A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Is it August yet?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Jay Gruden Nets 2 year Contract Extention

    Congrats to Jay. Now, it becomes much more important and less important to sign Kirk simultaneously. More important because Kirk's a key to driving Jay's system. Less important, because if they do lose Kirk, Pierre, and Desean they are all but starting over on offense and he has more than one year to get it done. Still, let's hope the Redskins are building and not rebuilding.

    Re-signing the head coach suggests that the intention is to do the former.

    3 reasons why contract extension for Jay Gruden makes sense | CSN Mid-Atlantic

    3 REASONS WHY CONTRACT EXTENSION FOR JAY GRUDEN MAKES SENSE

    January and Feburary were rough months for the Redskins, but so far, March is improving. While the front office remains in a state of confusion with general manager Scot McCloughan not joining team officials at the NFL Scouting Combine, there is no such uncertainty with the coaching staff, especially with the news late Saturday night that head coach Jay Gruden agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Burgundy and Gold, per multiple reports.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2

    NFL Pickem Champion 2015

    Join Date
    08-04-09
    Location
    Sparta,NC
    Posts
    2,662
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    No one in the circle of Redskins beat writers saw this coming.

    They didn't know until the Redskins announced it.

    Had that been Vinny, it would've been leaked weeks ago.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I think this is pretty god news. I still have mixed feelings about Jay, but if we look at him in cup terms... while my cup does not runneth over with him as the HC. It is more than half full. I still have significant questions about him, but think he is in that solid/good range of coaches. I don't think he's showed us great or genius. Still, this team needs stability and if they can become a consistently good team that will be a big step up from the Zorn, Shanny years.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,218
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Jay Gruden Nets 2 year Contract Extention

    Ive been saying for awhile that this should've been one of the Skins moves. So I'm not surprised.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boone; 03-05-17 at 10:42 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  5. #5

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Cape Coral Fl
    Posts
    2,764
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Of course, Florio has to put a fairly bad spin on it. I'm no huge Gruden fan, but the team has at least shown forward progress, and some consistency under his leadership. Better then we've seen in many years, which ain't sayin a lot, but it is saying something.

    Kirk, it's your move buddy.... stop jackin around, and put pen to paper, you coach is in place for at least three more years.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,218
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    I think this is pretty god news. I still have mixed feelings about Jay, but if we look at him in cup terms... while my cup does not runneth over with him as the HC. It is more than half full. I still have significant questions about him, but think he is in that solid/good range of coaches. I don't think he's showed us great or genius. Still, this team needs stability and if they can become a consistently good team that will be a big step up from the Zorn, Shanny years.
    I think a fair acknowledgment would be as follows:

    1) Gruden came into DC his first season, spoke the truth, made it clear the best player with the best work ethic would be under center.
    2) Against intense fan and possibly even owner pressure, Gruden ignored his critics and moved on from RG3.
    3) Gruden rallied his guys in year 2 to an incredible stretch of wins culminating in an NFC East championship and first home playoff game in eons.
    4) Gruden helped grow Sean McVay and Kirk Cousins leading to record-shattering offensive performances.
    5) Under Gruden, setting aside the last 30-60 days, the Redskins have had the quietest, most drama free run since Dan Snyder became owner.
    6) Redskins have, under Gruden's leadership, had their first consecutive winning seasons in a long time.

    Of course there are negatives. Some feel he was 'unprofessional' in his dealings with RG3 (although the proof is in the pudding on that front imho). The team faded down the stretch last year missing the playoffs. Gruden's ability to adjust after the half has been inconsistent. He still struggles with clock and in-game management at times. And he continues to have a tendency to abandon the run in games. Biggest valid criticism for me was his hiring of Joe Barry as DC - as there was no even decent proven track record to suggest Barry could build a successful NFL defense in DC. That decision cost us a chance at the post-season. How well the coaches he hired to replace those lost this offseason may determine if this is the last extension Gruden ever gets here.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  7. #7
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,646
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    This should have been done months ago. The day they released Barry, they should have signed Gruden to an extension. They may have had a better shot at a more talented DC. I am not sold on Manusky.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  8. #8
    NFL Pickem Champion 2018
    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Montclair, VA
    Posts
    4,358
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Virginia Tech

    Default

    Hard to see this as anything but a positive. Stability, commitment to an ongoing build, a clear open-for-business signal to prospective hires.

    I also have a feeling the timing is not coincidental ... hard to see it as anything but a plus in the Kirk Cousins negotiations.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

    Eschew obfuscation.

  9. #9
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,646
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Hard to see this as anything but a positive. Stability, commitment to an ongoing build, a clear open-for-business signal to prospective hires.

    I also have a feeling the timing is not coincidental ... hard to see it as anything but a plus in the Kirk Cousins negotiations.
    If they'd done this when they fired Barry, I'd agree...but they let this linger and make the decision...when? According to Thom Loverro, at Prime 47? I know how absurd that thinking is, but it feeds tha narrative so many buy into because of these idiots.

    So much for the drama free.

    My point is the drama could have been avoided. If you're going to extend a coach in the off-season, do him, the players, potential coaches, and the fans a favor and do it early to avoid this BS.

    I'm suggesting the wheels fall off the bus within the year, this extension means nothing if Gruden doesn't win at least 9 with a playoff birth. You guys understand we're going into year 5 and there has been only one season with which we can celebrate? You really think it will get better with him and McCloughan M.I.A. (legitmately or not)?

    Then again, I was told I was over reacting before, only to see my vision come true. This team is in trouble and the sharks are circling for blood for a reason.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,218
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Well, when you overreact to everything, you're bound to be right once in awhile

    I agree, there was no rational reason to wait so late to extend him. It does feed the narrative. I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and do it when it would have maximum impact. Perhaps they were still considering...
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  11. #11
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Well, when you overreact to everything, you're bound to be right once in awhile

    I agree, there was no rational reason to wait so late to extend him. It does feed the narrative. I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and do it when it would have maximum impact. Perhaps they were still considering...
    It's been a weird off season. Seems like they're doing everything in super-slow motion. They're being hyper cautious about everything and everyone. I mean if we believe the reports (and I don't know that I do) they haven't talked to Jackson's or Garcon's people yet. They basically didn't talk to Cousins until after applying the tag. The decision on the coach's extension came pretty late. Just feel like they are slow pitching the entire off season. It doesn't really make sense to me.

    If it were me and I know I wanted Gruden I would have gotten that done immediately. As soon as I was allowed to make an offer to Cousins I would have not sent out a standard opening bid, but a "okay kid you won the bet here's a serious offer" bid. I would have met and talked with every free agent (whether we wanted them or not and got a feeler for what they are looking for).

    Now, maybe they did all these things. The rumormill says that they've done none of it. It's bizarre to me. Bad for morale and good for confusion. I don't mind negotiating hardball, but hardball still requires you throwing out a pitch.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  12. #12

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,979
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I think a fair acknowledgment would be as follows:

    1) Gruden came into DC his first season, spoke the truth, made it clear the best player with the best work ethic would be under center.
    2) Against intense fan and possibly even owner pressure, Gruden ignored his critics and moved on from RG3.
    3) Gruden rallied his guys in year 2 to an incredible stretch of wins culminating in an NFC East championship and first home playoff game in eons.
    4) Gruden helped grow Sean McVay and Kirk Cousins leading to record-shattering offensive performances.
    5) Under Gruden, setting aside the last 30-60 days, the Redskins have had the quietest, most drama free run since Dan Snyder became owner.
    6) Redskins have, under Gruden's leadership, had their first consecutive winning seasons in a long time.

    Of course there are negatives. Some feel he was 'unprofessional' in his dealings with RG3 (although the proof is in the pudding on that front imho). The team faded down the stretch last year missing the playoffs. Gruden's ability to adjust after the half has been inconsistent. He still struggles with clock and in-game management at times. And he continues to have a tendency to abandon the run in games. Biggest valid criticism for me was his hiring of Joe Barry as DC - as there was no even decent proven track record to suggest Barry could build a successful NFL defense in DC. That decision cost us a chance at the post-season. How well the coaches he hired to replace those lost this offseason may determine if this is the last extension Gruden ever gets here.
    A far too generous assessment, IMHO.

    But I still wish him the best of luck, here.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  13. #13

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,218
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    A far too generous assessment, IMHO.

    But I still wish him the best of luck, here.
    Aren't those 6 points essentially facts though Ax? I suppose your list of negatives is 4x longer than mine, but in terms of the positives, can any of that be disputed?


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  14. #14

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,979
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Aren't those 6 points essentially facts though Ax? I suppose your list of negatives is 4x longer than mine, but in terms of the positives, can any of that be disputed?
    Well, I'll touch on them one by one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I think a fair acknowledgment would be as follows:

    1) Gruden came into DC his first season, spoke the truth, made it clear the best player with the best work ethic would be under center.
    He did come in saying the best players would play. Everywhere, not just under center. But I know I'm not alone in believing, for whatever the reason, he knew RGIII was not what he wanted very early on. I'd say before the regular season started. And then he failed to do what he said he would, for whatever reason. You know my stance has always been that the guaranteed contract gave him the power, and the cover, to make the move to #8 that 1st year. But he lacked to balls to do it.
    So, part fact, part opinion. With no way of knowing how it actually went down.

    2) Against intense fan and possibly even owner pressure, Gruden ignored his critics and moved on from RG3.
    The team moving on is fact. Whether Gruden was the sole voice can't be proven. As stated above, I believed he lacked the sack. And we can't know the level of involvement of all involved, especially Mr McCloo.
    So again, part fact, part opinion.
    3) Gruden rallied his guys in year 2 to an incredible stretch of wins culminating in an NFC East championship and first home playoff game in eons.
    It's a fact the team rallied. It's also a fact that a head coach will usually get the lions share of credit. The reality is, many things were involved in the rally. Not just Gruden. And in a year when the division title was laid out for the taking, it can be legitimately argued that poor coaching/decisions led to losses that would have changed the season to one that wouldn't have required the late rally.
    So again, facts are present. But opinion is more prevalent.
    4) Gruden helped grow Sean McVay and Kirk Cousins leading to record-shattering offensive performances.
    Fact.
    But as everyone knows, I'm not that high on stats. Having lofty numbers without reaching the main goal of good post season play, is like buying a pretty couch that no one is allowed to sit on. Looks good. But it's more useless than not.
    5) Under Gruden, setting aside the last 30-60 days, the Redskins have had the quietest, most drama free run since Dan Snyder became owner.
    Though I too share the thought about it being quieter, and drama free, it's impossible to give Gruden exclusive credit. So, eliminate the "Under Gruden" beginning, and I'm on board. However, this is strictly opinion. Just ask the jackals at the WP.
    (6) Redskins have, under Gruden's leadership, had their first consecutive winning seasons in a long time.
    Two consecutive winning seasons is a fact. I would say, during Gruden's tenure, is also fact. But I know I'm not the only one who questions his "leadership" ability. Yeah, it's a play on words. But the way you worded it suggests it's all credit goes to Gruden's leadership. And that is most definitely, opinion.

    As for this...
    Of course there are negatives. Some feel he was 'unprofessional' in his dealings with RG3 (although the proof is in the pudding on that front imho).He was absolutely unprofessional in the way he talked about a player to the press. That it was about RGIII, is secondary. So I fail to see the pudding proof. It's wrong, and extremely rare for any head coach to do it like he did.The team faded down the stretch last year missing the playoffs. Gruden's ability to adjust after the half has been inconsistent.You say inconsistent. I say non existent. He still struggles with clock and in-game management at times. I would replace "at times", with a period. End of sentence. And he continues to have a tendency to abandon the run in games. I would say he still demonstrates a disdain for the running game. Just as many former QB's tend to. Biggest valid criticism for me was his hiring of Joe Barry as DC - as there was no even decent proven track record to suggest Barry could build a successful NFL defense in DC. That decision cost us a chance at the post-season. How well the coaches he hired to replace those lost this offseason may determine if this is the last extension Gruden ever gets here.
    Pretty much agree here. Though I was more vocally hopeful than some that he would succeed. Meaning that I was doing Koolaid shooters right up to the end.
    Last edited by Ax; 03-06-17 at 10:41 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  15. #15

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,691
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    I'm suggesting the wheels fall off the bus within the year, this extension means nothing if Gruden doesn't win at least 9 with a playoff birth. You guys understand we're going into year 5 and there has been only one season with which we can celebrate? You really think it will get better with him and McCloughan M.I.A. (legitmately or not)?
    If we don't win at least 9 ad a playoff berth this year Gruden should be fired. However, an extension now is a good thing. It's a vote of confidence in both the coach and the players and the direction this team is taking. It's also the first time under Snyder any coach has gotten an extension. It doesn't make us the Steelers but it's a step in the right direction.

    Then again, I was told I was over reacting before, only to see my vision come true. This team is in trouble and the sharks are circling for blood for a reason.
    There are more question marks surrounding this team than there should be. That is why the sharks are circling. This move removes one of those question marks. Sure, it was a little late, but to be fair we don't have a ton of experience with coaches that actually don't colossally suck around here.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  16. #16

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,218
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Thanks for the detailed response Ax ... I can see where you are coming from.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  17. #17

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,979
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Sure thing Brother.

    We all want success here. Nothing I'd love more than to see Gruden win multiple Super Bowls here with the Redskins.

    Even with as insufferable as McD would be.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  18. #18
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    05-17-10
    Posts
    1,239
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Navy

    Default

    This extension isn't just cosmetics it's fully guaranteed which is smart on Grudens part. Under normal contracts they are not guaranteed which means he is here 2 more years at the least

    they could have begun negotiations after the season ended sometimes you hear team and coach working on extension and it's a long time before anything is finalized.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,780
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    I think Gruden deserves a chance to show what he can do when he actually has an NFL defense to depend upon

    The Redskins front office really blew the 2015 offseason.

    We already had a top 10 offense coming off that playoff season but had a defense that didn't stand up against better competition.

    But instead of fortifying the defense for 2016, McCloughan and the front office decided to keep adding pieces to the offense including #1 pick Josh Doctson and free agent Vernon Davis, and largely ignored the defensive front seven and the situation at safety.

    We only drafted ONE defensive lineman and that was in the fifth round!

    Our only free agent signings on the DL were minimum deals for Ziggy Hood and Kendall Reyes.

    The team took advantage of the contract issue Josh Norman had in Carolina to sign him as a free agent late in the offseason, but everyone knows the strength of a defense is largely determined by what happens in the front seven.

    One outstanding/pro bowl corner is not going to improve a defense as much as an impact pass rushing DE or interior anchor at DT.

    No doubt Gruden was livid that the organization set him up so that his offense had to score 28-30 points a game to have a chance to win.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-16, 04:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-14, 04:54 PM
  3. The Contract Year Phenomenon Revisited
    By BGO in forum NFL News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-14, 04:03 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-14, 12:50 PM
  5. DHall Signed to 1 Year Contract
    By Boone in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-07-13, 09:17 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •