• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Campbell vs. Portis Thread (merged)

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

Wow...don't know who's been keeping up with this, but Portis was on 106.7 earlier today and essentially questioned Campbell's leadership, and whether or not he should be captain.

Well, Campbell answered, and answered with vigor. Took his glove off, and smacked Portis off his feet. I am very proud of JC, and think he will be back while Portis is looking for a new team/retiring this offseason.

Here is the link to Campbell's comments, I don't have a link to Portis' interview:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-campbell/campbell-fires-back-at-portis.html

Campbell blasts Portis

With little to lose, the kids are going at it.

I'm happy Campbell didn't do what we would call the right thing here, and just let it go. Weather he's here or not next season, I'm thrilled he gave Portis a bit of his own medicine

Wp Story link

They can both leave. Portis is a poor excuse for a teammate and Campbell is a poor excuse for an on-field leader.

Clinton Portis' comments are inexcusable. I don't like Jason Campbell as the Redskins quarterback, but this is something that has been long overdue, and it's too bad Campbell didn't hold other players accountable sooner instead of when he's about to be shipped off. I'm reminded of when there was conflict between Philip Rivers and LaDainian Tomlinson a couple of years ago, and it was all for the best with neither losing face, but Rivers becoming the clear leader of the team.

I pray it's an uncapped year.

Not so the team can rebuild.

Not so we can do some cap friendly moves.

I pray it's an uncapped year so we can get rid of this self centered, cancerous asshole.

And while I'm no big fan of JC's, I'm glad he finally fired back at Portis' over active mouth. And guess what? Campbell stood in there and took a stoning every week while Portis was playing cheerleader and nursing a concussion. He stood in there while CP padded his mangina and took the rest of the year off. Would Riggins have gone on IR for a headache? Hell no. Riggins laid in traction all week one year so he could play on the the weekend with the team.

You know CP, team? The rest of the guys you play with. As the old saying goes, there is no "I" in team, but there certainly are two "I's" in Clinton Portis.

**** you CP, Get your sorry ass on a bus and get the hell out of here.

And I'm sooooooooooo glad you didn't get Riggins' record either. You couldn't carry his smelly, sweat soaked jock

Rage off :soapbox: :cuss:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear he doesn't have a lot of locker room friends either.

Another issue for Shanny to address

Portis needs to go. This team will instantly improve without his diva attitude.
For some time felt he was a cancer in the locker room. Interestingly in the Portis interview he never said anything about trying to get a teammate (Sellers) benched.

I have a feeling any diva's left on the team better check their ego's at the door. From what I've read Shanahan will not put up with this.

The follow-up story is already up.

Campbell: Portis calls to clear the air
Just received a text from quarterback Jason Campbell, who said running back Clinton Portis called to clear the air about his comments today regarding Campbell's leadership ability.

blah blah blah, and

Campbell declined to reveal the specifics of his conversation with Portis, but "we're just going to move on," the text read. "We don't want to have any issues out there between us for the offseason, so we're just going to squash all of this right now."

blah blah blah, and

In texts I received from several of Campbell's teammates, they told me they were glad Campbell spoke out. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Campbell as a quarterback, his teammates wrote, he leads by example, and his toughness and dedication to his teammates is considered second to none in the locker room.

Emphasis mine. Some pretty juicy stuff in there.

Of course Campbell would come out and say "we decided to squash the beef." He called out Portis, Portis came crying back like the baby he is, and Campbell did what any good leader would do, he forgave him publicly. But, Portis is all alone in the lockerroom, and will be shipped as soon as its possible. IMO.

And while I'm no big fan of JC's, I'm glad he finally fired back at Portis' over active mouth. And guess what? Campbell stood in there and took a stoning every week while Portis was playing cheerleader and nursing a concussion. He stood in there while CP padded his mangina and took the rest of the year off. Would Riggins have gone on IR for a headache? Hell no. Riggins laid in traction all week one year so he could play on the the weekend with the team.

While I am not thrilled with the comments Portis made, this is going a bit far, Sarge. Concussions are nothing to mess around with and no one but Portis knows for sure what was going on in his head. Maybe he was pulling a fast one and maybe he wasn't but in a day where these guys often ignore injuries that should not be ignored in the name of playing the game I'm not going to assume the worst when a guy says something is wrong.

Does Portis need to shut up? Yes.

Do we need to let him alone on the injury front? Yes.

And if it were somebody like London Fletcher, I'd agree and give them the benefit of hte doubt. But Portis has been running his yap for awhile now and has probably been goldbricking since the end of last season. Sorry, no slack from me

Campbell is a 100 percent effort guy and a quality character.

While I am not as sure as Joe Theismann that Campbell still has a greater upside in the NFL, I do believe that if it came down to it I would easily make the decision to retain Campbell for another year and jettison Portis.

As Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson have shown, 1,000 yard rushers can be acquired in free agency.

No reason to continue suffering #26 on the roster.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Yeesh. That's some harsh stuff there.

If Portis' teammates have soured on him so much I don't see how he's not done here. Wow.

Yeesh. That's some harsh stuff there.

If Portis' teammates have soured on him so much I don't see how he's not done here. Wow.

Like I said in the other thread - it will be a great litmus test as to how much power thedanny still wields. Both Shanahan and Allen HAVE to see the writing on the wall. Shanny saw it in Denver, which is why he shipped Portis to us in the first place. If CP is around in 2010, it will only be because Snyder put his tiny little foot down and made it so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.