, does the amount of access Amazon now has to your home not concern you? I know the Echo is "voice activated", but the recent court case before a circuit court exposed the ability to record everything that goes on inside your house.

I'll stick with turning lights on by hand, paying with cash and buying insurance for my phone because it will eventually get submerged in water.

As for gadgets/tech stuff I would like, I'd love to try this on for size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1166859&gclid=CMfy1vrRwNICFRGBswodLsgB3g&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678642%2C&is=REG&A=details

E- they can record anything they want. Obama probably has me wire-tapped anyway. :doh1:

E- they can record anything they want. Obama probably has me wire-tapped anyway. :doh1:

Really. If you have a smart phone, you can be recorded. Privacy is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.