• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Congratulations Greg Manusky, New Defensive Coordinator!

I believe this is the highest staff position a former Redskin alumni has held with the team ?
Gotta go back to Richie Petitbon maybe, for the last time a player reached this high with the team.
And gotta wonder if he'd make a better Special Teams coach than a DC, considering ST is where he excelled.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> have hired Jim Tomsula as Dline coach. He worked with Manusky and McCloughan in San Fran as their Dline coach from '07-14 <a href="https://t.co/OgYhjKpuHU">pic.twitter.com/OgYhjKpuHU</a></p>— Carol Maloney (@carolmaloney4) <a href="https://twitter.com/carolmaloney4/status/823306390307487744">January 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Manusky going to get the (49ers) band back together? Wonder if Jason Tarver is next to fill his own position?

Is Dennis Thurman going to be the next secondary coach?

That's one of the speculative reasons given for why we were bringing in so many candidates for this DC job.

We get to interview and consider some guys for other positions on the defensive staff.

Tomsula was horribly miscast as a HC in San Francisco, that was a Trent Baalke- Jed York screw-up.

But he was effective as a DL coach. Of course, SF had solid defensive talent in the front seven.

So, again the question goes back to what McCloughan is going to do in free agency with $65M in cap space and with the draft.

During those four years in SF the team changed an OC and/or a HC each year. Maybe you could say that the change between 2009-2010 doesn't count because Tomsula took over at game 16 in 2010. Granted that's the offense side but it also shows a Front Office that was entirely dysfunctional.

HC's during his time there:

2007 Mike Nolan.
2008 Nolan was fired and replaced with Singletary half way through the season.
2009 Singletary all year and
2010 Singletary fired at the end of the year and replaced with Tomsula for the last game.

Maybe it makes no difference but I'm of the mind that some stability would have helped.
Scot was there for 3 of those years, 2 of them (2008 & 2009) as a GM and the VP of Player Personnel prior to that, which I think is pretty much the same thing as a GM as far as drafting players. Baalke took over from McCloughan in 2010.

That's 2 HC's and 2 GM's in 4 years.

As far as the Colts - they still can't put together an OLine to protect Luck let alone build a defense. Grigson was hired the same year as Manusky in Indy. How Ryan lasted there this long (finally fired) is astonishing considering his poor drafts and FA acquisitions, or the lack thereof.

I believe this is the highest staff position a former Redskin alumni has held with the team ?
Gotta go back to Richie Petitbon maybe, for the last time a player reached this high with the team.
And gotta wonder if he'd make a better Special Teams coach than a DC, considering ST is where he excelled.
Jack Pardee - Head Coach

Great points John :cheers:

My take? Norval Gruden is looking to get a year vacation with pay.

Nick

What was most troubling about Gruden is the Redskins as a team simply failed to show up to play against the Panthers and Giants at the end of the season, costing a playoff spot.

Those were important games for us, at home, against one opponent in Carolina that was already out of the playoff picture and another one that is in our division.

How can you not get up for these games as a team?

Against, Carolina Cousins and the team weren't even competitive.

This to me is more troubling than some of the clock management issues or whether we settled on the right running back in training camp.

I hated when Shanahan hired Haz, didn't trust Gruden after hiring Barry over Phillips but this time maybe it's just because he was a former Redskins player I don't immediately think Haz 2.0 even though he has had similar results.

I can't ignore the fact that he had the 49ers D at 16 in points in 2010, after he was fired the next 3 years they were 2, 2, and 3. The Chargers D got worse in 2011 and he was fired again. The Colts D sucked before he got there and continued to suck while he was DC. He never improved a defense and ours already sucks.

Not much to get excited about as far as I can tell but we probably can't get any worse on 3rd down.

During those four years in SF the team changed an OC and/or a HC each year. Maybe you could say that the change between 2009-2010 doesn't count because Tomsula took over at game 16 in 2010. Granted that's the offense side but it also shows a Front Office that was entirely dysfunctional.

HC's during his time there:

2007 Mike Nolan.
2008 Nolan was fired and replaced with Singletary half way through the season.
2009 Singletary all year and
2010 Singletary fired at the end of the year and replaced with Tomsula for the last game.

Maybe it makes no difference but I'm of the mind that some stability would have helped.
Scot was there for 3 of those years, 2 of them (2008 & 2009) as a GM and the VP of Player Personnel prior to that, which I think is pretty much the same thing as a GM as far as drafting players. Baalke took over from McCloughan in 2010.

That's 2 HC's and 2 GM's in 4 years.

As far as the Colts - they still can't put together an OLine to protect Luck let alone build a defense. Grigson was hired the same year as Manusky in Indy. How Ryan lasted there this long (finally fired) is astonishing considering his poor drafts and FA acquisitions, or the lack thereof.

LOL This is the stuff I think about when looking at a Co-Ordinators stats. What was the team like around him?

I don't have the time to research this stuff so thanks for looking this stuff our John :D

This whole offseason process has been simultaneously maddening and reassuring.

While we've watched DC prospects come and go with or without interviews te frequent question has often been something similar to "What gives, why didn't they hire that guy?" In the past the inevitable conclusion was dysfunction and lack of trust in the front office to either be patient with results or competent in acquiring players. I don't believe either of those to be the case now. The impatience with coaches theme just hasn't been reality for over a decade now. Fans and the lazy media might still be running with that theme but I think agents and people who actually work in the business are savvy enough to have noticed the changes in that regard. Are expectations high? Of course but that's universal with Redskins fans, we demand excellence even if we haven't had much of it for the last 25 years.

FO incompetence has been eliminated with McG coming in, I am a true believe of his so I am more than willing to sit back and let the man work. I have to admit to being a bit perplexed with things like not offering up the farm for Phillips, or the hiring or keeping of some other coaches but McG's track record is long and proven and plenty to keep me waiting patiently. I think what might have been missed in this debate is the fract that he's thorough and undoubtedly has a plan. I'm guessing he was just doing due diligence with all of the interviews even goofy ones like Ryan. 3 years ago those interviews would have freaked me out, but not now. We have a guy who knows what he's doing. Like E and a few others I was critical of the lack of focus on d line last year but overall his plan has seemingly started to work. Better coaching and things look even better. I like this promotion and see a lot of upside to it. McG just needs to keep digging and this team will continue to improve which is something we haven't seen in a long time.

Now the HC? Meh...I'm still not much of a believer.

Agents simply line up the interviews and I assume negotiate the pay packages.

The decision regarding whether they actually come to work at Redskins Park is always with the individual.

There's too many things we don't know.

Were some Coaches coming in to interview because they wanted to? Or was it a part of THEIR due diligence as they also interviewed elsewhere? Who knows if any of them truly wanted to come here, or just use an interview here as a leverage tool to another job elsewhere.
Maybe the package that was put on the table from the Skins wasn't as impressive as the one from the Rams, or Chargers or whoever.
Was it the Redskins doing their own Due Diligence? Had they already decided to promote from within but just wanted to make sure their ducks were in a row?
Maybe Wade made it clear he had no interest in coming here.

The old adage - marry in haste, repent at leisure - could apply here. Maybe in taking their time they've come to the right decision.

Orrrrrr maybe we just missed the boat.

Have to admit I'm pretty ambivalent towards the moves. Don't think they're bad. Don't think they're a particular improvement either.

But I comfort myself with the knowledge that surely as long as we splash some cash on the Defense it can't get any worse? Can it?

Great points, Sir Knight (is that redundant?). Negotiation tactics on both sides also. Even if one panda isn't really interested in the other panda anyone else they may be negotiating with in earnest can't be sure that one of those pandas won't sign/be signed elsewhere.

Looks like the Skins were willing to wait on Bradley and when that didn't happen they went with plan B, so due diligence paid off. If Gus was their #1 guy then I don't see a problem with waiting. Kinda like the draft, if your guy comes up and he is your guy you get him, if not plan B.

Dunno, but believe he has been a 3-4 guy throughout his career so doubt that would change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks meaner than Joe Barry. That's a good thing, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.