• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce, Scot and the Front Office.

And you guys forget, McCloughan was out of football having just been fired from his second gig for not being able to stay sober. He was lucky the Tedskins were willing to take a chance on him. I'm not sure at that time that giving him absolute power and authority would e been a sound decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is important to remember. Could the team really just turn over 100% control to a risky McLovin? Probably not. What if Bruce had been fired and Scot relapsed?

The present and possibly future concerns are the issue. Scot has some input but Bruce runs the show, etc.

Bruce,Scot and the Front Office.

I personally wonder if maybe Cooley is right and McLovin is in the middle of a personal crisis. Trying to protect him and get him back on track might be as reasonable an explanation for some of the things being reported as some conspiracy theory about Bruce Allen being a power hungry bastard. I've never liked Allen much in terms of being a football guy, but he's always struck me as a pretty decent man. I'd be surprised if this is about protecting his position or some big power struggle.

Dammit why can't this team have some stability and good luck fall it's way.

I'm not worrying about a potential power struggle or not. It's just when I saw we were thinking of giving up KC and #17 for #2 pick sent shivers down my spine. This has shades of Vinny deal making all over again.

You got a hot commodity that is in high demand. Make someone else give up their first and a 2nd or 3rd at a minimum. This is a situation where you throw value chart out the window. Get couple teams interested and raise the stakes.

This is if we don't plan to give him a long term deal.

Since everyone likes to float out theories with no evidence and based on rumors and random comments, I'll throw one out there. What if the reporters are making up stuff to get the notoriously oversensitive front office to respond to something. When is the last time the Redskins have been quiet about anything? Just start throwing stuff out there based on anonymous sources, opinions based on past history, an idea someone floated in a random conversation, or just make up your own scenario. Depending on how the team reacts will let the media know which idea is the closest to being right.

I don't know if this is true. I don't know if any of this is true. None of us do and that includes these pundits who are being driven mad by the silence. But with all the stuff coming out, someone is eventually bound to be right.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Happy the FO hasn't taken the bait from the local unimPRESSed thus far.

Working on the upcoming free agent period/contracts/combine/draft is the ONLY thing they should be concentrating on.

That's one approach. On the other hand it would be simple enough to put this to bed with a joint Allen/McCloughan statement. I don't know what is gained by allowing rumors to swirl - it likely has a detrimental effect. If I'm a talented free agent, I probably find DC a less desirable destination based on media reports. If the Redskins PR team doesn't shape the news, the media will just make it up. So I can't agree radio silence is the way to go in this situation. Other than taking pleasure in not giving the media the satisfaction of a response, what's gained by not responding?

I'll add that I think allowing the perception that Gruden (and/or) McLovin may be on the hot seat is decidedly unhelpful in terms of ensuring free agents we WANT to hold onto here, or making the Redskins a desirable franchise for talent to sign with. Now - if Gruden and/or McLovin ARE on the hot seat, well, I guess we're just screwed.

Something Redskins fans are well-accustomed to unfortunately.

Last edited:
A statement wouldn't satisfy the press. They want a press conference.

Until proven otherwise, I'll hold out hope that they are not bowing to a press that feels entitled to be answered to.

If it's truly happening, NOTHING will make a difference.

But it might reinforce an image that things are not imploding which IS helpful to potential free agents and (God forbid) the fan base.

Screw the media. I, as a fan, would like it addressed. If it's all ado about nothing- put a statement to that effect on the team website. If there is truth to it- say nothing. IMO saying nothing makes me believe there is validity to the rumors.

I'm not sure how I feel about all this at this point. The usual swirl of "reports" and speculation based on zero actual information is just the same old tired dance, and I ain't particularly feeling the beat.

Bottom line, I don't really care who is the GM here. Just so we HAVE one that's competent.

Scott M has only been here two years--I'm not ready to go to war on his behalf yet. It's been nice to put back-to-back winning seasons together, no doubt, but I'm not sure how much of that he gets "credit" for, particularly since many of the key players (Cousins, Reed, Jackson, Garcon, Trent, Karrigan ...) and the head coach all preceded his arrival. We don't know if he's been hamstrung by Allen/Snyder or not. If he has, we don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing, because we don't know the actual dynamic. What we DO know is that two years into the Great Redskins GM Experiment, our defense still sucks. We don't know how much "blame" Scott gets for that, either, since apparently we don't know who's actually making the decisions.

To me, how we deal with getting Kirk signed (or not), how we do in FA and how we draft this year will probably set the tone for the next several years. We do well, field a competent defense and continue to show overall growth while contending for the playoffs in 2017, and I think we get extensions on both the HC and the GM. We do poorly, continue to suck on defense, and take any marked step back in terms of W/L record, and like most of you I suspect I'll be watching from between my fingers as next offseason features the kind of sea change we're all too familiar with around here.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think the changes in the staff has somewhat guaranteed Gruden stays as he is the only one with stability and what success we have had will be his to carry over. I can live with that. Also expect significant personnel/player changes. We may be a team that is a better team than last year but have a worse record. It will take some time to jell again, and the jury is out on the defense. Don't expect draftees to make a difference on D. Its tough to step in and be an impact difference maker right off. I do think we need to shore up the running game. Gruden's gonna have to make an adjustment there to be successful next year. Need a stud RB imho. first get the D line straight and in a hurry. Otherwise Dallas will kill our playoff chances every year.

Well, Bruce Allen's football reputation has been rehabilitated with the development of a number of his draft picks into solid contributors here.

At the end of last year he had Spencer Long, Morgan Moses and Trent Murphy - all from the 2014 draft he led - as regulars in the Redskins lineup. Other guys like Breeland had solid seasons in 2014 and 2015 and still are young enough to come back and be core players for the future.

McCloughan has produced Brandon Scherff as a pro bowl guard, but with the investment of the #5 overall pick in the draft.

He brought in Preston Smith who has athletic upside but appears to be a lukewarm work ethic guy who is happy to be earning a solid NFL paycheck. He doesn't seem driven to be one of the best. We can go games without hearing his number called or seeing him make any impact plays.

Matt Jones was a guy a lot of draft sites had as a late middle round pick, #5 or #6 rounds.

We took him as a #3 pick and gave him the RB job without competition. He certainly hasn't lived up to that kind of trust.

He may not even be back next year.

Another McCloughan pick, Arie Kouandjio in Round #4, has been here for the past couple of years trying to unseat a veteran in Shawn Lauvao whose performances are uneven at best and overall mediocre given his $5M cap figure.

But he remains with the team largely because Kouandjio hasn't been able to improve enough to make him expendable.

So, we haven't exactly seen the kind of knock-out drafts in 2015 or 2016 from McCloughan that we saw from Beathard in 1981 or 1983 - or more importantly we saw from the 49ers and Seattle Seahawks who seemed to stockpile good young talent with a bunch of middle round picks.

The record here has been spotty. For every good move there has been a corresponding move that was a disappointment.

That's better than the Vinny period where for every 4 decisions that were made, 3 of them were horrendous :laugh:

But we are still not in a zone for rapid improvement and a clear bright future the way it appears the Cowboys and Raiders now are.

Eh...he's had two drafts. Not that much of a sample size imo.
Give the guy a little time?

Beathard's Redskins reputation mainly lives off of two drafts out of a ten year period...it wasn't like he was knocking it out of the park every year.

This offseason has been very discouraging so far for me. We seem to be right on the verge of becoming a dumpster fire…..again. I’ve just kinda had it.

We have the QB issue that has been beaten to death on every sports outlet in DC to the point where whenever I hear speculation about it now it makes me want to unplug from the world and move to Guam. Now comes the rumors of problems in the front office. Wonderful! I guess this was always going to be the second phase.

I’ve read the articles and I’ve heard the speculation. Experience of following this team since Dan bought it has taught me that anything you hear might be true (and at times it might be worse). Still, some of it doesn’t add up for me.

If Scot isn’t in charge of personnel moves why does it seem like he and Kirk have a high level of personal animosity? Well, let’s just say that it seems Kirk has some personal animosity towards Scot. I know they’ve been negotiating a deal but “You like that”, the head rub, “How do you like me now”. None of that seemed to be directed at Bruce. It seemed to be all at Scot.

If you’re Kirk why get mad at Scot if he isn’t really the guy in charge? Seems simpler for Kirk just to go around him. It’s not like other players haven’t done that here before. It just seems that if Bruce thought Scot was mishandling the Kirk situation he’d simply overrule him. Unless he was looking for a fall guy. Which is possible I guess.

The bottom line is that we as fans are all tired of this crap. If all of this “bringing in a real GM” stuff they said when they hired Scot was BS then I’m convinced this team will never turn the corner.

I have a totally different take...'You like that?!' Was directed at the media - I have seen or heard nothing to indicate it had anything to do with McCloughan? The head pat seemed like good-natured ribbing to me. I think Cousins is very confident and that's all those displays were about. Could be wrong I guess...

I stopped the daily watching of sports tv drivel, and listening to sports talk radio over a year ago. Unless there is actual news happening. It's amazing how much less worrysome things are now. The only place I get any negativity is here. Which is far less maddening. Much more thought out. And carries a larger degree of intelligence and honesty. Though it too is often wrong.

Just ask me. ;)

I have a totally different take...'You like that?!' Was directed at the media - I have seen or heard nothing to indicate it had anything to do with McCloughan? The head pat seemed like good-natured ribbing to me. I think Cousins is very confident and that's all those displays were about. Could be wrong I guess...

I could have misread it. Wouldn't be the first time, ask my wife.

"You Like That" was definitely directed at the media.

But the, "How do you like me now" was most definitely a swipe at Mr McCloo.

Right after #8 threw the season ending int against the Giants, I said, out loud, "Why don't you go get in Scots face and ask him how he likes you NOW!"

As has been said before, if that was a game winning, playoff clinching TD instead, it's very doubtful #8 wouldn't already be under the long term deal he desires.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.