• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Opinion: Could Todd Collins be the starting QB in 2010?

Blackjack

Camp Fodder
Reaction score
We currently have the rights to:

Colt Brennan
Jason Campbell
Todd Collins

Everyone seems to be wondering if Campbell will be retained, if we'll start a rookie quarterback from the 2010 Draft, or if Colt Brennan will get the nod.

But what about Todd Collins? Intelligence is a trait that Mike Shanahan loves, and Colilns has gobs of it. He's obviously smart enough to process Al Saunders' 700-page playbook, and he's obviously smart enough to teach himself to play at a professional level through purely mental reps, and he's played just as well as Jason Campbell under Jim Zorn in the few opportunities he had, despite getting less repetitions and less playing opportunity in both the preseason and regular season. In fact, there was an article last year about how Todd Collins would ask the coaches questions about protection schemes because Campbell was too embarassed to ask them himself.

He seems to be the forgotten man, but I hope Mike Shanahan takes a good long look at Todd Collins.

Just curious, where did you get the idea that Todd Collins has gobs of intelligence? I have seen him in a number of interviews and he doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. I am not saying he is dumb, but gobs of intelligence? He was in a system under Al Suanders that he mastered after 5 years in it in KC. It was this system that enabled him his only glimpse of significant success in the NFL, the 4 game run.

Did you see him against the Chiefs? I know our line was horrendous, but he made rookie mistakes in that game.

Too old. Time to cut him loose! At the beginning of this season I suggested we cut Jason Campbell loose and let Collins start. I believe I was wrong. Some say we would have had more wins with Collins starting over Campbell. I say, Collins would have been broken by the middle of the season.

Just curious, where did you get the idea that Todd Collins has gobs of intelligence? I have seen him in a number of interviews and he doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. I am not saying he is dumb, but gobs of intelligence? He was in a system under Al Suanders that he mastered after 5 years in it in KC. It was this system that enabled him his only glimpse of significant success in the NFL, the 4 game run.

Did you see him against the Chiefs? I know our line was horrendous, but he made rookie mistakes in that game.

Too old. Time to cut him loose! At the beginning of this season I suggested we cut Jason Campbell loose and let Collins start. I believe I was wrong. Some say we would have had more wins with Collins starting over Campbell. I say, Collins would have been broken by the middle of the season.

The fact that he is able to execute a 700-page playbook tells me he's intelligent enough. Not all quarterbacks can do that, no matter how much time they're given. Also, I did see Todd Collins in the Chiefs game... He didn't do any worse than Jason Campbell, nor did he do any worse than Campbell in the preseason this year or last, despite taking less repetitions. I would argue he actually did better, but that's a different debate.

Also, here is a quote from Al Saunders during Todd Collins' first preseason here:

"He's brilliant. If you ask people who know Todd, one of the first things they would make a reference to is his intelligence."

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd have to vote a big 'no' on that. Collins is a fine backup, but if we are going to go with someone new, it should be someone new and young.

While obviously Todd Collins is not the answer for the future, I just would not be surprised if he was annointed as the stopgap quarterback, and not Jason Campbell (or Colt Brennan) as some have suggested.

Would much rather see him than Campbell. He has a superior grasp of the position and would assimilate Shanahan's offense much more quickly.

To top it off, we wouldn't hear about "he's had to learn x systems in x years" excuse train so often trotted out in defense of Campbell. :)

Our O-line is in shambles and Collins has no mobility.

one good hit and he's done. Then you'd have to rely on a benched Campbell, a inexperienced Brennan or a rookie to finish the season.

pass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.